changing a grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaos

Web Crawler
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that grades are subjective, yatta yatta, but if you think your grade from an attending for one month of a rotation (say, medicine) is unfair or not reflective of your work and think it should be changed, is it worth pursuing? Or will you be digging your own grave?

Members don't see this ad.

*crickets chirping*

I don't know how this works at other schools, but at mine, it's just a waste of time to try to change grades. The only way they'll even consider talking to you about it is if there's a factual, objective error. Even then, it's extremely unlikely that they'll change the grade. This happened to my friend and while they did take some inappropriate written comments out of her eval, her actual grade stayed the same.

However, I don't think you'd be "digging your own grave" if you asked the clerkship director the reasoning behind the grade you were given. I did this on a couple of occasions when the reason wasn't immediately obvious to me, and found that people were more than willing to talk with me. I think it helps to phrase it in a way that suggests you'd like to learn what you can do to improve your performance. But I wouldn't talk to them with the expectation that they'll change it, because you'll likely be disappointed.

(I just have to say it one more time - stupid third year grades!)