Cheap Nice Clothes for Pharmacy Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mmm...I wonder why the sudden switch😕. Anyways, I will be changing that.😛

I don't know why either. Medical schools and dental schools have more males, but pharmacy schools and nursing schools have more females. Don't know why! 😕 I hope you get in too! good luck! 🙂
 
I don't know why either. Medical schools and dental schools have more males, but pharmacy schools and nursing schools have more females. Don't know why! 😕 I hope you get in too! good luck! 🙂

I dunno...

For medicine, the difference is really imperceptible.

According to the AAMC data, the difference between men and women is but a few percentage points.

For example, in 2008, male matriculants were 52.2%, female 47.8%. 2007 was 51.2-48.8, and in some years past, the difference was less than half a percentage point. So yeah, there are technically "more", but the disparity is tiny.

Certainly nothing like we see in pharmacy school, where 75% of matriculants are female, for example. LOL...
 
My fiancee can never find out that pharm school is 75% female. She'll give me a shock collar!

my wife found my Rx for Success booked and was checking out the schools I applied to, and saw the female/male ratio. Chastity belt time! GPS locator ankle bracelet! LOL!

I told her the pharmacy I work in is completely female. At any given time, if the male residents aren't in the pharmacy, I am the only male in the pharmacy.

I'm not complaining, the toilet is clean and the office supply-type stuff we need is never out.
 
http://www.sootangerine.com/

this website actually has some pretty trendy and sexy stuff for women. I just purchased 4 dresses and used the coupon code they had on the site to get an additional 15% off (sale15). Plus i got free shipping for ordering over 60 dollars. So i saved 17 bucks from that 15%+free shipping. Overall each dress only cost roughly 15 bucks a piece which is a GREAT deal. I recommend this site if you are trying to save money and love cheap prices
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this site must be direct order from the sweatshop in china or something.. haha..
notice there are no caucasians in any of the modeling pictures, and their grammar is terrible!

"Casual tops just for every ordinary day, you can count on SooTangerine."
 
this site must be direct order from the sweatshop in china or something.. haha..
notice there are no caucasians in any of the modeling pictures, and their grammar is terrible!

"Casual tops just for every ordinary day, you can count on SooTangerine."

Maybe their clothes wouldn't fit a caucasian woman.

These girls in my pharmacy, I swear they must wear size triple zero. My bicep circumference is about equivalent to their waist, and I don't go out of my way to lift weights, LOL.
 
is this really a good deal? why wouldn't you just wait for a sale at your local macys. You might pay a little more, but you'd be buying something with better quality. I know that dress would look hideous on me.
 
my wife found my Rx for Success booked and was checking out the schools I applied to, and saw the female/male ratio. Chastity belt time! GPS locator ankle bracelet! LOL!

I told her the pharmacy I work in is completely female. At any given time, if the male residents aren't in the pharmacy, I am the only male in the pharmacy.

I'm not complaining, the toilet is clean and the office supply-type stuff we need is never out.


Oh wow. Yay for single life.:laugh:
 
Our H&M must be different than yours, 'cos it's anything but "Cheap"

Thats strange H&M in NYC was really cheap too. Its cheap compare to BEBE and Polo, but about the same price compare to Target.

Ross, Marshalls and TJMax are great places to shop if you are on a budget.
 
Thats strange H&M in NYC was really cheap too. Its cheap compare to BEBE and Polo, but about the same price compare to Target.

Ross, Marshalls and TJMax are great places to shop if you are on a budget.

Well, from what I remember about H&M as opposed to, say, Forever21 or Target, is that the items can get really expensive. We were in union square and popped in the mall there (gorrrrgeous mall) and one skirt for her was $79.99. I certainly do not expect to see those price tags at WalMart or Target, you know? And definitely not at like, AE or Forever21. I guess you might find a shirt or some shorts for 20 bucks, or maybe my wife has a tendency of getting expensive items and not the cheap ones, but I just have it imprinted in my mind's eye as an expensive store.

Urban Outfitters, another one of her favorite digs... Is another story. Like Free People, a store that looks like it should be super cheap, and looks like it caters to inexpensive tastes, but in reality is ridiculously expensive.
 
It's got its downsides, marriage does, but after a couple years in the Army as a single guy and alllll that time in college as a single guy, I appreciate the comforts and stability of marriage.


Well that's good. I think it all boils down to the people in the relationship and if they can, at the same time, provide support in any form. I have been in relationships that were draining and it's hard for me to maintain it, school and work at the same time so I am focusing on what is more important to me at this time. I am only 21 and do not plan on marrying until after I get done with school. 🙂
 
Well, from what I remember about H&M as opposed to, say, Forever21 or Target, is that the items can get really expensive. We were in union square and popped in the mall there (gorrrrgeous mall) and one skirt for her was $79.99. I certainly do not expect to see those price tags at WalMart or Target, you know? And definitely not at like, AE or Forever21. I guess you might find a shirt or some shorts for 20 bucks, or maybe my wife has a tendency of getting expensive items and not the cheap ones, but I just have it imprinted in my mind's eye as an expensive store.

Urban Outfitters, another one of her favorite digs... Is another story. Like Free People, a store that looks like it should be super cheap, and looks like it caters to inexpensive tastes, but in reality is ridiculously expensive.

You are right H&M has some expensive stuff, but they also have cheap items too. I remember I was looking for a black leather handbag. I wanted a cheaper one, so I went into H&M and the only one I actually like was $125 dollars, its not very expensive, but its "expensive" for that kind of store. So I didn't get it. Forever21 has nice accessories, but I would never wear anything from that store. Kinda like Abercrombie, I use to shop there every week when I was in high school but now that I am old, I can't see myself wearing that stuff anymore.

Oh Free People is really expensive, ALL their stuff is over priced, but the stuff does look very original, kinda like Hot Topic, all their crap is very ugly but super expensive/not worth the price.

BEBE and ArbenB are the only stores I shop at now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah, that thread reminds me how my friends and I would go through the clearance racks at the very nice and very expensive department store, and say to each other that one day, when we are rich pharmacists, we would be able to afford to shop there not on clearance. Guess what? Several years later, we still mostly shop clearance. 😀 Expenses tend to grow proportionally to income growth. 🙄
 
do yo u want nicer clothes or t-shirts?

try H&M, express, or macy's

for t-shirts, i buy more underground brands off of digitalgravel.com and karmaloop.com

I definately concur with looking for nice clothes at Macy's, particularly when they have sales on their Donald Trump line. Great shirts, and only one of few that make a french cuff.
 
Tara bought a few pieces of that "Cirque" circus ring-master clothing line thing, and it's pretty cool looking. She's got some blouses and one skirt from there too and they're still nice even after a few mos. and lots of wear, so I don't think MOST of their clothes are bad. I think the only thing should DOESN'T like there is the accessories, LOL! She gets almost all of them through an online mostly-shoe retailer called Piperlime.

I'm pretty much a Ralph Lauren kinda guy... I own a dozen Polo shirts in varying shades and colors and a lot of Dockers, Kenneth Cole and Van Heusen pants. Shorts I usually get from Old Navy, pretty cheap... but nothing compares to the expense of buying womens' clothing. I am dreading the suit she's going to need for her law interview, iffin' they do those.


You are right H&M has some expensive stuff, but they also have cheap items too. I remember I was looking for a black leather handbag. I wanted a cheaper one, so I went into H&M and the only one I actually like was $125 dollars, its not very expensive, but its "expensive" for that kind of store. So I didn't get it. Forever21 has nice accessories, but I would never wear anything from that store. Kinda like Abercrombie, I use to shop there every week when I was in high school but now that I am old, I can't see myself wearing that stuff anymore.

Oh Free People is really expensive, ALL their stuff is over priced, but the stuff does look very original, kinda like Hot Topic, all their crap is very ugly but super expensive/not worth the price.

BEBE and ArbenB are the only stores I shop at now.
 
Tara bought a few pieces of that "Cirque" circus ring-master clothing line thing, and it's pretty cool looking. She's got some blouses and one skirt from there too and they're still nice even after a few mos. and lots of wear, so I don't think MOST of their clothes are bad. I think the only thing should DOESN'T like there is the accessories, LOL! She gets almost all of them through an online mostly-shoe retailer called Piperlime.

I'm pretty much a Ralph Lauren kinda guy... I own a dozen Polo shirts in varying shades and colors and a lot of Dockers, Kenneth Cole and Van Heusen pants. Shorts I usually get from Old Navy, pretty cheap... but nothing compares to the expense of buying womens' clothing. I am dreading the suit she's going to need for her law interview, iffin' they do those.

Which store is Cirque from? Forever 21? I have some accessories from Forever 21, but most of my earrings comes from ArbenB or BeBe. I like big, long, heavy earrings. My mom tells me they look tacky, but I don't care. :laugh:

I will look into Piperlime though. Besides shoes and purses, I also have an earring fetish. Clothes however I really don't care, as long as it looks good and I am not too old for it, I will wear it.

Your wife is lucky that Law school don't have interviews b/c those suits are very pricey.
 
Which store is Cirque from? Forever 21? I have some accessories from Forever 21, but most of my earrings comes from ArbenB or BeBe. I like big, long, heavy earrings. My mom tells me they look tacky, but I don't care. :laugh:

I will look into Piperlime though. Besides shoes and purses, I also have an earring fetish. Clothes however I really don't care, as long as it looks good and I am not too old for it, I will wear it.

Your wife is lucky that Law school don't have interviews b/c those suits are very pricey.

Cirque is from Forever21 yeah. It's pretty cool, I like it. And cheaper than her A/X clothes, lol...

Lucky for me, she doesn't like to wear earrings. I bought her sapphire earrings one year to match her bracelet and she's worn 'em only a few times... Just as well I guess.

And definitely a good thing law interviews don't exist. Although it kinda sucks to have yourself boiled down to LSAT and GPA with no human component.
 
Ah, that thread reminds me how my friends and I would go through the clearance racks at the very nice and very expensive department store, and say to each other that one day, when we are rich pharmacists, we would be able to afford to shop there not on clearance. Guess what? Several years later, we still mostly shop clearance. 😀 Expenses tend to grow proportionally to income growth. 🙄

Actually it is smarter and makes more sense to shop at clearance racks of nice stores. Why pay more money for the EXACT same item? I hate buying a shirt for 70 dollars and then have it go on sale the next week for 40 dollars. Paying more money for the exact same item just makes no sense. However, its the items that NEVER go on sale that I really love b/c I know my purchase is a good one. For example Rainbow Sandals, Birkenstocks, Louis Vuitton bags, homes, etc. are all items that will never go on sale. Louis Vuitton and houses actually INCREASE in value over time, so I don't mind spending extra money on those items b/c I know I won't end up losing money. However items that go on sale easily or items that lose value easily are items that I always wait forever to get or I spend little money on. Cars for example why buy an expensive car if you can put all that money into a bigger house and buy a average car.
 
Actually it is smarter and makes more sense to shop at clearance racks of nice stores. Why pay more money for the EXACT same item? I hate buying a shirt for 70 dollars and then have it go on sale the next week for 40 dollars. Paying more money for the exact same item just makes no sense. However, its the items that NEVER go on sale that I really love b/c I know my purchase is a good one. For example Rainbow Sandals, Birkenstocks, Louis Vuitton bags, homes, etc. are all items that will never go on sale. Louis Vuitton and houses actually INCREASE in value over time, so I don't mind spending extra money on those items b/c I know I won't end up losing money. However items that go on sale easily or items that lose value easily are items that I always wait forever to get or I spend little money on. Cars for example why buy an expensive car if you can put all that money into a bigger house and buy a average car.
It always makes me smile when I see students at the Midyear carrying Luis Vuitton bags, of the cheapest variety (they run a couple hundred dollars)... heck, one of the reasons I would never buy a Coach, a Dooney & Burke, or a cheap Luis Vuitton is because everyone and their dog buy them and it cheapens the idea. Paying several hundred dollars on a run-of-the-mill bag is pretty stupid... and I think Luis Vuitton bags are ugly anyway, so I won't buy any. 😀

Shopping on clearance has one downside - if you are going to buy something trendy, by the time it goes on clearance, it is [nearly] out of style. 😉 So, sometimes, it pays to buy something early - but that is only if you fall in love with the item and decide it is worth the money. My golden rule is one or two such items per season, to be worn enough to get my money's worht out them, and then they go to Goodwill, or, if I love them that much, into storage until they come back en vogue. 🙂
 
It always makes me smile when I see students at the Midyear carrying Luis Vuitton bags, of the cheapest variety (they run a couple hundred dollars)... heck, one of the reasons I would never buy a Coach, a Dooney & Burke, or a cheap Luis Vuitton is because everyone and their dog buy them and it cheapens the idea. Paying several hundred dollars on a run-of-the-mill bag is pretty stupid... and I think Luis Vuitton bags are ugly anyway, so I won't buy any. 😀

Shopping on clearance has one downside - if you are going to buy something trendy, by the time it goes on clearance, it is [nearly] out of style. 😉 So, sometimes, it pays to buy something early - but that is only if you fall in love with the item and decide it is worth the money. My golden rule is one or two such items per season, to be worn enough to get my money's worht out them, and then they go to Goodwill, or, if I love them that much, into storage until they come back en vogue. 🙂

You mean the FAKE Louis Vuitton bags? yes, they are ugly and I can tell from a mile away that they are fake. So I would avoid buying any of them. They also have no value, so if you pay $200 dollars for a fake LV bag, you wasted about $195 dollars. 🙄 However, if you buy a real one, the value increases every 6 months to 1 year.

The other downside of clearance is that they always run out of the XSmall and Size zero. The only sizes left are always huge. Bebe came out with XXSmall and XXXSmall but those are always gone before clearance comes around. 🙁
 
You mean the FAKE Louis Vuitton bags? yes, they are ugly and I can tell from a mile away that they are fake. So I would avoid buying any of them. They also have no value, so if you pay $200 dollars for a fake LV bag, you wasted about $195 dollars. 🙄 However, if you buy a real one, the value increases every 6 months to 1 year.

The other downside of clearance is that they always run out of the XSmall and Size zero. The only sizes left are always huge. Bebe came out with XXSmall and XXXSmall but those are always gone before clearance comes around. 🙁

this might sound like a stupid question but you seem to know a lot about bags and how to make money off of them.

you've said before that the value of the bags increases after you buy them and you've indicated previously that you can sell these bags at great profits...so is this a good business idea? it sounds like a sure way to make LOTS of money. buy a bag and then sell it for 25% more a yr later? you must be making LOTS of money doing this eh?

btw, can you pick out "fake" birckenstocks? i've had my sandals confused at that. i bought them for like 12 bucks, and didn't know wtf birckenstocks were until someone asked me & i looked it up.
 
Both my husband and I have had good luck finding clothes at JC Penney. I get most of my casual stuff at Eddie Bauer (although that may change now that they're going to more outdoor clothes), and every once in a while, the tops I have from there work for work clothes as well.

My internship is in a hospital with a dress code, and the button down shirts and pants I got at JC Penney were really inexpensive and work great. They also have a good selection of petite pants. Don't get me wrong; there's a lot of stuff there I wouldn't be caught dead in, but their work clothes are perfect for my budget.

Anne Taylor Loft also works well. I got some nice clothes in their clearance section. And they have a good petite section as well. Just make sure you have a seam ripper, because they put these scratchy tags with anti-theft things in their clothes...
 
this might sound like a stupid question but you seem to know a lot about bags and how to make money off of them.

you've said before that the value of the bags increases after you buy them and you've indicated previously that you can sell these bags at great profits...so is this a good business idea? it sounds like a sure way to make LOTS of money. buy a bag and then sell it for 25% more a yr later? you must be making LOTS of money doing this eh?

btw, can you pick out "fake" birckenstocks? i've had my sandals confused at that. i bought them for like 12 bucks, and didn't know wtf birckenstocks were until someone asked me & i looked it up.


There are people that make good money off of selling Louis Vuitton bags, but not all the bags sell that well. The only bags that sell that well are Limited Edition bags. For example the Gold Suhali bag was a very limited edition bag, made in 2002, only about 100 of them were made worldwide. It was retailed at $3500. Now if you want to buy it its going to cost you alot more b/c its impossible to get them in the stores. You can see here that this bag is USED and its sold at above the retail value (retail value was $3500, the bag is sold at over $4600 dollars) http://cgi.ebay.com/Auth-Louis-Vuit...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
Now, Louis Vuitton also makes their traditional monogram canvas bags ever year. For example the monogram speedy 25 was $495 dollars four years ago, but its now retailed at almost $700 dollars. I sold my used monogram speedy 25 that I paid $495 dollars for 4 years ago for about $495 dollars. So I didn't lose any money at all. It was a 4 year old bag that I carried around many times, but I didn't lose a penny b/c the buyer could either buy my used bag for $495 dollars or go to the store and buy the bag new for $700 dollars.
Sometimes I make a big profit, but most of the time I just sell my used bags and break even or make a little bit off of it.

The point is...you don't LOSE money when you buy nice items. I would never buy something today that will be worth 1/4 of its value next week. I am not a big fan of items with depreciating values.
 
Last edited:
Except cars. 😉

Okay true I like nice cars too, but I think its best to buy them used (like 10k-30K miles). That way you won't be losing 30% of your "investment" by just driving off the lot! :laugh:

Or better yet, just buy a average car and save up your money for a BIG mortage on a BIG house. 😉
 
Okay true I like nice cars too, but I think its best to buy them used (like 10k-30K miles). That way you won't be losing 30% of your "investment" by just driving off the lot! :laugh:

Or better yet, just buy a average car and save up your money for a BIG mortage on a BIG house. 😉

avg cars are the way to go...the nicer your car is, the more time you gotta spend on weekends taking care of it, etc. taking it to the mechanic, always maintaining it, etc.....just get a decent "average" car and you don't have to waste money & time obsessing over it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are people that make good money off of selling Louis Vuitton bags, but not all the bags sell that well. The only bags that sell that well are Limited Edition bags. For example the Gold Suhali bag was a very limited edition bag, made in 2002, only about 100 of them were made worldwide. It was retailed at $3500. Now if you want to buy it its going to cost you alot more b/c its impossible to get them in the stores. You can see here that this bag is USED and its sold at above the retail value (retail value was $3500, the bag is sold at over $4600 dollars) http://cgi.ebay.com/Auth-Louis-Vuit...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
Now, Louis Vuitton also makes their traditional monogram canvas bags ever year. For example the monogram speedy 25 was $495 dollars four years ago, but its now retailed at almost $700 dollars. I sold my used monogram speedy 25 that I paid $495 dollars for 4 years ago for about $495 dollars. So I didn't lose any money at all. It was a 4 year old bag that I carried around many times, but I didn't lose a penny b/c the buyer could either buy my used bag for $495 dollars or go to the store and buy the bag new for $700 dollars.
Sometimes I make a big profit, but most of the time I just sell my used bags and break even or make a little bit off of it.

The point is...you don't LOSE money when you buy nice items. I would never buy something today that will be worth 1/4 of its value next week. I am not a big fan of items with depreciating values.

i guess that makes sense...but when it comes to apparel, i don't really care if it loses 3/4 of its value later on....as long as i like it and want to keep it for a while & will actually wear it...who cares how much it re-sells for...

i guess it's a different story when you're talking about accessories costing half a grand and you only use it like a dozen times :scared:
 
do yo u want nicer clothes or t-shirts?

try H&M, express, or macy's

for t-shirts, i buy more underground brands off of digitalgravel.com and karmaloop.com

Forever 21...!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 👍 😍 😍 😍
 
SHC1984... That is so true about clearance... they always run out of x-small sizes. This is another topic that I don't even want to get started on. Clothes! lol Do you have a hard time finding clothes that fit?

I got called about 4 days before my interviews last year and I felt like an idiot because I couldn't find a suit that fit me. Not even remotely. The only adult clothing store in the mall that fits me well is Guess and Armani Exchange because they use European pant sizes (23, 24, etc). I like those stores, but they don't have much to offer in suits. I tried Ann Taylor loft petite and that didn't work either. I LOVE Bebe also, but the only suit they had was a bright white skirt suit with a bunch of gold and bamboo on it and that was NOT my idea of standing out. lol I ended up wearing a pencil skirt and button up collared white shirt from Cache'. I felt like a big loser. haha

I actually bought a suit for this year at The Limited but it's still a little big. I hoped I would grow a bit but it doesn't seem to be working. = ( It's always a mission for me. I'm barely 5'2" and I wear a size 12-14 at the children's Abercrombie (which I refuse to shop at) so basically I'm screwed.

On top of all this... I'm 22 years old and I look 16. I work in a sports bar that is 21+ at all times and some creepy old men actually asked me how old I was the other day. I told them my real age and they said "Oh nevermind you are too old for us... we thought you were like 16 or 17." Gross.

I'm thinking about wearing fake Sarah Palin librarian glasses to my interview. Maybe that will help me look older. haha

As far as the cars and houses go... it seems like it's always a toss up between a big house or flashy car. Some people say if you drive a car that is more expensive than your house than you have something to prove... and other people say that they don't care much about big homes, but they enjoy driving nice cars. Personally... I think I'd be happy living in a very nice condo or townhome and driving a semi-nice car that I can replace every couple years. I like to go out to eat A LOT and travel so I think I'd probably spend my money on that. When I was younger I dreamt of owning a huge beautiful home, but I don't really want kids (maybe adopt one) and I'm more about experiencing new things so I'd like to spend my money on hobbies and traveling. It's nice that we all have different preferences... makes the world more interesting. lol

Honestly... this might sound kind of weird... but I have a fascination with bengal cats, and I've always wanted to breed cats as a hobby. I rescued two of them from my boyfriend's boss who had them locked up in his garage and I've been in love ever since. They act like dogs but they look like little cheetahs! They play fetch, come when you call them, and they even like water. It's so weird.