Chart Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvanthus

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a really stupid question, but where in the world do people find chart reviews to do as medical students? Is it online someplace, through departments at your medical school, from medical organizations?

I'm unsure my school has any research projects to get involved with, but I at least want to be able to do some chart reviews.

To the haters, yes I did a search.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

This is probably a really stupid question, but where in the world do people find chart reviews to do as medical students? Is it online someplace, through departments at your medical school, from medical organizations?

I'm unsure my school has any research projects to get involved with, but I at least want to be able to do some chart reviews.

To the haters, yes I did a search.

Thanks in advance.

Pick a department and see who has labs. See if any of those labs do clinical work. Or, just go to the department administrator and ask if there are any clinical databases that need building. Worst comes to worst and googlescholar the individual doctors looking for someone doing clinical research.

I talked with people that I had shadowed in undergrad about coming back and doing a project with them- and they decided a chart review made the most sense for being there for 2 months in the summer. The PI had been interested in a new topic and wanted to look at a specific part so she got me started on that and then had surgery so I finished that part by myself. Currently editing my abstract and hopefully will get to present it this year and get a full article out soon as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ I swear, it's like everytime I see a post of yours, it's always about you partaking in some sort of research; it's like you're not-so-secretly showing off.

:D

^^ I swear, it's like everytime I see a post of yours, it's always about you partaking in some sort of research; it's like you're not-so-secretly showing off.

:D

That's funny- I did one project in college and this one in med school and that's it- which seems pretty inadequate for SDN standards.

If you have previous / current research supervisors who have an MD you can just ask them. Worked for me.

Make an appointment with the head of the department and ask. Every department at an academic center has active researchers and active projects going on, and they are glad for free labor.