Changing from Pulmonary to Cards?

Started by pulm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pulm

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all, I am a third year resident and previously was set on doing Pulm/CC. However, recent events have made me start second guessing my decision... though nothing is for sure yet. I do know that I love my cardiology rotations I have done recently. I struggled with which one to do intern year but decided to dedicate myself to pulmonary so that I could get started on research. My worry is that my focus on pulmonary for the last two years will make me not able to match into cardiology, should I choose to pursue it. I am trying to keep my options open, however the thought of waiting another year to apply is not attractive.
My stats: I am a third year resident and future chief resident at a top academic program (in the NW), AOA, and have published research during residency (in Pulmonary). Board scores are 99/99/99.
My questions are:
--Will my Pulmonary research help or hurt me?
--Is there any chance of matching into a mid-tier cards program somewhere in the south without waiting a year and doing cardiology specific research?
--I feel like I could get strong letters of rec from a couple of cardiologists here, but they are not the big name folks, mainly associate and assitant professors... in addition to one from my research mentor. What else can I do?

The thought of applying to a hypercompetitive specialty like cards is dauting and I'm having somewhat of a mid-residency career crisis and am trying to re-evaluate my goals here, but am a bit stuck. Thanks for any help people with fellowship application experience can provide. Happy Fourth!!
 
I think that if you really want cardiology, then you should just go for it. You do still have time to apply for it this year. I think that with a chief residency coming up and those board scores and being from a good university program, I predict that your chance of matching somewhere will be quite high. You may even surprise yourself with how well you do. I think that yes, you can match to a mid-tier place. I even think that you should not hesitate to apply to some "dream" schools, but realizing that matching at somewhere like UCSF, Harvard, etc. would be a stretch but not impossible.

If you want to stay on the west coast, I'd suggest pan-applying there along with solid places in the Midwest and South, if you are willing to go there (30 or so programs).

I just don't see someone like you not matching, and I think you are overly worried about it. Pulmonary research won't help as much as cards research, but I still think your chance of getting in is quite high. You should just be able to explain why you want to do cardiology - have a good reason for wanting to do it, and you should be fine.