Feeling a little overwhelmed roughly a month out from Naplex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdudley

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My test is at the end of June and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed trying to memorize everything for the Naplex. I'm currently using the RXprep book, which I know is one of the better resources for the test, and watching the videos/doing the quizzes associated with the book. I fell behind/procrastinated studying because I was routinely hearing that we likely weren't going to get to test till August due to where I'm located and COVID, but was able to get a test date earlier.

My school routinely has a >95% PR and had>98% last year so I don't feel like I'm in a school that didn't prepare me, and I routinely got A's and B's throughout school. My biggest issue right now is matching Brand/Generic drugs due to working in hospital throughout school, and just knowing more "in-depth" drug mechanism stuff that more deals with pathology rather than simply "Lasix is a loop diuretic that is used in lowering blood pressure by decreasing blood volume and electrolytes".

My strengths are definitely in the Math/Stats/Studies categories as well as interpreting patient cases, as that is where much of my internship training was, but I feel like I'm struggling to get through the chapters even putting in 6-8 hours a day for the last couple weeks.

Any advice? Should I reschedule or am I worrying too much and should just power through?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have been doing well at school, I don't think NAPLEX will be a problem for you. If you really think time is running out for you, I would say skip watching the videos - personally I think it doesn't worth the time. I just read the RxPrep book and had no problem. It is good that you are good that math/stats. I had fairly good amount of questions regarding relative risk stuff (of course, questions will be different for each students).

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but my score for RxPrep practice exam was less than 75 - yet I managed to get 3 digits in actual exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you will be good for the exam. It seems like you have everything covered. If you are strong in the math areas, you already have an advantage. I spent most of my time studying math since it is my weakest area. You should do well answering patient cases which is the majority of the therapeutic questions since you have a clinical background. Go through your Brand/Generic everyday, and make sure to cover compounding chapters. You will never feel completely ready for the exam, I passed on my first attempt and I am not great at math nor did I have a clinical background.

So I just took the pre-naplex practice exams a couple days apart and got a 101 and a 97. I felt like the second one was a lot harder than the first but only did a few points worse so I don't know.

I know NABP says that it's not indicative of your score on the NAPLEX, but is everyone's experience with it? I still have about 2 weeks, just stay on course and work on problem areas? I feel like there wasn't a plethora of "weird"/less common topics on the practice exams so I'm not sure how I actually feel.