Cheap Nice Clothes for Pharmacy Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My wife always complains about being the most popular size in whatever she wears (I guess 4/5? Small in most stuff, like at Macy's we bought her this Guess outfit, a halter cardigan and a white crinkly shirt, and they only had one S left, but lots of XS, XXS, M, and L). 4/5 in pants/skirts, she says, is always gone unless she shops in the kids' section, but then there's never anything she likes, she she likes cardigans and "menswear" type things.

Poor trials you gals go through to get your cute stuff.
 
On another note... I hope I never become single while in pharmacy school because the statistics sure don't look promising!!! :meanie:

Seriously though... I actually really don't mind being alone because I'm so busy all the time, but being in a relationship does have it's benefits like you said Passion4Sci. I might as well be married, but it doesn't bother me because it's a very stable lifestyle and it keeps me out of trouble = )
 
On another note... I hope I never become single while in pharmacy school because the statistics sure don't look promising!!! :meanie:

Seriously though... I actually really don't mind being alone because I'm so busy all the time, but being in a relationship does have it's benefits like you said Passion4Sci. I might as well be married, but it doesn't bother me because it's a very stable lifestyle and it keeps me out of trouble = )

The actual "marriage" thing is overrated, IMO. It's an out-dated convention and no longer necessary, if you ask me. BUT, since we were in the military, the ONLY way for us to not get separated completely across country (for when we weren't deployed, as obviously we're separated during deployment) was to be married. So we went out of order, but it ended up working great!

But, if you aren't in those circumstances then no sense in getting married. Yea, there are some tax breaks, but besides that, unless it's for a religious reason I just can't see the need to get married. So, kudos to you and your boyfriend for not feeling that stupid societal pressure that you have to get married. Do you want to have kids? If not, get ready for some serious back lash for that, too. Tara always complains that everyone gives her the devil eye for not wanting children. Like she's violating some written law that says everyone on planet Earth must conceive and she's a sub-human being for not.

Thus goes sociology...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The actual "marriage" thing is overrated, IMO. It's an out-dated convention and no longer necessary, if you ask me. BUT, since we were in the military, the ONLY way for us to not get separated completely across country (for when we weren't deployed, as obviously we're separated during deployment) was to be married. So we went out of order, but it ended up working great!

But, if you aren't in those circumstances then no sense in getting married. Yea, there are some tax breaks, but besides that, unless it's for a religious reason I just can't see the need to get married. So, kudos to you and your boyfriend for not feeling that stupid societal pressure that you have to get married. Do you want to have kids? If not, get ready for some serious back lash for that, too. Tara always complains that everyone gives her the devil eye for not wanting children. Like she's violating some written law that says everyone on planet Earth must conceive and she's a sub-human being for not.

Thus goes sociology...

Well, it is her biological purpose on this earth to conceive! 😛 However, I totally understand her view points. I myself, look forward to marriage and children. I'm hoping to get married before I start school therefore, the pressure I have of being a student will be "shared" with my husband. I have friends that have gone through pharm/med programs who have all at some point or nothing wished they were in a relationship or married it just makes stress a little easier to handle-in my perspective. But, that also goes without saying if you're in a good relationship... bad ones can totally ruin any program you're in! :laugh:
 
SHC1984... That is so true about clearance... they always run out of x-small sizes. This is another topic that I don't even want to get started on. Clothes! lol Do you have a hard time finding clothes that fit?

I got called about 4 days before my interviews last year and I felt like an idiot because I couldn't find a suit that fit me. Not even remotely. The only adult clothing store in the mall that fits me well is Guess and Armani Exchange because they use European pant sizes (23, 24, etc). I like those stores, but they don't have much to offer in suits. I tried Ann Taylor loft petite and that didn't work either. I LOVE Bebe also, but the only suit they had was a bright white skirt suit with a bunch of gold and bamboo on it and that was NOT my idea of standing out. lol I ended up wearing a pencil skirt and button up collared white shirt from Cache'. I felt like a big loser. haha

I actually bought a suit for this year at The Limited but it's still a little big. I hoped I would grow a bit but it doesn't seem to be working. = ( It's always a mission for me. I'm barely 5'2" and I wear a size 12-14 at the children's Abercrombie (which I refuse to shop at) so basically I'm screwed.

On top of all this... I'm 22 years old and I look 16. I work in a sports bar that is 21+ at all times and some creepy old men actually asked me how old I was the other day. I told them my real age and they said "Oh nevermind you are too old for us... we thought you were like 16 or 17." Gross.

I'm thinking about wearing fake Sarah Palin librarian glasses to my interview. Maybe that will help me look older. haha

As far as the cars and houses go... it seems like it's always a toss up between a big house or flashy car. Some people say if you drive a car that is more expensive than your house than you have something to prove... and other people say that they don't care much about big homes, but they enjoy driving nice cars. Personally... I think I'd be happy living in a very nice condo or townhome and driving a semi-nice car that I can replace every couple years. I like to go out to eat A LOT and travel so I think I'd probably spend my money on that. When I was younger I dreamt of owning a huge beautiful home, but I don't really want kids (maybe adopt one) and I'm more about experiencing new things so I'd like to spend my money on hobbies and traveling. It's nice that we all have different preferences... makes the world more interesting. lol

Honestly... this might sound kind of weird... but I have a fascination with bengal cats, and I've always wanted to breed cats as a hobby. I rescued two of them from my boyfriend's boss who had them locked up in his garage and I've been in love ever since. They act like dogs but they look like little cheetahs! They play fetch, come when you call them, and they even like water. It's so weird.

I KNOW!!!!! I LOVE shopping at the clearance sections of Bebe and Arden B, but both of those stores ALWAYS run out of x-small! 🙁 Bebe came out with xxsmall, but those will only be available on full price. I guess if you want to shop clearance you will have to gain 50 pounds! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

If I buy things full price I can find things that fit me b/c I am not petite like most Asians. I am 5'7 so I am just as tall as most American women. I can fit a 25 or 26 in Bebe or a 00 in Abercrombie, so I am regular size. But I understand what you mean though b/c I have a friend thats very petite and she has a hard time finding clothes that fit her in the USA. Her jeans are always sooooo LONG on her b/c she is only 5'1. Luckily I bought my interview clothes when I was in Taiwan. I go back once every three years and buy a lot of clothes from there.

I look a few years younger than my real age too. I don't know about 16, but I can go for 20. Thats a GOOD thing. I hope I look 30 when I am 40! :laugh::laugh::laugh: I still get carded when I buy acohol...I think thats so crazy b/c I am almost 25! 🙄

I LOVE traveling too! I can't imagine anyone not loving that. I am not sure if I want kids or not, still undecided, but buying a big house is a great investment. I think if you can't afford a very nice house then its crazy to buy a nice car b/c that money should be going towards your house. Same thing if you owe student debt or credit card debt then you should pay that off completely before buying anything else. I am not a big fan of paying interest, its like flushing money down the toliet. I have always been very business oriented everything I buy, I think " will I LOSE money on this purchase in the future?" if the answer is yes I try to avoid it! Another thing I hate buying is a laptop computer or any electronics! Its a huge waste of money and the battery dies so fast so the laptop is pretty much garbage after 2-3 years anyways, its a waste of 1k or 2k for sure, but its require for school unfortunately.

I LOVE animals too, I am all for and I have donated money to the humane society, peta, and other no-kill shelters and I don't eat any meat (except seafood and sometimes chicken) and I am 100% against animal abuse of any kind. However, I am just too busy right now for a pet. I love small baby golden retrievers, but taking care of them is like taking care of a baby. Pets are for people that have a TON of time on their hands.
 
The actual "marriage" thing is overrated, IMO. It's an out-dated convention and no longer necessary, if you ask me. BUT, since we were in the military, the ONLY way for us to not get separated completely across country (for when we weren't deployed, as obviously we're separated during deployment) was to be married. So we went out of order, but it ended up working great!

But, if you aren't in those circumstances then no sense in getting married. Yea, there are some tax breaks, but besides that, unless it's for a religious reason I just can't see the need to get married. So, kudos to you and your boyfriend for not feeling that stupid societal pressure that you have to get married. Do you want to have kids? If not, get ready for some serious back lash for that, too. Tara always complains that everyone gives her the devil eye for not wanting children. Like she's violating some written law that says everyone on planet Earth must conceive and she's a sub-human being for not.

Thus goes sociology...

Most guys I know prefer a variety and staying single. My best guy friend told me he knows he will eventually have to get married, but that won't be until he is at least 35+. He says he needs at least 10 years of playing the field.lol..

As for boyfriends in school, it is actually very annoying. I mean its fun to go out obviously. I would love to do that every night, but when you are in school how reasonable is that? If you have 3 exams the next day do you really have time to go out and watch a movie? I had a boyfriend when I was taking PChem in undergrad. I had a total of 18 hours and PChem itself was enough to kill me. With a boyfriend it was even harder b/c he will call me every night and schedule things for us to do during the week! I had a job at the time as well, so I was always canceling on him. It got really annoying. I mean sure, dating is fun, but its only for people with a lot of time on their hands. Too much time if you ask me! :laugh:
 
I LOVE animals too, I am all for and I have donated money to the humane society, peta, and other no-kill shelters

Anybody but peta! :scared:

I was stationed near their headquarters for a few years, and they're straight-up nuts!

Though they did make my favorite ad ever.

600_santa_not_coming.jpg
 
So I just labored over a lengthy response on my microscopic cell phone keyboard and somehow it got deleted... awesome....

Anyway... that is really horrible that everyone gives your wife a hard time... good for her for not giving in! I thought I was one of the last remaining believers in non procreative relationships!!! haha

Fortunately my parents are big believers in NOT getting married so that wipes out a lot of pressure from my family... they basically have the same philosophy as you on that issue = )

I don't want kids either... probably never will... and I'm an only child so I hope they never want grandchildren in the future. I just don't think I would be a great parent because I'm very focused on work and I hate being home a lot.

RajipD - I'm glad that not ALL of the intelligent career women have decided not to have kids because then we might be in trouble in the future = )
 
I always keep my posts short on my iPhone for that very reason, LOL. Chances are, if my post is really abbreviated it's because I'm not at home.

I know my parents want grandkids, and since my sister is a worthless meth-head, she probably won't be getting any at all, at least none to be proud of anyway. I know Tara's mom, too, wants g-kids, but at least my wife is not an only child, so she's got some hope for the son.

That is a large part of it - Not liking to be home and being very focused on career/life outside the home. I personally do not think it's right to have your kid cooped up in day care being raised by strangers all day until s/he is old enough to go to school, then just tossed into school (even a good private one) while the parents are busy working 60 hour weeks. Ideologically, that's a nightmare to me, one I lived, and I'd never, ever want to impose that existence on another human being. We also like expensive cars, vacations without having to plan around anything else (easy to kennel dogs, not so easy to kennel kids) and such.

And don't worry about world population, Tinker, I DOUBT that'll EVER be a problem short of a catastrophe like the 2012 alignment of doom or whatever.



So I just labored over a lengthy response on my microscopic cell phone keyboard and somehow it got deleted... awesome....

Anyway... that is really horrible that everyone gives your wife a hard time... good for her for not giving in! I thought I was one of the last remaining believers in non procreative relationships!!! haha

Fortunately my parents are big believers in NOT getting married so that wipes out a lot of pressure from my family... they basically have the same philosophy as you on that issue = )

I don't want kids either... probably never will... and I'm an only child so I hope they never want grandchildren in the future. I just don't think I would be a great parent because I'm very focused on work and I hate being home a lot.

