chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun1nth3sun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

This is what I project my application to look like in the next cycle. I will be applying next cycle.

3.4 cGPA/3.25 BCMP GPA I have a huge upward trend:
Freshmen gpa: 2.7
Sophmore gpa: 3.5
Junior gpa: 4.0

I will be applying in the summer before my Senior year.

BS degree in Medical Laboratory Science

6 months of clinical experience in Medical Technology at UMB school of Medicine
1 year volunteering in ER at hospital
1 year volunteering at Homeless Shelter
1.5 years working as a private tutor
1 semester of research at college

Work experience:
1 year working as Pharmacy tech (CVS)
1 year working as Overnight Associate (Walmart)

Life experience:
Lived on my own for more than a year in Canada (for what its worth)

30 hours shadowing an MD

MCAT: Will take in April

I am bilingual- I speak French, Arabic, and English
(Currently learning Spanish on my own)

Thoughts on my chances of being accepted? Should I go D.O?
Is my gpa too low for M.D??

Also, Do you think experience as a pharmacy technician would be looked down upon? Do you think Medical schools could potentially ask me questions like..."Why Medicine and not pharmacy?" I am prepared to answer those questions but I was just wondering.

Also, could experience as a lead pharmacist be looked at, as a leadership position??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!

This is what I project my application to look like in the next cycle. I will be applying next cycle.

Work experience:

Life experience:

30 hours shadowing an MD

Also, Do you think experience as a pharmacy technician would be looked down upon? Do you think Medical schools could potentially ask me questions like..."Why Medicine and not pharmacy?" I am prepared to answer those questions but I was just wondering.

Also, could experience as a lead pharmacist be looked at, as a leadership position??

Thanks!
Your best shot is DO...You will need a 26+ mcat for that. For MD, 33+ mcat might get you in. I think the pharm tech expererience is great...It will not be looked down upon.

Hello Everyone!

Work experience:
Life experience:
30 hours shadowing an MD
Thanks!

Hey OP!

First--Welcome to SDN!

Second--Your GPA is a bit low for the average MD acceptance---DO I cannot comment. The upward trend would definitely help. Your MCAT score will be a BIG factor on whether you get some invites to lower tier schools but even then it will be an uphill fight OP.

Second--You're trilingual, not bilingual, so congrats on that! A great achievement! I don't believe the pharmacy tech position will hurt you--it's a good paying job for students. A position as lead pharmacy technician could be seen as leadership if you spinned it in the right direction. Were you actively managing others in the pharmacy?

Third--Your ECs seem fine--so good job on that!

Final Thoughts--you seem good for MD if you can bring your stats up a bit more.

Lets hope a more senior member can come in and offer options for your next step.

Good luck OP!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone!

Work experience:

Life experience:

30 hours shadowing an MD

Thanks!

According to what you've posted this is the summer before your senior year? So you would be applying now? Also I had a very similar trend to yours and also worked in a Pharmacy. So keep up with my MDApps for more information about my luck this cycle.

According to what you've posted this is the summer before your senior year? So you would be applying now? Also I had a very similar trend to yours and also worked in a Pharmacy. So keep up with my MDApps for more information about my luck this cycle.

Oh no sorry. I am actually entering my junior year..So I will apply next cycle. I was just predicting my gpa ...if I get 4.0 these next two semesters. Wow Good Luck! What is your MCAT score? Hopefully you will get some interviews :)

Hey OP!

First--Welcome to SDN!

Second--Your GPA is a bit low for the average MD acceptance---DO I cannot comment. The upward trend would definitely help. Your MCAT score will be a BIG factor on whether you get some invites to lower tier schools but even then it will be an uphill fight OP.

Second--You're trilingual, not bilingual, so congrats on that! A great achievement! I don't believe the pharmacy tech position will hurt you--it's a good paying job for students. A position as lead pharmacy technician could be seen as leadership if you spinned it in the right direction. Were you actively managing others in the pharmacy?

Third--Your ECs seem fine--so good job on that!

Final Thoughts--you seem good for MD if you can bring your stats up a bit more.

Lets hope a more senior member can come in and offer options for your next step.

Good luck OP!

Thanks for your thoughts! I really appreciate it. I know MCAT will play a big role here. I am considering taking it earlier than April, just so if I will have time to retake it in time for the next cycle. Do you think my E.C`s are okay? Are they average. I know my E.C`s just typical, but I am trying to find other ways to stand out..through my personal essay? If that helps.

Also, I am from a third world country, does that make me an URM? Is URM status just given to all minorities? or is it given certain ethnic groups? I am from Morocco so I am technically a minority?