-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Charlotte, NC job market
Started by james775
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I was unable to find a PP job there 10 years ago, the offer I got from the big group /AMC covering CMC was horrible. interested to see responses to see if/how things have changed.
I was unable to find a PP job there 10 years ago, the offer I got from the big group /AMC covering CMC was horrible. interested to see responses to see if/how things have changed.
caligas sounds better than charlottegas anyway
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We will be looking for a part time provider as my partner and I scale back in 2022. FT potential when one of us retires. Good pay and very nice place to work outside Charlotte.
Anyone with insight into the market in charlotte? I see postings on gaswork about NAAPA. Also see a providence anesthesia group. Just curious what the market is like and if there are any other jobs. Thanks
It's terrible. Look up Scope Anesthesia. Big debacle a couple years ago where the hospital gave the contract to this scam artist which led to 100+ anesthesiologists being kicked out and turned over. Have heard they use medical supervision (ie covering >4 CRNAs at a time) and there have been many disasters the hospital has tried to keep out of the public eye since the switch happened. I would steer clear.
Thread of interest to you
Last edited:
One only has to google Scope anesthesia and H1B and ask ... why would you need a waiver for a visa in a city like Charlotte? but if you need a waiver maybe Scope is the place for you! Last advertised H1B was 4/2021 but you can "find a physician" in Medicare.gov and search CHS anesthesia if you want to really find out who is working there......
Part time Physcian. Say it loud and say it proud!! Physician not Provider.
You gotta be over 40 if you are talking about retirement presumably. When did you incorporate “provider” into your vocabulary?
This I thought was something that young people did. You and @BLADEMDA need to stop with this.
You gotta be over 40 if you are talking about retirement presumably. When did you incorporate “provider” into your vocabulary?
This I thought was something that young people did. You and @BLADEMDA need to stop with this.
We will be looking for a part time provider as my partner and I scale back in 2022. FT potential when one of us retires. Good pay and very nice place to work outside Charlotte.
Yikes, I really did not intend any offense here. I am 66.Part time Physcian. Say it loud and say it proud!! Physician not Provider.
You gotta be over 40 if you are talking about retirement presumably. When did you incorporate “provider” into your vocabulary?
This I thought was something that young people did. You and @BLADEMDA need to stop with this.
We can't just go along with corporate and midlevel speak that tries to put us all on the same level and muddy the waters. If we do this, we are adding to the problem. Go to another country outside of America and tell people you are a "provider" and see if they know what that means.
It's not about offending me, it's just we in this profession need to have a united front and realize that our careers, education are undervalued and getting eroded slowly every day with this kind of vocabulary.
I tell anyone who dares call me a provider, I tell them that I am not a provider. I am a physician. We all need to get on board.
It's not about offending me, it's just we in this profession need to have a united front and realize that our careers, education are undervalued and getting eroded slowly every day with this kind of vocabulary.
I tell anyone who dares call me a provider, I tell them that I am not a provider. I am a physician. We all need to get on board.
Yikes, I really did not intend any offense here. I am 66.
Last edited:
Yes, I do agree with these sentiments and oddly I never use the term. TBH, I wrote that note on the run, probably coming from some meeting with a head full of admin speak.We can't just go along with corporate and midlevel speak that tries to put us all on the same level and muddy the waters. If we do this, we are adding to the problem. Go to another country outside of America and tell people you are a "provider" and see if they know what that means.
It's not about offending me, it's just we in this profession need to have a united front and realize that our careers, education are undervalued and getting eroded slowly every day with this kind of vocabulary.
I tell anyone who dares call me a provider that I am not a provider. I am a physician. We all need to get on board.
Anyway, I agree with your points and am the first to defend our profession given the opportunity.
Any update on scope anesthesia? Has anyone interviewed there?
apparently scope is more stable. Still some turnover and it’s really run by Atrium (telling Tom Wherry what to do). It’s not a true private practice but pay is good and hours fine apparently.
What I’m hearing is no one knows how the new Atrium/wake forest relationship will work, particularly as they build a new medical school.
Academics and what Wake Forest pays is very different than scope.
Nothing definitive…just lots of questions.
What I’m hearing is no one knows how the new Atrium/wake forest relationship will work, particularly as they build a new medical school.
Academics and what Wake Forest pays is very different than scope.
Nothing definitive…just lots of questions.
How is scope these days?
