Chasing the little white ball

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kvl1027

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just starting an off-topic discussion about one of my passions...golf.

Anyone else out there obsessed? I figured maybe we can have pharmacist/student discussion about the tour, equipment, golf stories and maybe some tips and swing help. Maybe some pics of equipment to all of those equipment ****** out there, such as my self.

It seems that golf is more reserved for business types and MD's, but there has to be a lot of Pharmers who play, plus all you northerners who are snow'd in and hitting foam balls in your living room to keep your swings together can feed the golf troll on SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

just bought a new callaway golf bag yesterday!

just bought a new callaway golf bag yesterday!

Nice, I just recently updated all of my equipment. New Titleist bag, AP2 710 irons, 910 D3 Driver, and 910 Hybrids, and Vokey Wedges. The only thing I'm missing is a Scotty Cameron putter I have been drooling over.

I told myself it was going to be my graduation present to myself, but it took me over a year to make the purchase. I'll post some pics up tonight of my junk :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
We've had this thread numerous times.

And each time we've come to the conclusion that its an overrated game for unathletic and/or old people as a substitute for more proper athletic pursuits.

I can hit a ball..

I've been golfing probably longer than you've been alive.. No, I didn't learn to play with hickory shaft and Gutta Percha. But I did start with Persimmon and Balata.

Golf has changed. Not many in healthcare play anymore. At this point, I don't know of any physicians who play. I know a couple of dentist golfers.

Of course I'm avid. With my previous job, I was the company ringer. Traveled across country and played in many tournaments.

Wanna talk equipment?

Not hot on Cameron. Putting is more in your head (between your ears) than equipment. Then again, so is golf.

Shaft appropriate for your tempo and club head speed is important.

Over the years and hundreds of different clubs, the biggest impact (beside my game management) from equipment changes came from

1. Titanium driver head (460cc head)
2. Hybrid clubs
3. Modern graphite shaft on driver. Still prefer steel shaft on irons.

That's it.

Modern irons are no better than the perimeter weighing of Ping Eye II. Yes, the cover on ProV1x is better than anything I've tried but the Old Spaulding Tour Edition spun just as much or more. No modern ball is softer than the old Titleist Pro Balata.

Of course modern balls are better and travel further and I enjoy them.

We've had this thread numerous times.

And each time we've come to the conclusion that its an overrated game for unathletic and/or old people as a substitute for more proper athletic pursuits.

You couldn't hit a golf ball straight even if you tried.

Is your new residency program going to require a golfing rotation? If so I might not be qualified

:smuggrin:

Hello No..

Be prepared to work so hard you'll curse me daily.

Mini-golf is about the only thing I can do and even then...:(

I'll play any of you in my version of golf. 3 holes. One club. Only rule is that you can only hit a ball with a club. Want to hit another dude's ball the wrong direction? Fine. Want to drive the golf cart over another player's ball and take the keys? Sure. Steal the other player's club and throw it in a lake? Sure. Take a poop on another player's ball? Why not.

Bottom line...as many swings as you want, because that's not what matters...but the first to finish 3 holes wins.

Strategy. Stamina. Moxie. A real sport.

in golf...its not a hit but rather a swing with the ball getting in the way

Shaddap... there's a difference between a swing thought of making a smooth swing where the ball gets in the way of a club head path thereby propelling the ball vs. a common golf lingo of "hit the ball"

Does your clubhead not "hit" the ball???? if you can propel a golf ball without "hitting" it...then you're playing a game I'm not familiar with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll play any of you in my version of golf. 3 holes. One club. Only rule is that you can only hit a ball with a club. Want to hit another dude's ball the wrong direction? Fine. Want to drive the golf cart over another player's ball and take the keys? Sure. Steal the other player's club and throw it in a lake? Sure. Take a poop on another player's ball? Why not.

Bottom line...as many swings as you want, because that's not what matters...but the first to finish 3 holes wins.

Now... that.. is stupid. Or...I think they call that hockey if you add "fight" component to it.

I can hit a ball..

I've been golfing probably longer than you've been alive.. No, I didn't learn to play with hickory shaft and Gutta Percha. But I did start with Persimmon and Balata.

Golf has changed. Not many in healthcare play anymore. At this point, I don't know of any physicians who play. I know a couple of dentist golfers.

Of course I'm avid. With my previous job, I was the company ringer. Traveled across country and played in many tournaments.

Wanna talk equipment?

Not hot on Cameron. Putting is more in your head (between your ears) than equipment. Then again, so is golf.

Shaft appropriate for your tempo and club head speed is important.

Over the years and hundreds of different clubs, the biggest impact (beside my game management) from equipment changes came from

1. Titanium driver head (460cc head)
2. Hybrid clubs
3. Modern graphite shaft on driver. Still prefer steel shaft on irons.

That's it.

Modern irons are no better than the perimeter weighing of Ping Eye II. Yes, the cover on ProV1x is better than anything I've tried but the Old Spaulding Tour Edition spun just as much or more. No modern ball is softer than the old Titleist Pro Balata.

Of course modern balls are better and travel further and I enjoy them.

I agree that equipment is not as important, at lease when you are still trying to learn how to hit the ball well. But once you can strike the ball well with some precision, upgrading to a fitted set with the proper shafts will generally improve your game, at least it has made improvements in my game.

I was always told I shouldn't switch to a forged blade because they are more difficult to hit, but they have improved my ball striking through better feedback.

As far as putters go, you couldn't be more correct. Anyone can put just as well with a stick tied to a flat piece of metal once they get their tempo and the feel down. I have to admit that my quest for a scotty cameron putter is purely self indulgent. The putter I have been using for the past 7 years is beginning to fail me and I need change to keep me interested.

I am not that old, 31, but I also learned on persimmon. Mainly because I grew up dirt poor and it was all my leaf raking money could afford me in a set of mix/match clubs.

Do you work on your clubs yourself? I do all of my re-gripping and would like to get more into re-shafting and other "golfsmithing" type projects.

As much as a golf purest I am, I think you have something here. It would definitely be more interesting to watch for the non-golfer. Combat golf, kind of reminds me of that old Mayan game that was like basketball, but I am pretty sure they used opponent's heads as balls.

I agree that equipment is not as important, at lease when you are still trying to learn how to hit the ball well. But once you can strike the ball well with some precision, upgrading to a fitted set with the proper shafts will generally improve your game, at least it has made improvements in my game.

I was always told I shouldn't switch to a forged blade because they are more difficult to hit, but they have improved my ball striking through better feedback.

As far as putters go, you couldn't be more correct. Anyone can put just as well with a stick tied to a flat piece of metal once they get their tempo and the feel down. I have to admit that my quest for a scotty cameron putter is purely self indulgent. The putter I have been using for the past 7 years is beginning to fail me and I need change to keep me interested.

I am not that old, 31, but I also learned on persimmon. Mainly because I grew up dirt poor and it was all my leaf raking money could afford me in a set of mix/match clubs.

Do you work on your clubs yourself? I do all of my re-gripping and would like to get more into re-shafting and other "golfsmithing" type projects.

Ehh... mis-hits with forged blades just don't go as far...that's all. And it will jar you...especially when it's cold. I played with Mizuno MP-33 for some years. Can't say I played better or worse. Definitely better results with perimeter weighted clubs on mi****s but can't say how many strokes better.

It's not the material "forged" vs. "cast" steel that makes the difference. It's clubhead design. Also, don't buy into "softer" feel of forged steel clubs. Aint no one sensitive enough to distinguish the difference in feel at impact. It's the design of the club, shaft material, and ball material that impart the vibration feel you experience.

Yes, I work on my clubs. I used to work at a pro shop and changed many grips. Also built many clubs... golfsmith...golfworks.. SMT... ZT.... all those non-OEM clubs.

Ok..what's in the bag.

Driver & 3 metal: Taylor Made Super-Fast 9.5* and 15*
Hybrids: Cobra Baffler 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7
Irons: Taylor Made R7 tp 8 & 9
Wedges: Clevelend 48*, 52* Taylor Made RAC tp 56* & 60*
Putter: Ping Craz-E

Yes that's 15 clubs. I switch & swab between 2 & 3 hybrids.

Yes, I only have 2 irons..and all are hybrids. My 7 hybrid is actually a women's 6 hybrid reshafted with TT Dynamic Gold s-300.

I do have the clubs dialed in to how far I hit them. Obviously when I'm not striking the ball well, I overclub.

The most important swing thought now is "tempo." Smooth tempo doesn't necessarily mean slow swing and it does allow me to strike the ball better. Then everything else is how I manage the round. And that's all in my head.

I struggle with shut club-face at the top..a grained move to compensate my severe into out swing path to bring the ball back with a draw... which turns into a nasty hookenfuker when I get quick.. I'm working on it.

Ehh... mis-hits with forged blades just don't go as far...that's all. And it will jar you...especially when it's cold. I played with Mizuno MP-33 for some years. Can't say I played better or worse. Definitely better results with perimeter weighted clubs on mi****s but can't say how many strokes better.

It's not the material "forged" vs. "cast" steel that makes the difference. It's clubhead design. Also, don't buy into "softer" feel of forged steel clubs. Aint no one sensitive enough to distinguish the difference in feel at impact. It's the design of the club, shaft material, and ball material that impart the vibration feel you experience.

Yes, I work on my clubs. I used to work at a pro shop and changed many grips. Also built many clubs... golfsmith...golfworks.. SMT... ZT.... all those non-OEM clubs.

When I miss hit it, I know it. I used to play some game improvement irons with a large cavity, all perimeter weighting and when I miss hit them I couldn't really tell. The result was decent, but I was missing greens left and right and my shot dispersion was very wide. I was able to dip into the low 80's on ocassion and was loosing strokes with a low GIR %.

The blades I play with have a very slight cavity and some perimeter weighting, but after I started using them, i was forced to hit the sweet spot and able to really dial in my swing. Now I am dipping into the 70's and consistently shooting low 80's IT has really made a big difference for me.

You are definitly right about tempo, pretty my only swing thought.

Ok..what's in the bag.

Driver & 3 metal: Taylor Made Super-Fast 9.5* and 15*
Hybrids: Cobra Baffler 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7
Irons: Taylor Made R7 tp 8 & 9
Wedges: Clevelend 48*, 52* Taylor Made RAC tp 56* & 60*
Putter: Ping Craz-E

Yes that's 15 clubs. I switch & swab between 2 & 3 hybrids.

Yes, I only have 2 irons..and all are hybrids. My 7 hybrid is actually a women's 6 hybrid reshafted with TT Dynamic Gold s-300.

I do have the clubs dialed in to how far I hit them. Obviously when I'm not striking the ball well, I overclub.

The most important swing thought now is "tempo." Smooth tempo doesn't necessarily mean slow swing and it does allow me to strike the ball better. Then everything else is how I manage the round. And that's all in my head.

I struggle with shut club-face at the top..a grained move to compensate my severe into out swing path to bring the ball back with a draw... which turns into a nasty hookenfuker when I get quick.. I'm working on it.

I used to run Taylormade gear, they do have excellent quality and performance.

I sold all of my Taylormade gear off and refuse to buy any Taylormade or Addidas products. I had a run-in with the CEO of Addidas several years back when I was a bartender in a convention Hotel. He thought he was better than everyone else because he was worth a lot of money and ran Addidas, and I let him know he was going to wait just like everyone else. Not too mention all of the Addidas employees at the conference were all the biggest POS's I have ever delt with. I just can't in good concience support that company.

You take your coffee very seriously...........pretty intense.
40252199564219328438311.jpg

I'm no latte art master, but I'm getting better.