Changing Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPlainBill

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok - so I'm only 6 weeks into this thing called internship and I'm starting to feel like I may have made a wrong decision about where I'm at.....

Anyone know how the whole switching thing works? I've heard you can do it direct contact without having to go through ERAS. Anyone know about how hard it is to switch FM residencies, especially with ones you interviewed at but put further down the list......It was difficult but my rank list was made based on family issues that have since resolved.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok - so I'm only 6 weeks into this thing called internship and I'm starting to feel like I may have made a wrong decision about where I'm at.....

Anyone know how the whole switching thing works? I've heard you can do it direct contact without having to go through ERAS. Anyone know about how hard it is to switch FM residencies, especially with ones you interviewed at but put further down the list......It was difficult but my rank list was made based on family issues that have since resolved.

Sorry things kind of suck for you, but excellent cautionary tale here. I see a lot of ppl limit their application and rank list for "family reasons" and either fail to match or get stuck in a crappy program.

The way I see it, unless, this past November, your spouse was elected Governor of or Senator from the state you currently live in (or you live in Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA or SF), applying/ranking in a geographically limited way based on "family issues" is a fast track to misery.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd try contacting the PDs of programs that you would be interested in and see if there is any chance that they will have open positions available. If you discover there is a program that seems receptive then you'll need to approach your own program director to see what they will require for you to leave on good terms.
Just keep in mind the whole grass-is-greener thing. Every program tries to make their program seem so perfect at the interview. If you had gone to a different program you might have discovered things about those other places that you wouldn't have liked either. It might be better to just try to make the best of things at this program rather than making waves.