Charles 1st. Questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, comrades! I would appreciate some info about Charles 1st.

How would you recommend to prepare for the entrance exams?

Is it possible to transfer from the English program to the Czech one in later years (assuming one has mastered the language) ?

What are the average student living expenses in Prague?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Regarding the entrance exam preparation, if you're from UK, then the exam is tested on all A-level stuff. If you're from the US, then it's tested from the AP level courses. I would recommend that you review all the topics (mentioned on the syllabus) or get a UK A levels books and review from that.

2) Yes, you can transfer if your Czech is good but Czech isn't really an easy language to master (I'm trying so hard and this language just gets harder and harder...with 7 grammatical cases, 2 verb pairs, and the vastness of the vocab.). Unless you've taken some advanced immersion course for 10 months or so, it's really not that easy to transfer. But of course you get a few advantage when you transfer like the fact that you have to pay a very minimal tuition fee. But it can also be very ruthless in the Czech parallel......they're very strict and even if you don't get your semesters' credit, you're out...as opposed to the English parallel where they give you an entire year to get your semester credits.

3) The student expenses vary from person to person so I don't know what exactly is the average. But from what I've seen and heard, it's anywhere from 500 EUR - 750 EUR. I'm sure you can manage at a lower range but then you would have to compromise on a lot of things (like living in the dormitories n stuff).

Thanks for your quick answer, shreypete! (I might need your help later next year; do you mind if I PM you then?)

The reason I am asking about Czech language is that I speak Russian as my first language and I really hope that this makes mastering Czech in 2 or 3 years a realistic enterprise. I am really worried about spending 6 years in a country without any meaningful contacts with local people and being afterward unable to work in that very place where you were educated (not that this is my goal, but still - who knows what will be the circumstances in 6 years, you know).

My situation is such that I have two options: Carribs or Europe. I am an EU citizen living in Canada, and I, basically, don't want to tie my future to North America but rather to the EU. At the same time, the perspective of spending 13000 euros every year for the next 6 years is not that attractive.

That's the story.

Members don't see this ad :)
2) Yes, you can transfer if your Czech is good but Czech isn't really an easy language to master (I'm trying so hard and this language just gets harder and harder...with 7 grammatical cases, 2 verb pairs, and the vastness of the vocab.). Unless you've taken some advanced immersion course for 10 months or so, it's really not that easy to transfer. But of course you get a few advantage when you transfer like the fact that you have to pay a very minimal tuition fee. But it can also be very ruthless in the Czech parallel......they're very strict and even if you don't get your semesters' credit, you're out...as opposed to the English parallel where they give you an entire year to get your semester credits.
So what happens on the 'English' course when you hit clinicals? Do you only treat patients fluent in English?

To Krok, if you're ultimate goal is the EU for sure, then attending a European school definitely makes a lot of sense. If your goal is to work in North America (particularly US), then the Carribean is the best option. Of course you can still work in America after having graduate from Europe (which is what I hopefully plan to do). Yes, don't hestitate to PM me if and when you have any questions. I'd be happy to help.

To Renalmedic: No, the students from the English parallel are required to have some knowledge of the language but the secret is that you don't have to be fluent (although they will tell you that you need to be fluent). You basically do meet tons of patients who speak in English. But if you want to make the best of the clinics, learning the language will be your best bet as you will get to interact with a lot more patients. Here in Europe, it's all about the effort you put into something...the possibilities are endless and one has to be self-motivated and self-disciplined to achieve his/her goals.

What other schools in europe are you looking at? I visited the school when I was thinking about going (Sweden has a crazy lottery and I wanted a back up in case). I really liked the city and had a good time.
I would pick the carib. for the weather though :)

Are there 4yr programs at Charles University?

No, none of the medical schools in Czech Republic offer any 4 year programs. I would recommend Poland for that.

hey.. well i think its better to study in hungary or slovakia.. im a student at debrecen uni.. we've had alot of transfer students from charles.. i dont recommend it.. as for the entrance exams.. i have some sample questions for debrecen university.. contact me if i can be of any assistance. add me if u need any help or advice about hungarian dental unis n how to go about applying to them. best of luck!

The only reason why you might have seen students transferring from Charles Univ. is because it is notoriously hard (and its dental program is one of the hardest in Europe with very few people making it to the final year). But those who can keep up, do well. It's as simple as that.

1) Regarding the entrance exam preparation, if you're from UK, then the exam is tested on all A-level stuff. If you're from the US, then it's tested from the AP level courses. I would recommend that you review all the topics (mentioned on the syllabus) or get a UK A levels books and review from that.

3) The student expenses vary from person to person so I don't know what exactly is the average. But from what I've seen and heard, it's anywhere from 500 EUR - 750 EUR. I'm sure you can manage at a lower range but then you would have to compromise on a lot of things (like living in the dormitories n stuff).

My son is interested in going to Charles, but entrance exams are to be taken in Prague? Not anywhere?
Strangely, my son is a Canadian citizen, but studying his senior high in Melbourne, Australia. Now he wants to do medicine. How about going back to Canada? Do you know anyone having gone back to Canada?
Did you take 6 yrs programme?
Can I get your email id so that I can correnspond with you?
Thanks!