Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

changing interview w/10 days notice?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by katem, Oct 17, 2002.

1. katem

katem Member
    7+ Year Member

my boss just laid the pressure on pretty thickly that i be in town for a meeting for a research project i'm involved in. he knew it was the same day as an interview, but asked if i could reschedule the interview. the interview is on the 28th, so i'm wondering if you think the adcom will be displeased by the move - this is a top choice school, and i really don't want to hurt my chances there!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chips

chips Member
    7+ Year Member

mm...unless your meeting is so important that you absolutely cannot miss it, i'd tell your boss that you can't reschedule. most schools require 2 weeks notice for interview date change, otherwise they don't have time to refill your vacancy with someone else, and that's a wasted spot. i know some schools even remark that if you don't tell them 2 weeks ahead of time, they will consider your interview as "cancelled"--not something you want. perhaps you can call the admissions office and ask (w/o identifying yourself). see what the secretary says, then decide.

4. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

quite the dilemma for you...tough call on your PI's move to suggest you reschedule.

my advice is that since the school is one of your top choice schools, you should prioritize which of the two events are more important to you in the long run. with that said, i'm sure you would decide not to attend the meeting...I also believe that you should make any slides and distribute them to members of your group before you leave. I always attach files in emails to members of my research group if I am not able to attend the meeting.