Changing major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering changing my major from biology to MBDB (molecular, cell, developmental biology). I think molecular biology is SO fascinating and feel that I would really enjoy majoring in it. Since I'm already in the middle of my junior year, will adcoms know if I switch? And, if so, will they care?

Members don't see this ad.

Each university has a slightly different policy in terms of what shows up on your official transcripts. The only way adcoms would know that you switched your major is if it shows up on your transcript. Even if it does show up, adcoms probably don't care that much but since I don't serve on an adcom, that's just an assumption. If the adcoms knew that you switched, they might ask you about it in which case you could tell them a story about how you learned something. I don't think it's that unusual for people to change their interests. It seems to happen in med school all the time in pursuit of specialties.

That being said, I would go ahead and switch if it is something that truly interests you.

MBDB (molecular, cell, developmental biology).

used to be MCDB. I don't know why they keep changing course names. It can get a little confusing.

Proph...

Sorry, that was a typo. It's MCDB.