Same stable. Good pay. Big questions still remain as the med school is built though and likely residency to come and how Atrium deals with the big differences in Scope vs Wake Forest academics. Scope also doesn’t staff all of Atrium even in Charlotte area. Another group called Northeast staffs concord/university/Cornelius area. Point being it’s a good job but Atrium could pivot at any point and lots of options for them to do so
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve have seen the atrium scopes contract (2024 contract) seems reasonable. Average 45 hrs a week mid 550s range with match etc
10 weekends a month but more shift work.
Plus retirement match
It’s on gaswork but they will give u the details
As always. Negotiate a sign on bonus
Personally. I’d do 1 plus 1 sign on deals
LeBron James and KD 1 plus 1 contracts with the bonus.
Meaning 2 guaranteed years but u have option of bailing at end of year 1. Or option of taking second year bonus or renegotiate for higher pay.
10 weekends a month but more shift work.
Plus retirement match
It’s on gaswork but they will give u the details
As always. Negotiate a sign on bonus
Personally. I’d do 1 plus 1 sign on deals
LeBron James and KD 1 plus 1 contracts with the bonus.
Meaning 2 guaranteed years but u have option of bailing at end of year 1. Or option of taking second year bonus or renegotiate for higher pay.
10 weekends a year you mean?
Yes. 10 weekends a year. So every 5 weeks. There are no 24 hr calls. Just shift work. Some night shift work. This doc turned it down early but they have a second big time income source so didnt need the job.10 weekends a year you mean?
I’ve have seen the atrium scopes contract (2024 contract) seems reasonable. Average 45 hrs a week mid 550s range with match etc
10 weekends a month but more shift work.
Plus retirement match
It’s on gaswork but they will give u the details
As always. Negotiate a sign on bonus
Personally. I’d do 1 plus 1 sign on deals
LeBron James and KD 1 plus 1 contracts with the bonus.
Meaning 2 guaranteed years but u have option of bailing at end of year 1. Or option of taking second year bonus or renegotiate for higher pay.
yeah but its all medical direction/supervision. need atleast 650k base for that risk and running around like a preop monkey and a firefighter dealing with CRNA disasters
Which med school is being built and what university will it be associated withSame stable. Good pay. Big questions still remain as the med school is built though and likely residency to come and how Atrium deals with the big differences in Scope vs Wake Forest academics. Scope also doesn’t staff all of Atrium even in Charlotte area. Another group called Northeast staffs concord/university/Cornelius area. Point being it’s a good job but Atrium could pivot at any point and lots of options for them to do so
lol supervision warrants 650K a year ?yeah but its all medical direction/supervision. need atleast 650k base for that risk and running around like a preop monkey and a firefighter dealing with CRNA disasters
I've been everywhere. I really don't know about people's perception of supervising/medical direction. I don't waste much time preoping or prepping patients lines/blocks. 1:4 doesn't bother me. 1:7 was kinda of tough but I handled it for a couple of years.yeah but its all medical direction/supervision. need atleast 650k base for that risk and running around like a preop monkey and a firefighter dealing with CRNA disasters
What type of work do you think is hard work? I know workload because I'm all about workload. Many people are highly inefficient with their times. Yes, one complication will and can ruin the flow of any ACT model.
4 high acuity rooms to start is tough. So what exactly is running around? Seeing 28 GI preop and couple of ortho blocks is not high acuity in my opinion.
lol supervision warrants 650K a year ?
There are some disaster places but I've had the good fortune of working with great AAs and CRNAs while being 3:1; sometimes supervision jobs shouldn't be as maligned on this forum as they tend to be.
Last edited:
I agree… not all care team jobs are the same. Good crnas and AAs that call you and respect that you’re the dr and work as a team - great. A bunch of little bit—-s that treat you as a an unfortunate necessity that’s different
Arch Guillotti
Senior Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Exactly, everyone already has an echo!I don't waste much time preoping or prepping patients lines/blocks.
