Changing fields (Math/CS -> Pre-Med), advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a 3rd year Mathematics & Computer Science double major at a top ten school. A strange and unlikely scenario has caused me realize I have a strong passion for medicine and am in the wrong field. I'm planning on spending three more years in college to complete a CS degree so I've got time to add medical school-specific extracurricular activities & volunteer hours. Below are my stats. Any advice on improving them would be appreciated.

GPA: 4.0
Major: Mathematics & Computer Science (both theory focused)
Transferred from CC (graduated, also 4.0 GPA)
MCAT: Not taken yet.
Race/Gender/Age: Caucasian male, 22 this summer.

Experience & EC:

• Six month: Biology REU.
  • Two Years: Math & Science Tutor (Master Level Certified by CRLA)
  • One Year: CS Club (will be VP Academics next year)
  • One Year: Mathematics Club active member
  • One Month: Founded "Build It" Club
    • Each semester a different project.
    • This semester: Homemade pedal/Electric Bicycles
    • Going to try to get High Schoolers involved as after school activity.
  • 20 Hours: Shadowing MD over Spring Break
  • Nonexistent: Volunteering

Plans:

• Get EMT-B certified over summer.
  • Shadowing different doctors & at different hospitals.
  • Volunteering at hospitals.

As you can see, aside from my GPA, I'm pretty weak at the moment. Beyond becoming EMT-B certified and volunteering/shadowing at hospitals I'm not sure how to improve. Having read these forums that doesn't sound like my plans are enough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As you can see, aside from my GPA, I'm pretty weak at the moment. Beyond becoming EMT-B certified and volunteering/shadowing at hospitals I'm not sure how to improve. Having read these forums that doesn't sound like my plans are enough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I disagree, I think your ECs to date are pretty good for someone who has just recently switched career plans. Like you said, your major area for improvement as far as ECs go is clinical experience, which you've already formed a plan to address (which, may I add, is a good one). Provided you follow your outlined plans, I think you will be fine.

Your GPA is stellar, especially for two of the most difficult majors imaginable. Keep up the good work on that front and it will be difficult for AdComs to say no to you.

I also think you're doing well. I suggest continue to gain research experience, eventually getting your own project or otherwise making a publishable contribution. Your leadership and teaching look good.

For nonmedical community service, the after-school HS activity is a fine plan if you can get it off the ground.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I had read threads where people with 4+ years of clinical experience were told they needed to work on their ECs so I was a bit concerned. It looks like my schedule can hold four more courses (OChem I&II, BioChem I&II) without totally killing me and now I'm officially in the Pre-Med program. :D

Again, thank you both.

I had read threads where people with 4+ years of clinical experience were told they needed to work on their ECs so I was a bit concerned.
It's important to have a variety of experiences so as to look well-rounded and give evidence of the many personality characteristics that schools feel are important in future physicians. Oustanding clinical experience on its own is not enough.

I also think you're doing well. I suggest continue to gain research experience, eventually getting your own project or otherwise making a publishable contribution. Your leadership and teaching look good.

For nonmedical community service, the after-school HS activity is a fine plan if you can get it off the ground.

I'm currently doing my own research project (with slight help from a retired Psychology professor) in evolutionary psychology to satisfy my own personal curiosity about something. Is that helpful or does the research need to be in a field more relevant to medicine?

I wish I'd thought of asking this earlier today.

I'm currently doing my own research project...Is that helpful or does the research need to be in a field more relevant to medicine?

Nope, doesn't matter what the research is about. The purpose is for you to be able to think critically, design experiments, work as a team, communicate effectively, etc. (which is arguably universal to all studies). Be prepared, in any case, to thoughtfully and coherently explain your study to the AdComs when prompted to do so.

I agree. Research need not be in the sciences to be of benefit to your application, so long as a scholarly approach to adding to human knowledge is used. Being involved in research is good. Forming the hypothesis, designing the study, evaluating the results, making a conclusion are all great. Poster or podium presentations of your work get extra points (if off campus). Being first or second author on a paper is even better. Writing a grant to get your own funding looks good too. Be sure your entry adequately describes to level of your involvement.

Thank you both again for your help. You two have been phenomenally helpful.