Changing your mind after telling prelim that they are your #1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zagreus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote a letter to a prelim program a few weeks ago expressing my strong interest and stating that they are my #1. I had every intention of ranking them #1 at the time. However, due to some very important unforeseen personal circumstances, I will not be able to rank them #1. Is this a match violation? Should I tell them that they are no longer my #1 or just let it go? They are a small community program in case you were wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Elsa...

frozen.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. It either means to "let it go" or that you'll be frozen/locked-out of residency programs FOREVER. I imagine it's the former. Clearly your exposure to modern day Disney features is wanting.

I wrote a letter to a prelim program a few weeks ago expressing my strong interest and stating that they are my #1. I had every intention of ranking them #1 at the time. However, due to some very important unforeseen personal circumstances, I will not be able to rank them #1. Is this a match violation? Should I tell them that they are no longer my #1 or just let it go? They are a small community program in case you were wondering.

what bothers me more is the little tag, "they are a small community program in case you were wondering" like somehow it's OK to go back on your word "cuz it's a community program"?

I'm with gutonc I think it's not a big deal in any case, but the attitudes I see toward community programs annoy me.

(And yes, I came from a very good med school, and had plenty of options for academic, and chose community on purpose, so this is not some embitterment and subsequent defensiveness because I was forced to a community program)

(And yes, I came from a very good med school, and had plenty of options for academic, and chose community on purpose, so this is not some embitterment and subsequent defensiveness because I was forced to a community program)

Your listing of your qualifications and range of choices actually screams embitterment and subsequent defensiveness. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but I gotta tell you, if your goal is to seem not that way, you've failed at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Your listing of your qualifications and range of choices actually screams embitterment and subsequent defensiveness. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but I gotta tell you, if your goal is to seem not that way, you've failed at it.

This is what I'm talking about.

I'm bitter in general, yes.

I don't like the snobbery I find in the medical field in general.

I also don't like it toward community programs. Usually when that opinion is expressed here, someone then proceeds to put down the person expressing that opinion.

Your post is a case in point.

That is why I make it clear that my opinion on the attitude towards community programs I would have even if I had gone to a university program. You don't have to believe any statement of my feelings.

In fact, that's exactly what you did in your post.

The general assholery in medicine and on these boards astounds. And you wonder why so many hold a negative opinion of doctors.