New NRMP charting outcomes are out for 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZagDoc

Ears, Noses, and Throats
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

Some highlights for otolaryngology vs. the 2011 outcomes:
- Step 1 average for matched otolaryngology applicants is now highest of all specialties (oto at 248, plastics at 245, derm at 247)
- # of applicants risen by 60.
- 1 in 4 US seniors didn't match... this is up from 1 in 7 in 2011.
- ENT applicants had the 2nd highest # of mean research experiences of all specialties (2nd only to plastics)... In 2011 we lagged behind Rad Onc, Derm, and Plastics.
- AOA status up from 37% to 41%.

Happy to see our specialty so highly regarded by upcoming medical students, but I'm glad I went through the process years ago!

Members don't see this ad.

Happy to see our specialty so highly regarded by upcoming medical students, but I'm glad I went through the process years ago!

Ditto. It was stressful enough 10 years ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that's crazy, when I was applying the data said 238 and I think it was 15% unmatched US seniors

This is horrifying. As someone currently interested in the field who is busting their tail to stay in the "above average" but certainly not "stellar" category, I find it hard to not be exceedingly discouraged by this new information.

Great to see our specialty Otolaryngology came on top. Average matched Step 1 is 248! I wonder if the Step 1 scores overall have been inflating for last couple years especially with the average matched Step 1 for all matched specialties was 230.

It's a testament to our field. It's desirable. It's challenging. It offers great work-lifestyle balance. The pay is great. The question ceases to be "why choose otolaryngology" in favor of "why not choose otolaryngology."

More interesting are the probability curves, which I see now tapers after about 13-14 ranked programs. When I was applying, this was around 9 or 10. Also, you can see that there is no 100% guarantee for Step 1 scores, but only around a 90% probability with 260 or greater. Even with the mean Step 1 score, your probability is about 80%. High, but substantial chances for failure.

@Acetabulous : the mean Step 1 was 248, but look at the distribution of those who have matched. 39 people matched with scores between 231-240, and 18 people matched with scores between 211 and 230. However, it is weighted heavily towards those with 241 and above: 103 people between 241-250 and 76 between 251-260. These are incredible numbers.

I should update my sticky.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a testament to our field. It's desirable. It's challenging. It offers great work-lifestyle balance. The pay is great. The question ceases to be "why choose otolaryngology" in favor of "why not choose otolaryngology."
Is it? I totally agree with everything else here, but the pay isn't known to be fantastic. I know an ENT couple who both have fellowship training that work their asses off and still complain about money. I guess it ultimately depends on where you live and how much you decide is enough for you though.

Most recent survey data I saw shows us making about 350k. It varies based on location. Relative to the number of hours worked, it's pretty good

In terms of what physicians make, ENT is on the upper end of the spectrum. In general, the median income is very good, and as Pir8DeacDoc said, for the hours worked, it's pretty good.

Reimbursement is always a reflection of volumes of patients seen, numbers and types of surgeries performed, payor mix and other ancillary services performed. One can't assume that fellowship training will make you more money because it depends. If you're fellowship trained in pediatric otolaryngology and you see primarily Medicaid patients and do primarily T&As and tubes, you're not going to make a whole lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it? I totally agree with everything else here, but the pay isn't known to be fantastic. I know an ENT couple who both have fellowship training that work their asses off and still complain about money. I guess it ultimately depends on where you live and how much you decide is enough for you though.

Some people can find anything to complain about. I have no complaints about how much I earn.

Maybe they are employed? Or in a bad practice arrangement, otherwise.

Both are in a metropolitan area, one in a particularly low income neighborhood. The husband has a practice, the wife works at an academic hospital but idk the exact arrangement. It's very expensive to live here and they have kids. I guess that's why.

Overhead is high and there is usually over-saturation in metro areas, too. Being an ENT, or almost any type of doctor in a major metro area means you are nothing special, with regards to income and social status.

In general, I think docs are not great at leveraging their education or using the money they make (when the FINALLY make it) in a wealth-creating manner. Many doctors make terrible financial decisions and will complain about not having any money regardless of their net income.