charity work in ps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I include my charity/volonteering work in my personal statement?
if yes, how can I tie it to pharmacy?
(I volonteered in a foster care for disabled kids and then I volonteered in pregnancy crisis center)

Members don't see this ad.

Including type of colunteer can be related to patient care and your compassion in the career

Members don't see this ad :)
1) how to relate an antiabortion activity to pharmacy?
2) how to relate volonteering with disabled children to pharmacy?

For your questions 2, I think helping disabled children make you a moral pharmacist. You have learned how to communicate with disabled students well, developed a special skill that will support you in future career. As a pharmacist, you will have to be able to communicate with normal customers as well as ones with disability.

That is what I will tell my interviewers.

Haha wait a minute...You're seriously trying to incorporate abortion, perhaps the most controversial American debate, into your pharmacy school personal statement? Let me know how that goes...

2) how to relate volonteering with disabled children to pharmacy?

I would exclude mentioning the first one...There's nothing wrong with it. However, like someone mentioned above me, it's one of the most controversial issues in our time. You should remain neutral - just so you fare well with everyone who takes a look at your application.

I would include mentioning the second one. You should mention how it has shaped you as a person...and I think you can figure out the rest.

Haha wait a minute...You're seriously trying to incorporate abortion, perhaps the most controversial American debate, into your pharmacy school personal statement? Let me know how that goes...
Talk about a shoot or miss. I'd also recommend talking about the death penalty, stem cell research, and gay's right to marriage. :laugh:

I agree don't put anything about abortion in there. Too controversial and you could end up alienating the adcoms. For the second, think about what you got out of the experience and what kind of personal growth you got. However, don't include the volunteer experience in your ps for the sake of adding it. You need to be able to relate it to the ps prompt.