Changing my last name after marriage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwoDoc

Reaction score
Hello! I (22 F) am an admitted MD starting school in August. I got married in February and have been debating whether or not to take my husband's last name before matriculating.

I am not attached to my last name. In fact, I have always looked forward to taking my husband's last name & having the same last name as my future children. However, my family thinks it would be better for me to stay with my maiden name for legal reasons, but I'm not sure if what they're saying is even valid- such as "if you get sued they can't come after your property if it is in your husband's name"..??? Or if we, god forbid, get divorced in the future my diploma should have my maiden name. Are there any pros/cons to this?

Any insight on this would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I (22 F) am an admitted MD starting school in August. I got married in February and have been debating whether or not to take my husband's last name before matriculating.

I am not attached to my last name. In fact, I have always looked forward to taking my husband's last name & having the same last name as my future children. However, my family thinks it would be better for me to stay with my maiden name for legal reasons, but I'm not sure if what they're saying is even valid- such as "if you get sued they can't come after your property if it is in your husband's name"..??? Or if we, god forbid, get divorced in the future my diploma should have my maiden name. Are there any pros/cons to this?

The house thing isn’t a valid reason. It doesn’t matter what your name is, it’s whose name is on the deed. If only one person owns the house, the house is vulnerable in litigation. If two or more people do, no matter their names, you have more protection in the event of a lawsuit against one party.

This applies to your spouse as well. If only his name is on the deed and he runs into a school bus while driving, your house is at risk in litigation if only he owns it. Best to have more than one person. Check the rules in your state.

The divorce possibility is a different consideration. Can diplomas be re-issued for a cost? That’s something I would look into.

Good luck with your decisions and congratulations on your recent marriage and your recent medical school acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
Use the name you are most comfortable with having throughout your career (no matter what).
Use your Mother's pre-marriage name if you prefer that one.
Children always know their mother. There is no reason to change it for them.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The house thing isn’t a valid reason. It doesn’t matter what your name is, it’s whose name is on the deed. If only one person owns the house, the house is vulnerable in litigation. If two or more people do, no matter their names, you have more protection in the event of a lawsuit against one party.

This applies to your spouse as well. If only his name is on the deed and he runs into a school bus while driving, your house is at risk in litigation if only he owns it. Best to have more than one person. Check the rules in your state.

The divorce possibility is a different consideration. Can diplomas be re-issued for a cost? That’s something I would look into.

Good luck with your decisions and congratulations on your recent marriage and your recent medical school acceptance!
Thank you for clearing up the house thing. I was thinking the same but wasn't sure. I will definitely look more into the diploma issue. Either way, I don't plan on being sued/divorced:rofl: So hopefully, this is never an issue.

Thank you so much!! <3

Reactions: 2 users
You will need to decide, but decide soon since you will need to have some guidance on legal change of name including your financial aid. While it is not a trivial exercise, it is common enough that student affairs should be able to help you.

Reactions: 3 users

Your family is wrong and should not be giving you legal advice.

Reactions: 4 users

If you want to protect your assets, you need (1) an umbrella policy of at least $1,000,000, and (2) a trust to hold your real estate and other high value items, excluding vehicles.

Changing your name in medical school is relatively easy. After you graduate and start racking up licenses, board certifications, and hospital privileges it gets progressively more complicated.

Reactions: 4 users
Your family is wrong and should not be giving you legal advice.
My family are expatriates who try their best but are often wrong. Which is why I asked here lol but I'm glad to hear I'm not doomed if I change my name

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you want to protect your assets, you need (1) an umbrella policy of at least $1,000,000, and (2) a trust to hold your real estate and other high value items, excluding vehicles.

Changing your name in medical school is relatively easy. After you graduate and start racking up licenses, board certifications, and hospital privileges it gets progressively more complicated.
Hmm, I didn't even think of after medical school. Thank you sm for this info! I'm starting to lean against changing it now.

Hmm, I didn't even think of after medical school. Thank you sm for this info! I'm starting to lean against changing it now.
The rules in the US are certainly different than in your home country.
Ask someone in your state about the laws and rules.
When I married during internship, the residency director's secretary told me I would have to hyphenate my last name.
Like any good Texas woman I told her, "Oh, hxxx no!" and once I researched it for myself she was indeed wrong.
It is easy to file a change of name form.

In my state for instance the family home is protected from malpractice suit judgements. Other rules for protection of personal assets also exist.
This is something they don't teach you in medical school, but your state medical society certainly has free resources for you.

Reactions: 5 users

Either change your name, or don’t. It offers no legal protection. Most states have some level of joint custody of assets gained during marriage.

It will be way easier to change it sooner rather than later. I think it is better relationally, as I think marriage works if you act like you are not two separate people, but one family. But hey, I’m on old fashioned, leave and cleave kinda guy. Only been married a dozen years, but have done enough things wrong to recognize a few things right.

I think keeping your maiden name so that you can “maintain your own identity” is a mistake. One of my friend insisted his wife not take his name because he correlates change in last name with slavery. I do not, but wouldn’t argue with the logic.

I really think that if you get a divorce, then the scars are going to be way bigger than just a name. And the divorce rate is actually way lower for persons who are college educate, can get jobs, ect.

Honestly, I think your parents don’t like your husband.

• Haha
  • Okay...
  • Dislike
I got married after publishing papers, and will not change my last name. Changing your last name makes it really hard for people to follow your publications without using Research Gate or Google Scholar. If you haven’t started a publication career yet, you would be totally fine to change your name. You can also use both (eg Ms. S marrying Mr. E becomes Mrs. S-E).

Also since I got married in mid 2020, it was going to be a HUGE hassle to get the to DMV, social security office, and other places to officially change my name. You can get more information about the legal process when you apply for your marriage license. I still haven’t bothered with this process because I want to keep the name attached to my papers.

My wife changed her last name in medical school. It was easy and saved additional changes down the road as noted above. Do what you are comfortable doing, as in medicine you will be valued for your merits and abilities, not your last name. A good point mentioned earlier was authorship if you have multiple publications and plan on more. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Reactions: 3 users
My wife changed her last name in medical school. It was easy and saved additional changes down the road as noted above. Do what you are comfortable doing, as in medicine you will be valued for your merits and abilities, not your last name. A good point mentioned earlier was authorship if you have multiple publications and plan on more. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

She has been married for a few months.

Honestly, the whole idea of keeping your name for past or future publications seems stupid.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, the whole idea of keeping your name for past or future publications seems stupid.
I’m starting MD-PhD school, so I would like to keep my 10 previous publications, especially the 3 first author papers I did before I got married.

I also literally had this conversation with my physician scientist boss about myself and other physician scientists (including his wife) that have not changed their last names to retain association with their publications and academic careers. It is incredibly common.

Reactions: 1 user