Change It Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If it were up to me, I'd get rid of...

• General Chemistry

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • General Biology

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Organic Chemistry

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Physics

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • English

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters

scarecrow90

n00b
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you ever found yourself wondering, "Why am I taking this class?" or "How is this going to help me to become the physician that I desire to be?"

I am currently asking myself that question while taking physics. Don't get me wrong - I'm not here to complain. I love math (and let's be real, that's pretty much what physics is). Nonetheless, I don't understand why it's a prereq.

I decided to make this a thread because I wanted to see if y'all had similar opinions or if you think that there should be classes added to prereqs? Taken away? How about no prereqs at all? Especially with upcoming new MCAT, it seems that the tides a shifting (hopefully for the better).

Here's a short little article about it:

http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2010/07/30/should-doctors-have-to-take-ph/

:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

The problem is, if they get rid or reduce one hoop, they'll just add more like biochem, psychology, sociology or something.

Possibly, yes. But wouldn't you find that taking biochem/psych/socio to be more applicable to the doc you want to become? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
You need physics to understand the "how it works" in biomechanics, BP, EKG, EMG, CT scan, MRI, PET, radiation therapy, etc. It's like orgo. You only need to know the big concepts. I don't know of anyone who opened a chemistry or physics textbook in med school.

(BTW math is not physics. I know some math people who couldn't solve freshman physics problems. Not all science is mathematical, and not everything mathematical is science.)

I had to take Calc 2 for my Biology major. Yeah, that was real fun.

Spent 2-3 hours a day in the tutoring room because I suck at math. Luckily I ended up with an A.

Just jump the hoops. Study it, learn it, ace it.

You need physics to understand the "how it works" in biomechanics, BP, EKG, EMG, CT scan, MRI, PET, radiation therapy, etc. It's like orgo. You only need to know the big concepts. I don't know of anyone who opened a chemistry or physics textbook in med school.

(BTW math is not physics. I know some math people who couldn't solve freshman physics problems. Not all science is mathematical, and not everything mathematical is science.)

I personally like that we have to take physics and other basic sciences. It makes us more well rounded than other pre-health students that only take subjects on health (anatomy, physiology etc..) during undergrad. I agree with the above poster it creates more of a sense of the big picture and critical thinking skills.

Having said this, I wouldn't mind if they added biochem or psych to the pre-reqs.

I would not take anything off...personally I would not want a doctor who couldn't pass college physics, as well as any other pre-req.

I think they should add calculus to the list though

I would not take anything off...personally I would not want a doctor who couldn't pass college physics, as well as any other pre-req.

I think they should add calculus to the list though

.... I know ton of doctors who have admitted to have gotten Cs in calculus. One who matriculated into a top 10 med school and is a top tier surgeon in our state. Calculus SHOULD never be needed or required to get into medical school. Physics is a must IMO. It is important. Calculus??? No. I struggled with calculus but enjoy the physics I take. I take engineering-calc based physics. It's not too bad. Only 30% of the test was calc based on concepts but algebra could also figure out 80% of the concepts. Sometimes, it did require pure calculus. Our midterms and finals really made you think. One of those classes, where you should probably sleep more the night before than try to study all night. On our exams, one mistake could cost you 30 points. One of those classes that everyone talked about the questions/answers after and were able to pretty much predict their grade. Usually we were spot on with our predictions.

Last edited:
A lot of schools are already substituting biochem for orgo 2 and a lot of the require 6 hrs of social science classes and genetics also.

Calculus is not necessary - unless you're shooting for radiation oncology. Even then, you just need to know the fundamentals, since there is software that takes care of the math.

there is software that will figure out every problem for every class...but like every class, an overall understanding is the point for med schools...I know most people won't agree with that, just my opinion

Honestly, I think they're all worthwhile. While I don't have to figure out ochem rxns or calculate how far something will fly when leaving the ground at x angle and y velocity. I can say having a thorough understanding of those undergrad courses is helpful if not essential to me now in many cases.

Have you ever found yourself wondering, "Why am I taking this class?" or "How is this going to help me to become the physician that I desire to be?"

I am currently asking myself that question while taking physics. Don't get me wrong - I'm not here to complain. I love math (and let's be real, that's pretty much what physics is). Nonetheless, I don't understand why it's a prereq.

I decided to make this a thread because I wanted to see if y'all had similar opinions or if you think that there should be classes added to prereqs? Taken away? How about no prereqs at all? Especially with upcoming new MCAT, it seems that the tides a shifting (hopefully for the better).

Here's a short little article about it:

http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2010/07/30/should-doctors-have-to-take-ph/

:cool:

You definitely need a basic understanding of physics to understand fluid dynamic/circulation problems in physiology.

Honestly, I think they're all worthwhile. While I don't have to figure out ochem rxns or calculate how far something will fly when leaving the ground at x angle and y velocity. I can say having a thorough understanding of those undergrad courses is helpful if not essential to me now in many cases.

Agreed. Also, as physicians, we should be scientifically literate; the prereqs, including physics, help with that.

Calculus at my undergrad was really annoying, because when I took it they decided to combine the Business and Life Science majors into one class. One minute we're doing decay equations, the next we're doing something about inventory levels.

Calculus at my undergrad was really annoying, because when I took it they decided to combine the Business and Life Science majors into one class. One minute we're doing decay equations, the next we're doing something about inventory levels.

Yeah I took 1.5 years of engineering calculus. Took quite a toll on my GPA. :( Had to take it for my major. Despite being a Life Science major I take a lot of engineering based classes.

I loved calculus and took three semesters of it followed by Differential Equations, but I do not think it should be in anyway required for med school.