Changing state residency status for cheaper tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdogg- 00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone plan to try to change state residency status for the purposes of getting a lower tuition rate? Is this at all possible to do after you have been accepted as an out of state resident? I know that the policies for residency status vary quite a bit from state to state. What states can you do this in and how do you go about doing it?

Members don't see this ad.

kdogg- 00 said:
Does anyone plan to try to change state residency status for the purposes of getting a lower tuition rate? Is this at all possible to do after you have been accepted as an out of state resident? I know that the policies for residency status vary quite a bit from state to state. What states can you do this in and how do you go about doing it?

They vary completely from state to state. in florida, being a student doesnt count. in ohio, you need to be a student for 1 year- so you pay out of state tuition for one year. osu's or ucinci's fin. aid person would help you with that, i left out case b/c it is private and MCO and northeastern ohio b/c they are mainly made up of ohio residents.

As gbiz mentioned, this varies from state to state. In TX, it's relatively easy as long as one purchases property or marries a resident. In other states, becoming a resident is almost impossible for the average med student.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's pretty easy in SC, too -- you have to buy property, or you can convince the school that you're a resident if you have significant state ties and plan on staying there for a while. In NY you have to live there for 5 years prior to entering school. So my advice would be to call up the school you want to do this for and ask what the residency requirements are.

MadameLULU said:
As gbiz mentioned, this varies from state to state. In TX, it's relatively easy as long as one purchases property or marries a resident. In other states, becoming a resident is almost impossible for the average med student.

HI!!!! :)

Law2Doc said:
A number of states require one to be a resident for as many as 5 years to qualify, so it's not really an option for most.

Right, that's why I said its almost impossible for the avg. med student

gbiz, wsup?

wut bout south dakota or sum place like that

MadameLULU said:
Right, that's why I said its almost impossible for the avg. med student

gbiz, wsup?

I am at work, "working"... ahh so nice to be the network admin, so I can delete any traces of SDN :)

I got something encouraging I have to share with you, ill IM next time Im on :)

===================

Okay now sorry for departing from the thread topic, I have a tendancy to do that, in real life too :)

In NY you have to live there for 5 years prior to entering school.

That's not what SUNY Upstate and Buffalo told me. You have to pay out of state tuition for the first year. They said, as soon as I move there, register my car in Syracuse, get a NY driver's license, register to vote, etc, and I'll get in-state tuition second year. Maybe the 5 years thing is for undergrads?

gbiz said:
i left out case b/c it is private and MCO and northeastern ohio b/c they are mainly made up of ohio residents.

This is a common misconception. Actually, MCO takes just as many out-of-staters. They always take 25% out-of-state which is a ton more than the vast majority of state medical schools. I'm not sure about NEOUCOM, so I can't comment.

kdogg- 00 said:

In Oklahoma (and most states in general), you must work full-time for an entire year or marry a resident of the state.

MadameLULU said:

This issue of buying a home=TX resident is false. There is nothing on the UT residency questionaire that even asks about property ownership.

The marrying a resident thing is correct. Texas schools can offer you in-state tuition coupled with a $1,000 scholarship. I've heard that many do this. The down side is the more competitive OOS applicant pool.

Generally in TX you must live here for one year without attending college prior to submitting your application or you will be branded OOS. That equates to 1.5-2 years total due to the long app cycle with TMDSAS.

Darth Asclepius said:
That's not what SUNY Upstate and Buffalo told me. You have to pay out of state tuition for the first year. They said, as soon as I move there, register my car in Syracuse, get a NY driver's license, register to vote, etc, and I'll get in-state tuition second year. Maybe the 5 years thing is for undergrads?

I can confirm that it is 1 year for SUNY Buffalo. Here is a link for proof:

http://src.buffalo.edu/studentaccount/residency.shtml

I'm not sure about the other SUNY schools. But as long as you have established residency before the 1st day of classes at Buffalo, you'll pay in-state tuition for years 2, 3, and 4.

OrthoFixation said:
This issue of buying a home=TX resident is false. There is nothing on the UT residency questionaire that even asks about property ownership.

Actually, it isn't false. If a student purchases property, he/she CAN become a resident although, he/she needs to wait until the following year to get the tuition reduced.

To establish residency you have to do either of these three things
1. live in Tx for 12 months (being a student does not count)
2. work in TX for 12 months
3. establish permament residence in TX (this is where buying property comes in hand)

I would encourage you to go these sites for more information.

http://www.collegefortexans.com/residency/resident.cfm
http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/0183.pdf

MadameLULU said:
Actually, it isn't false. If a student purchases property, he/she CAN become a resident although, he/she needs to wait until the following year to get the tuition reduced.

To establish residency you have to do either of these three things
1. live in Tx for 12 months (being a student does not count)
2. work in TX for 12 months
3. establish permament residence in TX (this is where buying property comes in hand)

I would encourage you to go these sites for more information.

http://www.collegefortexans.com/residency/resident.cfm
http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/0183.pdf

Thanks for the info. It looks like we're both wrong on the marriage thing. Your link states marrying a resident does not change anything. You still have to establish your own residency.

I haven't found it, but I would agree buying property combined with multiple other steps would create resident status after 12 months.

I'm sure you've seen this link for residency determination on the TMDSAS site. The url button is not working, so . . .

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/txres.html

The easiest way is the $1K scholarship. It appears the schools have the final say, although TMDSAS makes the initial determination.

You guys know anything about Michigan? I'm currently an undergrad at the univ. of Michigan right now, and have lived here all my life. My dad got a job in Cali half a year ago and has been living there, my mom is planning on moving over there soon. Any way I can make sure I still count as in state when I go to med school next year e.g. purchase property in ann arbor, etc.?

Can you be resident of two states, if qualificatioon criteria are ment, for admission purpose?

Can you be resident of two states, if qualificatioon criteria are ment, for admission purpose?

Nope. You can only declare one state for residency purposes, and it can be hard enough to just get residency in that single state. Schools are under no obligation to honor what you've declared, and it is possible to be a resident of no state. I just finished jumping through a few hoops myself to get state residency. After living here for over seven years it still was not a slam dunk.

I see that your location is listed as Texas, so there might be an exception. Texas has it's own application system TMDSAS, while the rest of us use AMCAS. I never used TMDSAS, but I imagine you might be able to declare different states of residence on each application (though I haven't done it myself so it's just a guess). For everyone else, as mentioned above, you can only select one state as your 'primary residence' on AMCAS. Some schools, however, give consideration to where you parents live and where you spent the majority of your childhood (0 to 18).

I see that your location is listed as Texas, so there might be an exception. Texas has it's own application system TMDSAS, while the rest of us use AMCAS. I never used TMDSAS, but I imagine you might be able to declare different states of residence on each application (though I haven't done it myself so it's just a guess). For everyone else, as mentioned above, you can only select one state as your 'primary residence' on AMCAS. Some schools, however, give consideration to where you parents live and where you spent the majority of your childhood (0 to 18).

Yeah, I'm interested in finding out if you can do separate states for TMDSAS and AMCAS as well.

I would imagine you can, they're not interrelated or anything.

Well. Not for me. It's for my son. We were in another state and he got in the university there and since he graduated from the school there and has been living there for over 10 years he is considered as resident of that state. But I have moved to Texas two years back, own a home and he is financially dependent He has declared resident of that state on AMCAS. He as also applied through TMDSAS. Now he surely will be Texas resident for tution purpose. But when I read TMDSAS criterion he could be Texas resident as well. But is there some regulation that doesn't allow him to claim rediency in Texas. As it stands he has declared non-resident in Texas since he said it would unethical to claim residency in two states. He already has been accepted in MD program in the other state. But he would prefer UTH or UTSW if he can. I don't think there is any problem with tution per se, it's just preference for admission. Ironically he was born in Texas and then we moved out for few years.