Wake Forest is the med school in Charlotte. Been in news for a while. Opens in next 12-16 months. I love folks saying direction/supervision is difficult crazy. It’s not. Act model is the correct model. 1:1-1:6 depending on the acuity/extra lines procedures/, timing etc. neonatal peds 1:1 to an eye center 1:6. Quit fooling yourselves thinking Md only is superior and it’s definitely not cost effective nor superior. But you folks keep sitting those healthy knee scopes and lap choles and pat yourself on the back thinking you have better care, whatever it takes to make you feel better
You do 1:1 supervision for neonates? Not very cost effective.Wake Forest is the med school in Charlotte. Been in news for a while. Opens in next 12-16 months. I love folks saying direction/supervision is difficult crazy. It’s not. Act model is the correct model. 1:1-1:6 depending on the acuity/extra lines procedures/, timing etc. neonatal peds 1:1 to an eye center 1:6. Quit fooling yourselves thinking Md only is superior and it’s definitely not cost effective nor superior. But you folks keep sitting those healthy knee scopes and lap choles and pat yourself on the back thinking you have better care, whatever it takes to make you feel better
Do you leave neonates unattended in pacu post op as you rush to start the next case?You do 1:1 supervision for neonates? Not very cost effective.
Any free anesthesia docs immediately available?
1:1 supervision of neonates is usually in true academics
WooooshDo you leave neonates unattended in pacu post op as you rush to start the next case?
Any free anesthesia docs immediately available?
1:1 supervision of neonates is usually in true academics
1 liability in solo MD vs. 4 liabilities in supervision. If my likelihood of relative adverse outcomes increases 400%, then I think its fair for my compensation to increase 15%.lol supervision warrants 650K a year ?
Im not about to let the hospital keep that extra physician salary profit in ACT vs solo all to themselves.
I've been everywhere. I really don't know about people's perception of supervising/medical direction. I don't waste much time preoping or prepping patients lines/blocks. 1:4 doesn't bother me. 1:7 was kinda of tough but I handled it for a couple of years.
What type of work do you think is hard work? I know workload because I'm all about workload. Many people are highly inefficient with their times. Yes, one complication will and can ruin the flow of any ACT model.
4 high acuity rooms to start is tough. So what exactly is running around? Seeing 28 GI preop and couple of ortho blocks is not high acuity in my opinion.
Its not that I think pre-op or supervision is hard work. I think its actually the opposite. It breeds laziness in anesthesiologists sitting in the lounge. We've all seen it. I also don't like dealing with inferiority complexes from CRNAs, which can and sometimes do lead to patients having bad outcomes.
My dislike for it simply is the risk of supervision vs solo, and the fact that I did not go to medical school to be an intra-op nurse manager.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you have any stats on whether malpractice lawsuits are more common in ACT model versus physician solo? I've been searching for this for awhile. Having extra hands that are capable is a great way to prevent adverse outcomes in my experience.1 liability in solo MD vs. 4 liabilities in supervision. If my likelihood of relative adverse outcomes increases 400%, then I think its fair for my compensation to increase 15%.
Im not about to let the hospital keep that extra physician salary profit in ACT vs solo all to themselves.
Its not that I think pre-op or supervision is hard work. I think its actually the opposite. It breeds laziness in anesthesiologists sitting in the lounge. We've all seen it. I also don't like dealing with inferiority complexes from CRNAs, which can and sometimes do lead to patients having bad outcomes.
My dislike for it simply is the risk of supervision vs solo, and the fact that I did not go to medical school to be an intra-op nurse manager.
I’d guess that four to one supervision results in at least four times as many lawsuits for the anesthesiologist.Do you have any stats on whether malpractice lawsuits are more common in ACT model versus physician solo? I've been searching for this for awhile. Having extra hands that are capable is a great way to prevent adverse outcomes in my experience.
In regards to the extra set of hands, my experience is that 90% of the time it’s my set of hands fixing the problem that the CRNA hands caused.
I’d potentially guess that too, but I want someone to prove it to me. Until then it’s a dubious claim imo. We don’t even have data from independent crna practice on settlement frequency and that would also help this debate.I’d guess that four to one supervision results in at least four times as many lawsuits for the anesthesiologist.
In regards to the extra set of hands, my experience is that 90% of the time it’s my set of hands fixing the problem that the CRNA hands caused.
The frequency of anesthesia complications has likely plummeted in the last 25 years despite care teams being the most common practice model now. We haven’t made anesthesia fool proof quite yet but we’re pretty close.
Picking out stochastic events like lawsuits is difficult as always.
All MD practices I’ve seen have a lot more people with tunnel vision and antiquated practice in my experience. Too comfortable and sure of themselves all too commonly.
