Changing LOR after submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcat85

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question guys/girls: Can you change which LOR's you have assigned to a program after you submit your ERAS application? For example, if you have 4 letters assigned to a program when you submit, but one of your letter writers is really dragging their feet, can you unassign his/her letter and reassign another?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question guys/girls: Can you change which LOR's you have assigned to a program after you submit your ERAS application? For example, if you have 4 letters assigned to a program when you submit, but one of your letter writers is really dragging their feet, can you unassign his/her letter and reassign another?

Yes.

I would love to know if this works for you. In the past, you could "sort of" do this. You could inactivate the missing letter and assign another. However, if the tardy letter writer submits the letter, I would still get it. ERAS would argue that once you've assigned a letter to me, you can't "take it back".

One of the changes this year on the ERAS website is that you can only assign 4 letters to any program, and that's it. I don't know if they mean that once a letter is actually sent, then that's it, or if you assign it and it isn't uploaded, what happens.

Please post what your experience was.