Changing eligibility period

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batmanrocks1977

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im doing a research fellowship and want to see if I can change the eligibility period for my step 1 exam from the original date(which is the period right after the end of my MS2) to the period right before I would start my MS3 year(it gives me a little extra time to study as well as enables me to go into MS3 with the info still in my head). Are there any consequences of doing that(ie, cancelling my original period or not showing up to the exam) and renewing it for a later period? For residencies, are there any records/indications that indicate to directors that I was schedule to have taken it, but cancelled or didnt not show up for, if I end up taking it at later date?

From my impressions with my conversations with the NBME staff, the only consequence is that I have to pay $500 for a new eligibility period. Can anyone confirm that or give me their take?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From what I remember reading (can't recall if it was from Student Doctor or from the NBME guidelines) is that no such information is reported. As I understood it, there are no consequences, and it is very common for students to change their test date or eligibility period or both.

You should note that you can apply for a one-time eligibility period extension without paying the original $500+ test fee if it's the next eligibility period. You can only do this once. If you apply for an eligibility period that's after your next one, then you have to pay the $500+ fee :/ (yeah, ridiculous)

You cannot be fully eligible, however, until you pay any test cancellation fees to Prometric. I think this usually this occurs if you cancelled your test within 30 days before the test.

I was supposed to take my test at the end of June but didn't feel ready, so I canceled my test, paid the cancellation fee, and then applied for the one-time next eligibility period ($65).

lol, I can't even imagine how this would be reported to residencies (it's just a way for NBME services to make money) and I'm highly certain that no residency would care. They just want the score.

Hope this helps!

Hi i am an IMG...i am in the process of reapplying for step 1...I have exceeded the eligibility extension period of 3 months apart from the 3 months that the nbme allotted to take the exam...so if i have to REAPPLY along with paying the whole fee once more ,exactly after how many days should i reapply or can I sent the application right after my eligibility period ends...????....kindly help:oops: