Changing Specialty as an attending as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonnichowdhury

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
How can I get clincial experience for other Specialty after my completion of IM residency in the US as I don't want to practice IM anymore (Attending now) and I was an IMG in the US so I don't have clincial experience of the Specialty I seek now?

Members don't see this ad.

I would talk to my colleagues and other department staff.

How can I get clincial experience for other Specialty after my completion of IM residency in the US as I don't want to practice IM anymore (Attending now) and I was an IMG in the US so I don't have clincial experience of the Specialty I seek now?

What do you want to do into?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you want to do into?
I want Surgical Specialty now but since I am a graduate now so I cannot do electives anymore so how can I get clinical experience in the surgical Specialty as an attending in IM?

I would talk to my colleagues and other department staff.
Would they let me have hands on experience in surgery even if I am a IM attending since I have graduated so I cannot do clerkships anymore? What should I do now?

Talk to the respective program director - you will have to redo your residency.

Yeah I know about that I can Redo the residency and I don't have a problem with that What I am confused about is I will not have the specified Specialty Clinical Experience in the US and for IMGs once you graduated from med school you cannot do clinical electives so how can I get clinical electives in my now interested Specialty? Please anything you know about please help??
Talk to the respective program director - you will have to redo your residency.

Clinicals are for medical students not attendings. I suppose you could do observerships, but the reality is that a surgical sub specialty is not likely to happen. I am also confused, are you currently in IM residency in the US, or are you assuming that you will get one?

Clinicals are for medical students not attendings. I suppose you could do observerships, but the reality is that a surgical sub specialty is not likely to happen. I am also confused, are you currently in IM residency in the US, or are you assuming that you will get one?
I am not saying I want surgical subspecialty. I am an IM resident right now and once I am become attending I want to change my residency and go to GS so my question is since I am graduated and will be an attending can I do clinical electives in GS so that my chance of matching becomes higher if I do clinical electives. But the problem is once graduated you cannot do clinical electives so my question is as I will be an IM attending will I be given the opportunity to do clinical electives in GS?

I am not saying I want surgical subspecialty. I am an IM resident right now and once I am become attending I want to change my residency and go to GS so my question is since I am graduated and will be an attending can I do clinical electives in GS so that my chance of matching becomes higher if I do clinical electives. But the problem is once graduated you cannot do clinical electives so my question is as I will be an IM attending will I be given the opportunity to do clinical electives in GS?
If your residency is in the US you might be able to schedule it during an elective for your program. I don't believe doing rotations as an attending is a thing. @SouthernSurgeon maybe has a suggestion.

If your residency is in the US you might be able to schedule it during an elective for your program. I don't believe doing rotations as an attending is a thing. @SouthernSurgeon maybe has a suggestion.
So while being an IM resident I can do clinical Rotations in GS ? but since I am already graduated will I be allowed to do that in my residency. I don't get it please sort out my confusion.

So while being an IM resident I can do clinical Rotations in GS ? but since I am already graduated will I be allowed to do that in my residency. I don't get it please sort out my confusion.
Have you finished residency? When will you finish residency?
Talk to your faculty to see if you can do an observer-ship or something. You cannot do clinical rotations in surgery since you are not a medical student.

Reactions: 1 user