Changing majors during junior year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nali1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Junior with a focus in bio/pre-med. Back as a freshman I thought I HAD to a biology major to get into an MD/DO school. But now, two years and 5 semesters later I still want to do pre-med, but I feel like I could be enjoying a different major much more then biology (3.0 gpa).
So my question is: how would it look to adcoms if I change my major to execise phys this late into my college career (a lot of the classes are overlapping so I already have small chunk of the classes knocked out). Don't get me wrong, I like biology, but I'm sure I will enjoy exercise phys much more.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a Junior with a focus in bio/pre-med. Back as a freshman I thought I HAD to a biology major to get into an MD/DO school. But now, two years and 5 semesters later I still want to do pre-med, but I feel like I could be enjoying a different major much more then biology (3.0 gpa).
So my question is: how would it look to adcoms if I change my major to execise phys this late into my college career (a lot of the classes are overlapping so I already have small chunk of the classes knocked out). Don't get me wrong, I like biology, but I'm sure I will enjoy exercise phys much more.

I say go for it. You might graduate a bit later but if enjoying it makes you increase that GPA some then you'll be better off anyway. If medical school is your goal you really need to get that GPA up and if changing that major will help you do that then go for it.

Check your unit cap and if you can work it out, do it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I switched form Biochem to Bio during my senior year, so I got to spend an extra year in undergrad. Best decision I ever made, and I am a 2nd year medical student now. If you will enjoy another degree program more, then switch!

So you don't think the adcoms would be like "oh you had a 3.0 in bio then switched, what makes you think you can handle med school course work.." or some sort of variation of that?

So you don't think the adcoms would be like "oh you had a 3.0 in bio then switched, what makes you think you can handle med school course work.." or some sort of variation of that?

you're going to need to do well in the pre-req courses, no matter what major you choose

Unless you raise that 3.0 GPA, your choice of major is not going to matter concerning you're chances of getting into medical school.

Thanks a lot everyone for the insight! I'm meeting with director of the Excercise Phys program and my pre-med adviser this week to disccus my options, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna make the switch unless advised otherwise!

I don't see any reason NOT to switch if you don't enjoy your current major so go for it. Of course, you need to do well in whatever you choose and you need to bring up that 3.0.

Yeah, they may say something about your early grades/GPA, but they'd probably ask about 'em regardless of your major or whether or not you switched. I did something similar and ended going into psych/neuroscience so don't stress too much over this.

You'll definitely be happier and it gets you to the same end result, so go for it!

a) You should switch and do something you enjoy.

b) I don't think they have any way of knowing you switched majors. I filled out the application, and it asks what major I'm graduating with, not what I started as.