Agree with this completely. Arrogance. Having talked to med mail companies they tell me no difference in claims. However I haven’t seen it written down either so if anyone has data please provideI’d potentially guess that too, but I want someone to prove it to me. Until then it’s a dubious claim imo. We don’t even have data from independent crna practice on settlement frequency and that would also help this debate.
The frequency of anesthesia complications has likely plummeted in the last 25 years despite care teams being the most common practice model now. We haven’t made anesthesia fool proof quite yet but we’re pretty close.
Picking out stochastic events like lawsuits is difficult as always.
All MD practices I’ve seen have a lot more people with tunnel vision and antiquated practice in my experience. Too comfortable and sure of themselves all too commonly.
I DO think it's hard work, if you want to actually play a significant role in the care of your patients. Mind-numbing doing 15+ pre-ops in a day. Near impossible for me to keep them all straight by the end of the day (especially when they're all complex and/or having big surgeries). I also find it much more demanding to run around from room to room, anticipating or correcting issues. Much worse when I worked with crnas who wouldn't call for help, wouldn't call for induction/emergence, and wouldn't follow directions (which I gave very few), as I literally had to be on my toes all the time to be where I needed to be. At least I have great AAs now who are excellent communicators and are easy to work with.1 liability in solo MD vs. 4 liabilities in supervision. If my likelihood of relative adverse outcomes increases 400%, then I think its fair for my compensation to increase 15%.
Im not about to let the hospital keep that extra physician salary profit in ACT vs solo all to themselves.
Its not that I think pre-op or supervision is hard work. I think its actually the opposite. It breeds laziness in anesthesiologists sitting in the lounge. We've all seen it. I also don't like dealing with inferiority complexes from CRNAs, which can and sometimes do lead to patients having bad outcomes.
My dislike for it simply is the risk of supervision vs solo, and the fact that I did not go to medical school to be an intra-op nurse manager.
Most days I'm doing my own cases and I find it FAR more relaxing and enjoyable, even when it's a sick patient or very demanding case.
Do you leave neonates unattended in pacu post op as you rush to start the next case?
Any free anesthesia docs immediately available?
1:1 supervision of neonates is usually in true academics
Same liability with neonate vs adult. No one gets more malpractice insurance because they do neonates. Yes, I will do solo cases all day.
So no one mans the pacu? That’s the questionSame liability with neonate vs adult. No one gets more malpractice insurance because they do neonates. Yes, I will do solo cases all day.
There was one place in California i worked mean eons ago had a peds airway issue…no one in pacu cause MD only
Hospital agreed to pay for free available MD 7-3p stipend (that was before stipends were common)
But only after the fact.
In ACT model? All mds man the PACU as they aren’t in the room. So 20 room place 5 mds available to help in PACU.So no one mans the pacu? That’s the question
There was one place in California i worked mean eons ago had a peds airway issue…no one in pacu cause MD only
Hospital agreed to pay for free available MD 7-3p stipend (that was before stipends were common)
But only after the fact.
I’m talking MD only places. Very few places leave an unattended less than 1 year oldIn ACT model? All mds man the PACU as they aren’t in the room. So 20 room place 5 mds available to help in PACU.
Post anesthesia alone
I'd like that as well, but I don't believe that every point has a study associated with it. I am going purely on deductive reasoning and logic.I’d potentially guess that too, but I want someone to prove it to me. Until then it’s a dubious claim imo. We don’t even have data from independent crna practice on settlement frequency and that would also help this debate.
The frequency of anesthesia complications has likely plummeted in the last 25 years despite care teams being the most common practice model now. We haven’t made anesthesia fool proof quite yet but we’re pretty close.
Picking out stochastic events like lawsuits is difficult as always.
All MD practices I’ve seen have a lot more people with tunnel vision and antiquated practice in my experience. Too comfortable and sure of themselves all too commonly.
I did mention the relative risk of anesthesia complications, not the absolute risk. It doesn't matter how safe anesthesia gets.
If you are liable for 4 rooms instead of 1, your risk of adverse events is going to be much higher than if running a solo room.
I cant speak for every MD practice or every ACT practice, but from my anecdotal experience, I have seen better quality of care delivered at MD only practices.
Deductive reasoning would also show that malpractice premiums are larger for care team anesthesiologists than for solo ones. To my knowledge, this is not the case.I'd like that as well, but I don't believe that every point has a study associated with it. I am going purely on deductive reasoning and logic.
