Changing Rx Drugs NYS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you're changing a drug on a prescription because for example it's not covered or incorrect (non-controls). Do you write out the new drug/directions/etc on a pharmacy Rx pad or on the original?

Example: MD prescribes Avelox 400 mg #7 qd x 7 days

It's not covered. MD says switch to Levofloxacin 500 mg #10 qd x 10 day.

Would you write the new stuff on the original Rx or just toss out the original Rx and fill out a verbal Rx pad?

I've had a few pharmacists tell me that it's better to just write on the original that MD okayed it, etc, etc instead of throwing out the original?

Any takers?

Members don't see this ad.

When you're changing a drug on a prescription because for example it's not covered or incorrect (non-controls). Do you write out the new drug/directions/etc on a pharmacy Rx pad or on the original?

Example: MD prescribes Avelox 400 mg #7 qd x 7 days

It's not covered. MD says switch to Levofloxacin 500 mg #10 qd x 10 day.

Would you write the new stuff on the original Rx or just toss out the original Rx and fill out a verbal Rx pad?

I've had a few pharmacists tell me that it's better to just write on the original that MD okayed it, etc, etc instead of throwing out the original?

Any takers?

Original.

Leave as much of a trail as possible.

Original.

Leave as much of a trail as possible.
I agree leave it on the original and be sure to document the date, the person who authorized the change and your initials.

Original

Use a single strike through over the old drug/sig/quantity. Then replace with the new information.

Follow that with the date, time, and person who authorized.

Make a note for the patient explaining why the change was made. Some patients recognize that the script has changed.

Make sure everything you do is to protect that license.