Changing paths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mursetomed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a first generation nursing student at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. When I first started school I had not intentions of being a doctor or taking the pre-med route as I had some doubt in my self. However, the more I've been learning within the nursing curriculum I realize that I want more. What ultimately lead me to the possibility of med school was an internship I have this summer that has basically been allowing me to work as a nurse with a preceptor. I realized that I wouldn't be happy working as a nurse or continuing with the nursing model for the rest of my working life. I am coming up on my senior year of college and plan to do some shadowing of various NPs and CRNAs (covid permitting) to make sure that medicine really is the correct route for me. I understand that there may be a stigma going from nursing to medicine as it can look indecisive but after I complete my BSN I will be searching for shadowing opportunities with physicians. My plan right now is once my initial degree is completed is to take the few pre-reqs I have left on a part time basis while working full/part time depending on my academic performance. Ideally, I should be able to have everything completed by spring of 2022.

I graduated high school with an associates degree in liberal arts and sciences with a few of the necessary pre-reqs completed. My GPA from this degree is approximately 3.6 as I was more preoccupied with completing the degree than optimizing my time. My current science GPA is a 3.43 (does not include nursing science), but will hopefully increase as I finish the 21 credits I need to complete. My GPA from my BSN thus far is 3.66 with a slight upward trend, this should also increase as it is well known that our senior year is a little more lax. On campus, I am currently involved in the equestrian team on campus where I did take on some leadership roles for 2 years and a specific nursing program for students from disadvantaged backgrounds. I am also apart of the disciplinary honors program for nursing where I am paired with a mentor doing research so I will have a few publications by the time I graduate. I have some volunteer hours from high school and college but do not have the specifics on them as of now.

My relevant work experience includes being a CNA at a nursing home for 3 years (started in high school) and will be starting as a critical care tech in the transplant ICU at the teaching hospital here in Milwaukee. This summer I had a nurse internship at the VA that was 400hours.

I'm curious to hear the advice/opinon everyone has to offer when looking at my stats/story. If you need anymore information I will be happy to provide it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I am currently a first generation nursing student at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. When I first started school I had not intentions of being a doctor or taking the pre-med route as I had some doubt in my self. However, the more I've been learning within the nursing curriculum I realize that I want more. What ultimately lead me to the possibility of med school was an internship I have this summer that has basically been allowing me to work as a nurse with a preceptor. I realized that I wouldn't be happy working as a nurse or continuing with the nursing model for the rest of my working life. I am coming up on my senior year of college and plan to do some shadowing of various NPs and CRNAs (covid permitting) to make sure that medicine really is the correct route for me. I understand that there may be a stigma going from nursing to medicine as it can look indecisive but after I complete my BSN I will be searching for shadowing opportunities with physicians. My plan right now is once my initial degree is completed is to take the few pre-reqs I have left on a part time basis while working full/part time depending on my academic performance. Ideally, I should be able to have everything completed by spring of 2022.

I graduated high school with an associates degree in liberal arts and sciences with a few of the necessary pre-reqs completed. My GPA from this degree is approximately 3.6 as I was more preoccupied with completing the degree than optimizing my time. My current science GPA is a 3.43 (does not include nursing science), but will hopefully increase as I finish the 21 credits I need to complete. My GPA from my BSN thus far is 3.66 with a slight upward trend, this should also increase as it is well known that our senior year is a little more lax. On campus, I am currently involved in the equestrian team on campus where I did take on some leadership roles for 2 years and a specific nursing program for students from disadvantaged backgrounds. I am also apart of the disciplinary honors program for nursing where I am paired with a mentor doing research so I will have a few publications by the time I graduate. I have some volunteer hours from high school and college but do not have the specifics on them as of now.

My relevant work experience includes being a CNA at a nursing home for 3 years (started in high school) and will be starting as a critical care tech in the transplant ICU at the teaching hospital here in Milwaukee. This summer I had a nurse internship at the VA that was 400hours.

I'm curious to hear the advice/opinon everyone has to offer when looking at my stats/story. If you need anymore information I will be happy to provide it.
Good news for you, you will have a decent shot at MCW with an average MCAT. I go there and I would recommend it from an academic standpoint.

Don't forget that you'll need a significant amount of time to study for the MCAT. Any experience working as RN will boost your app of course. Keep in mind that to get in for the 2022 application (class of 2026) you will need to start applying next summer, so just be realistic with your timeline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

So, I am kind of in the same boat as you. I am currently entering my last semester of nursing and throughout nursing school, I've always found myself gravitating towards learning the big picture when it comes to studying diseases. To me, nursing was more of studying how to get from point A -> C -> E, and I wanted to understand how to go from A -> B -> C -> D -> E. I also didn't intend on going to med school when I started out nursing, but it's through these experiences in clinical and working alongside doctors that I found my true passion and love for medicine. I am also about to complete a nursing internship that I had this summer that definitely helped shape not only my clinical skills but also help solidify my desire to pursue med school. You're more ahead of me in terms of completing your pre-reqs, but my plan right now is to pick up a chem minor and extend my graduation (originally set for Dec 2020) to next year so that I can finish up all the classes I need. As a new grad, one thing to consider is being able to find a flexible new grad job that will accommodate your classes and lab times depending on the classes you need. This was one thing I found to be a struggle when I was considering my options, and one of the main factors in my decision to just extend my graduation by picking up a minor. But I think in your case, it should work out since you don't have too many classes you still need to take! Glad to know I'm not the only one on this journey!

Nice to hear of someone in the same boat! Good luck!

Good news for you, you will have a decent shot at MCW with an average MCAT. I go there and I would recommend it from an academic standpoint.

That's ideally where I would end up but who knows ‍

Don't forget that you'll need a significant amount of time to study for the MCAT. Any experience working as RN will boost your app of course. Keep in mind that to get in for the 2022 application (class of 2026) you will need to start applying next summer, so just be realistic with your timeline.

I guess it would've been helpful to add in some dates. I graduate with my BSN in May 21`. After that, I will begin my pre-reqs the following summer and should complete them all by spring of 22` (if everything goes smoothly.) My plan is to work on applying and studying the MCAT that summer for a start of fall 23`. The spring semester I will be completing one class so I should have time to study while putting an application together in addition to working very part-time.

Nice to hear of someone in the same boat! Good luck!

That's ideally where I would end up but who knows ‍

I guess it would've been helpful to add in some dates. I graduate with my BSN in May 21`. After that, I will begin my pre-reqs the following summer and should complete them all by spring of 22` (if everything goes smoothly.) My plan is to work on applying and studying the MCAT that summer for a start of fall 23`. The spring semester I will be completing one class so I should have time to study while putting an application together in addition to working very part-time.
This sounds like a pretty good plan.