Changing Majors/Minors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

an_apple_a_day

Reaction score
I know most med schools don’t care much about your specific major/minor but I just have a few questions about making changes. I’m currently going into junior year.

I came in as a bio major but switched at the end of my freshman year to medical diagnostics (pre-pa path). In the middle of my sophomore year, I switched to neuroscience and declared pre-med. At this time, I also declared a biochem minor and a bio minor because my advisor told me “I needed them for med school.”

I have since been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to get out of my undergrad experience. I’ve decided to go abroad spring semester of this year (neuroscience program offered through my school). This makes my senior year really packed with bio and biochem classes and it doesn’t seem enjoyable to me.

I’ve found two other minors (Medical Humanities and Disability Studies) that I feel much much more passionate about. I was not planning on both of them but they have a lot of overlap so I’m going to go for it (and I can take classes abroad for them).

My question is, does this look bad or indecisive to adcoms when they look at my transcript and see so many changes? Two major changes and two dropped minors and two added minors shortly after? Or am I completely overthinking it?

Members don't see this ad.

I know most med schools don’t care much about your specific major/minor but I just have a few questions about making changes. I’m currently going into junior year.

I came in as a bio major but switched at the end of my freshman year to medical diagnostics (pre-pa path). In the middle of my sophomore year, I switched to neuroscience and declared pre-med. At this time, I also declared a biochem minor and a bio minor because my advisor told me “I needed them for med school.”

I have since been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to get out of my undergrad experience. I’ve decided to go abroad spring semester of this year (neuroscience program offered through my school). This makes my senior year really packed with bio and biochem classes and it doesn’t seem enjoyable to me.

I’ve found two other minors (Medical Humanities and Disability Studies) that I feel much much more passionate about. I was not planning on both of them but they have a lot of overlap so I’m going to go for it (and I can take classes abroad for them).

My question is, does this look bad or indecisive to adcoms when they look at my transcript and see so many changes? Two major changes and two dropped minors and two added minors shortly after? Or am I completely overthinking it?
Answer above

Are you sure all those changes will show up on your official transcript? Call the registrars Office and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I’ve already checked and unfortunately they will show up.
The information will not be translated to your Primary Application's transcript. And you only have to fill out your current minor when you complete the application. Only one school will see the actual final official transcript, and that's the med school you'll choose to attend. By then, you'll have been accepted and how they perceive you won't make a difference to your plans for matriculation.

Reactions: 1 user