Change Residency Status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saggese

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Connecticut resident who goes to UNC Greensboro. I have had an apartment for 2 years now and am eligible to switch to North Carolina residency. My top dental schools are UNC and UConn and I am trying to figure out if I should change my residency or not. I don't know which resident status would give me the best shot in getting into dental school.

Do northern DS give priority to northern residents? UConn seems to only accept ~60% in-state; is there not many Connecticut residents applying or what?

Basically, which state would give me the best shot? Also ECU just opened in NC and only accepts in-state students.. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

68 instate vs. 21instate the choice is obvious

I think going for the NC residency is a better idea. Between the two schools there are about 100+ seats open for in-staters. Compare that with UConn's approx 30 seats, I think being a NC resident will give you a huge leg up with getting into an in-state school. Unless you are set on UConn, I would apply for NC residency.