Changing PsyD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first year applying to PsyD programs, and I ended up getting an invitation to interview at every school that I applied to. I was accepted at half of the schools that I interviewed at, but unfortunately, these are schools that I didn't feel anywhere near as excited about as some of the other programs. Ultimately, I've picked a university-affiliated program in New York City, but it was essentially my last choice of programs, for a variety of reasons.

What I'm wondering is this: is it possible or reasonable to attend this school for a year, and decide during the next application cycle if I should stay or reapply at other schools? Given that I was interviewed everywhere, I imagine the decision to turn me down was primarily based on a matter of fit, though the schools that I felt best about are the ones that turned me down. So, is this a viable solution? That is, to start my degree at one school, and if I'm unhappy, reapply to other schools that I felt better about?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not recommend it. It could really burn bridges. Also, your spot could have gone to someone who really wants to be there.

1. Transferring from any doctoral program to another one will raise flags, so you need to have a really good reason to do it: e.g. mentor left, loss of acred., family reason, etc.

2. Don't expect much to transfer as programs tend to like to teach their own classes to their students. You'll still be behind things like integrating with the cohort, getting your research going, etc. If it is a university-based program, the research challenges will be pretty similar to a typical clinical/counseling Ph.D. program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not recommend it. It could really burn bridges. Also, your spot could have gone to someone who really wants to be there.

I understand that my spot could always go to someone who wants it more than me, but I'm fairly certain that in any given pursuit, there will always be someone who wants a thing more than I do. The fact is, I wasn't accepted at my top choices. That happens, and to turn down an acceptance because someone else might want it more isn't really viable. What I'm asking is if it would be viable to evaluate fit from within the program.

Keep in mind that this is a PsyD program, and the cohort is larger than it would be with a PhD program. I'm not going to be rejecting a single professor or avenue of research if I leave the program. Is it doable, with that in mind?

1. Transferring from any doctoral program to another one will raise flags, so you need to have a really good reason to do it: e.g. mentor left, loss of acred., family reason, etc.

2. Don't expect much to transfer as programs tend to like to teach their own classes to their students. You'll still be behind things like integrating with the cohort, getting your research going, etc. If it is a university-based program, the research challenges will be pretty similar to a typical clinical/counseling Ph.D. program.

Yeah, I understand that I would be essentially starting over from scratch in a different program. It's not so much that the program is more or less research-based than I want it to be, it's more than there are other programs that will give me much richer clinical experiences. Where I am going, I'm not sure I'm going to have the same opportunities that I would at other places, that seemed to offer more in line with my particular interests.

I understand that my spot could always go to someone who wants it more than me, but I'm fairly certain that in any given pursuit, there will always be someone who wants a thing more than I do. The fact is, I wasn't accepted at my top choices. That happens, and to turn down an acceptance because someone else might want it more isn't really viable. What I'm asking is if it would be viable to evaluate fit from within the program.

Keep in mind that this is a PsyD program, and the cohort is larger than it would be with a PhD program. I'm not going to be rejecting a single professor or avenue of research if I leave the program. Is it doable, with that in mind?

I'm in a Psy.D. program and I think the concerns are just as present in larger cohorts (i.e. 20 ppl); burning bridges, being considered unprofessional, starting from scratch anyway... (why not take the year to reapply anyway if you feel that uncertain about the school?)

With how important your name and reputation will be through the practicum, internship, postdoc and early career psychologist times, do you want to possibly risk putting off a false impression of yourself based on something like this?

Accepting at a school that isn't your top choice is understandable and pretty standard. Accepting with the possible intention of applying elsewhere after a year is not. If you have a bad feeling about the program, then wait a year and reapply.

This is my first year applying to PsyD programs, and I ended up getting an invitation to interview at every school that I applied to. I was accepted at half of the schools that I interviewed at, but unfortunately, these are schools that I didn't feel anywhere near as excited about as some of the other programs. Ultimately, I've picked a university-affiliated program in New York City, but it was essentially my last choice of programs, for a variety of reasons.

What I'm wondering is this: is it possible or reasonable to attend this school for a year, and decide during the next application cycle if I should stay or reapply at other schools? Given that I was interviewed everywhere, I imagine the decision to turn me down was primarily based on a matter of fit, though the schools that I felt best about are the ones that turned me down. So, is this a viable solution? That is, to start my degree at one school, and if I'm unhappy, reapply to other schools that I felt better about?

no, this is not a viable solution.

Why wouldn't you just wait a year and apply elsewhere?

This. As others have said, not only will it potentially burn bridges at the original institution, it isn't going to look good to any of the programs to which you're applying, either. You'd honestly be better off starting a master's program and "jumping ship," as that's more commonplace, although even that isn't the best of ideas (or even a good one) in all scenarios. The way I see it, you just don't really gain anything by attending a doctoral program for a year and then changing.

Ideally, beefing up your resume via some type of RA experience (volunteer or paid) in anticipation of applying again next cycle would be your best bet, I'd say.

Reverse the situation.

Maybe you were turned down at your top school because a person accepted the spot but has little intention of staying. Would you (hypothetically) now like to do what has been done to you by someone else?

I just think it seems like a red flag when you are so unexcited about a program that you're starting with the desire to jump ship. If it came up after being in the program for a while, that's a different story. I've seen way too many people making big mistakes by going into one of their so-so programs because "I am getting old" or "I don't want to apply again, this is it!" and they really suffer. It's not good to make decisions based on fear. If this is something you really want and it's truly a bad fit, apply again. Otherwise, maybe there is something about the school that you can really fall in love with and make it worth it.

Another thing to consider is that you don't know that you'll be accepted to one of your top choices after being in another program for a semester--it's best to just commit now, I think, than to give up that entire first year of a PsyD program in the hopes that you can go somewhere else!

I agree that this amount of uncertainty suggests that taking a year (or more) to get really clear about your objectives in a graduate education would make sense. Why accumulate debt when you are still preoccupied with status and uncertain about aspects of fit? Take some time and find some work to clarify what you really want to do in the field. One of our "demand" problems in the field is that too many undergrads go to graduate school because it is there and they can postpone deciding what they really want to do and what they are good at. Candidates who are more clear about what they want and where they intend to go are also more competetive for admission.