Changing from EM to IM/anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IM seems possible for sure, I don’t know about gas. If there’s a spot I think they would prob be okay.

Your IM PD would determine how much PGY-1 credit you would get based on your rotations. It’s likely to be ~3 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with @Gastrapathy above. You are extremely unlikely to be given a full year of credit and thus would be unable to start either program as a PGY2/CA-1. There is certainly some overlap between EM and IM, but not enough to justify a full year of credit. If you complete your PGY-2 year in EM and have several IM/ICU rotations, you might have enough at that point, again depending on what rotations you do that year.

Here are the requirements to proceed to a CA-1 year in anesthesia.

-CBY rotations:
a) at least 6 months must include experience in caring for inpatients in
internal medicine, pediatrics, surgery, or any of the surgical specialties, obstetrics and gynecology, neurology, family medicine, or any combination of these
b) there should be rotations in critical care and emergency medicine, with at least one month, but no more than two months, devoted to each
c) up to one month may be taken in anesthesiology
d) each month of training may be counted only once
e) rotations should ensure continuity of teaching and clinical experience
f) CBY competencies are detailed in Program Requirements

If you want IM because of hospitalist and not eventual specialty, you should consider applying to FM. FM can give you a lot of leeway because they have the ability to give tons of months in elective, although most programs choose not to. I know a guy that did IM his first year and decided to switch to FM. His 2nd and 3rd year were basically built to just do the OB, gyn, peds, geriatrics, etc. needed for FM. After you finish FM, you can get a hospitalist position in a suburban area and get grandfathered in without having to do fellowship