Change in Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm really interested in changing careers to dental. However, I have an undergrad degree in Business with a GPA of 2.5. My job is with NASA and my promotion potential is capped out. I'm considering going back to school and doing another bachelor's degree in Biology, or maybe I should just take the perquisites and try to make A's in all those courses.
Do the admissions people just look at your overall GPA or science grades? I'm not sure how this works.

If someone would give me an honest answer as to my chances of getting in that would be great! I know my GPA is really low for dental school, so you won't hurt my feelings. But it's just something I'm really interested in and trying to figure out...

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

They consider all grades but they are clearly going to see its been a while since you're first BA and since they are intelligent people they are going to realize you are more mature now and more dedicated. Working at NASA is good, shows commitment if you worked there for a long time.

Go to college and get A's on your prereqs
Score high on whatever test dental students take
Get that GPA up to >3.0.
Get some shadowing/volunteer time in.
Apply to some schools and do a good interview.

Like the rest of us non-trads you are mature, you have had a real job, you know the real world and how lucky you will be to get a shot at a new career. They know you won't throw it away or take it for granted. Being a non-trad with a steady career history is a huge plus in my book. It sets you apart and gives you a better perspective on EVERYTHING. Just think about how dumb you were when you were 21 or so. You can beat these kids out, now go do it.

Thanks for the information, I really think I'm going to give this a try. It's a huge investment on my part so I'm really nervous. I don't want to waste my time and money and not get in, I would be devastated...
Thanks!

Thanks for the information, I really think I'm going to give this a try. It's a huge investment on my part so I'm really nervous. I don't want to waste my time and money and not get in, I would be devastated...
Thanks!

Research the schools you would be interested in and find out their applicant/acceptance stats.