SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Changing Major Vs. Retakes

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by l3abyt43, May 25, 2008.

1. l3abyt43

l3abyt43 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Asking this for my sister.

Both of her GPA and sGPA are roughly 3.1. She has completed all pre-req courses for Biochem-Cell Bio. However, She's considering of changing her major to Physio and Neuroscience hoping to take more classes and raise her GPA. Also, She's planning on re-taking all classes that she had C in. Do you guys think this would be a good/bad idea?

Also, she has volunteered in hospitals, but not specifically shadowing MD due to HIPPA. My questions to those who are currently shadowing, who specifically are you guys shadowing (private practice or in hospital) and under what conditions (did you directly ask the MD or had to go through third-party)? Btw, She's not planning to apply until 09 or 10 and in the process of studying for her MCAT.

Thanks for yor inputs!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod Physician 7+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    hSDN Alumni
    It sounds like she's SOL on the GPA thing, to be honest. I definitely wouldn't advise retaking the courses she got C's in because AMCAS just averages retakes. Taking upper-level science classes and acing them will look better than acing a class she's already had. If she's already almost done with her degree requirements, she probably has lots of hours and can't move her GPA too much even with a few stellar semesters. However, if she's apply DO, retaking is a good plan since they only use the retake grades.

Just make sure she knows she's going to have to rock the MCAT and bring her grades up the best she can to have a chance at MD schools. I had slightly lower grades but got only 1 interview with a 35.
  4. scarletgirl777

scarletgirl777 7+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I find that in hospital settings, academic doctors are just more eager to help and to let you shadow. Also, her GPA is far too low right now. Taking more science classes is a must, and unless she is doing DO retaking classes that she had better than a C- in is probably not a good use of her time.