Change/"Transfer" to a different Post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allopa_thicc

Reaction score
Hi all -

So I'm a semester into my post-bacc and really am not feeling like this specific school is a good fit for me, I'm hoping I can maybe gain some insights/advice from the wonderful humans here in SDN.

Briefly, I'm 25 years old--been working at a psychiatric inpatient unit (just came up on my four-year anniversary) that I recently switched to per diem hours for while completing my classes. I've got ~150 service hours total, though about 50 of those hours are healthcare-oriented. My undergrad GPA sits at around 2.9, so as a career-changer I was very proud of my first semester in this post-bacc where my sGPA was a 3.5. Still, I know I've got ways to go in being a competitive applicant.

I faced a similar process in my undergrad and transferred schools where I succeeded in my now alma mater, that being said, changing post-baccs is a much different process based on what I've gathered and I want to be mindful of how that looks on my transcript(s) in the future.

(TL;DR) I've highlighted that my overarching problem with my school is that it is far from me and the location is desolate. I commute to save money while also being an accessible distance from my job and drive about 1h15m to get to my school's campus. My school is a small liberal arts college in western Massachusetts (~1100 students total) and the only other things within a 10 mile radius of the campus are graveyards and churches. With these gas prices and lack of class offerings, I have found myself in a lifestyle that does not feel sustainable, and I want to consider other resourceful post-baccs closer to me. I've taken the summer sessions off to prepare more applications and work/volunteer in the meantime.

I could talk about my professors' lack of motivation to help me identify other resources for service and their unusual lack of compassion when I was caring for a dying family member during the semester, but those are trivial details at this point and I am not trying to use this as a platform to dump on them. These are simply additional details in my growing disappointment with the school.

I've talked to a couple peers of mine--several of whom are entering medical school this fall-- and some have told me to change schools because "you should be comfortable in your academic environment, especially given the importance of these grades for med school," while others have told me to stay "because if you can't survive one semester at this program, how will med schools know you'll survive their curriculum?"

My "problems" that i've shelled out in this post probably sound sheltered and whiny, to which I apologize if they do, and I would appreciate some insights as to how I should continue on with the fall semester quickly approaching if anyone has the time/shared a similar experience. If I was unclear or you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Goro!! just the person for advice :')

It's actually a formal post bacc, which I've come to understand as problematic if I'm looking to change schools...

Last edited: