Changing Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justin7w2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what schools/states it is easy to change residency and get in-state tuition?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confuse. So can we apply out of state schools and become resident after first year of dental school? That way, we can pay for in state costs?

I thought if you are going out of state for education, it is require to pay all four years out of state tuition.

I am confuse. So can we apply out of state schools and become resident after first year of dental school? That way, we can pay for in state costs?

I thought if you are going out of state for education, it is require to pay all four years out of state tuition.

Depends on the school, some allow while some don't. But yes, since you are "independent" as a student in professional school, you take that first year as the usual 12 month residency requirement and then you may be able obtain residency for in-state tuition.

Depends on the school, some allow while some don't. But yes, since you are "independent" as a student in professional school, you take that first year as the usual 12 month residency requirement and then you may be able obtain residency for in-state tuition.

Oh thanks! Are there other schools that allow this? I can't seem to find a list.

Oh thanks! Are there other schools that allow this? I can't seem to find a list.

I don't think I've seen an exhaustive list but there are quite a few schools that do. A bigger issue though is getting into some of those schools from OOS since seat allocation is always towards in-state students.

I don't think I've seen an exhaustive list but there are quite a few schools that do. A bigger issue though is getting into some of those schools from OOS since seat allocation is always towards in-state students.

UConn 100% gives in-state tuition to OOS students after 1st year. It is a super easy process (basically just fill out a 6 page packet) and NO ONE gets turned down. I don't think that applied to Canadian residents, tho. And you don't have to be totally independent either.. You get in-state even if you're receiving help from parents

Reactions: 1 user
UConn 100% gives in-state tuition to OOS students after 1st year. It is a super easy process (basically just fill out a 6 page packet) and NO ONE gets turned down. I don't think that applied to Canadian residents, tho. And you don't have to be totally independent either.. You get in-state even if you're receiving help from parents

Are you able to claim residency for any school as long as you are consider an independent? Because right now, I am an independent.