I did mention the relative risk of anesthesia complications, not the absolute risk. It doesn't matter how safe anesthesia gets.
If you are liable for 4 rooms instead of 1, your risk of adverse events is going to be much higher than if running a solo room.
I cant speak for every MD practice or every ACT practice, but from my anecdotal experience, I have seen better quality of care delivered at MD only practices.
We may not know the risk but insurance companies definitely do. They act on those risks but I haven’t heard much about different premiums depending on the care model or that being a determining factor in tail coverage either.
Anyone with insight on that?
Again most large hospital systems and AMC are self insured these days.Deductive reasoning would also show that malpractice premiums are larger for care team anesthesiologists than for solo ones. To my knowledge, this is not the case.
We may not know the risk but insurance companies definitely do. They act on those risks but I haven’t heard much about different premiums depending on the care model or that being a determining factor in tail coverage either.
Anyone with insight on that?
Good point. To me, the flexibility and financial benefit of supervising outweighs the potential increase of malpractice. Much of malpractice is related to not following algorithms in emergencies, nerve block injuries, PACU complications, and positioning injuries. Most of it is preventable with minimal oversight in my experience and other malpractice comes from patients or places you'd never expect.Again most large hospital systems and AMC are self insured these days.
exactly, and the true outcomes are likely muddled because of this.Again most large hospital systems and AMC are self insured these days.
This is where we disagree. To me, the financial benefit doesnt outweigh the potential risk and harm to my patients.Good point. To me, the flexibility and financial benefit of supervising outweighs the potential increase of malpractice. Much of malpractice is related to not following algorithms in emergencies, nerve block injuries, PACU complications, and positioning injuries. Most of it is preventable with minimal oversight in my experience and other malpractice comes from patients or places you'd never expect.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have no proof to that there is more harm per patient with ACT. I’d grant that because you take care of more patients there’s more exposure to risk. But the benefit is that more people are taken care of under current rules and hospital structures.exactly, and the true outcomes are likely muddled because of this.
This is where we disagree. To me, the financial benefit doesnt outweigh the potential risk and harm to my patients.
Can you prove there isnt more harm?You have no proof to that there is more harm per patient with ACT. I’d grant that because you take care of more patients there’s more exposure to risk. But the benefit is that more people are taken care of under current rules and hospital structures.
Anesthesiologist Staffing Ratio and Surgical Patient Morbidity and Mortality
This cohort study uses data from the Multicenter Perioperative Outcomes Group database to examine the association between intraoperative anesthesiologist staffing ratio and surgical patient morbidity and mortality across 23 hospitals in 18 states.
A recent study that says morbidity increases as you increase staffing ratios.
Wake Forest is the med school in Charlotte. Been in news for a while. Opens in next 12-16 months. I love folks saying direction/supervision is difficult crazy. It’s not. Act model is the correct model. 1:1-1:6 depending on the acuity/extra lines procedures/, timing etc. neonatal peds 1:1 to an eye center 1:6. Quit fooling yourselves thinking Md only is superior and it’s definitely not cost effective nor superior. But you folks keep sitting those healthy knee scopes and lap choles and pat yourself on the back thinking you have better care, whatever it takes to make you feel better
Ohhh boy… 😂
Attachments
Wake Forest is the med school in Charlotte. Been in news for a while. Opens in next 12-16 months. I love folks saying direction/supervision is difficult crazy. It’s not. Act model is the correct model. 1:1-1:6 depending on the acuity/extra lines procedures/, timing etc. neonatal peds 1:1 to an eye center 1:6. Quit fooling yourselves thinking Md only is superior and it’s definitely not cost effective nor superior. But you folks keep sitting those healthy knee scopes and lap choles and pat yourself on the back thinking you have better care, whatever it takes to make you feel better
You are the one sounding superior.
As soon as you realize we are all on the same side, you might realize that which you don’t underatand.
You can say this or that, but you are working with your professions literal nemesis who claims you are no better than the CRNA you supervise… and you ARE better.
Chill bro. You are arguing with the wrong side.
Must be a guy who supervises/directs and doesnt sit his own stool who got his feelings hurt that others dont share his opinion.You are the one sounding superior.
As soon as you realize we are all on the same side, you might realize that which you don’t underatand.
You can say this or that, but you are working with your professions literal nemesis who claims you are no better than the CRNA you supervise… and you ARE better.
Chill bro. You are arguing with the wrong side.