RajipD - I'm glad that not ALL of the intelligent career women have decided not to have kids because then we might be in trouble in the future = )
 
I know exactly how your friend must feel! I'm half Spanish (like... Spain lol) so my mom is barely 5' and unfortunately I didn't inherit my dad's height. 🙁
There were two Asian girls that were probably a bit smaller than me at one of my interviews and I was dying to ask where they got their suits from because they fit really well. You are lucky you can travel overseas and pick up some clothes while you're there! I haven't been out of the country since 2000 = (

I'm def. more into houses than cars too... Looking at real estate is a hobby of mine... I want to just start with a condo at first because I see all the hassle my parents have to go through with maintenance and everything on a free standing house and I'm not ready for that responsibility yet. Once I'm settled down and I can afford a landscaper and someone to come help clean and repair any plumbing or electric if anything breaks then I'll probably want a home. I want to keep my bills relatively small so I have more disposable income to save or enjoy. I found a 600 dollar one month electric bill at my moms house and it scared me. lol

Laptops are so frustrating because they always break (well mine do). I need them for school also so I have no choice though. = (

I can't wait until I move to FTL next week because I want to find a shelter to volunteer at. I found a baby kitten today in my parking lot and I couldn't catch it!!! I'm going to keep looking for it though because I would hate it leave it out there.
 
I feel the same way about dating in college myself. Way too time consuming. I sort of fell into a relationship unintentionally, but my boyfriend is a little older than me and had PLENTY of variety when he was in the Coast Guard. lol His parent's signed him away when he was 17 and he was stationed all over the place. We've been together for about 2.5 years now, but before we met we were both party animals. haha I think now it's more of a relief to have something stable and to be responsible.

I think it's different if you live with the other person because you don't feel obligated to make plans or feel bad about not meeting up with them. lol

Pets are time consuming though! I could never own a dog right now, but cats are pretty self sufficient so it's okay I guess.
 
I know exactly how your friend must feel! I'm half Spanish (like... Spain lol) so my mom is barely 5' and unfortunately I didn't inherit my dad's height. 🙁
There were two Asian girls that were probably a bit smaller than me at one of my interviews and I was dying to ask where they got their suits from because they fit really well. You are lucky you can travel overseas and pick up some clothes while you're there! I haven't been out of the country since 2000 = (

I'm def. more into houses than cars too... Looking at real estate is a hobby of mine... I want to just start with a condo at first because I see all the hassle my parents have to go through with maintenance and everything on a free standing house and I'm not ready for that responsibility yet. Once I'm settled down and I can afford a landscaper and someone to come help clean and repair any plumbing or electric if anything breaks then I'll probably want a home. I want to keep my bills relatively small so I have more disposable income to save or enjoy. I found a 600 dollar one month electric bill at my moms house and it scared me. lol

Laptops are so frustrating because they always break (well mine do). I need them for school also so I have no choice though. = (

I can't wait until I move to FTL next week because I want to find a shelter to volunteer at. I found a baby kitten today in my parking lot and I couldn't catch it!!! I'm going to keep looking for it though because I would hate it leave it out there.

I didn't know spanish women were short, cool. Asian women are definetly short for the most part. My mom was 5'3 and my dad was 6'1. He is the tallest Asian guy in the history of Asians I am sure! :laugh: Shopping in Taiwan makes me feel fat though b/c I am a medium back at home! 😱 I am a xsmall and 25 at Bebe, but a medium in Taiwan. Their pants goes down to 22. A 25 is consider a medium!!! 🙁 Oh well...🙄 I only get to travel there a lot b/c I have relatives there...so I only need to pay for the plane ticket, my relatives pay for everything else. 😀

Yeah big houses does cost a lot to maintain, thats why I am planning on living in an apartment until all my student loans are paid off. I took 20K this year for pharmacy school. I am expecting btw 80k-100k when I graduate from pharmacy school...so after that entire amount is completely paid off I will consider buying a house. The COOLEST hobby to have is to buy regular looking houses at decent prices and fixing it up and making it into gorgeous houses and then resellling it for 25% more or something like that. If I get tire of pharmacy that will be what I want to do. It will be sooooo fun, more fun than work for sure.

I had one laptop break on me b/c I splited coffee on it! :laugh: But most of the other laptops I had just have really crappy battery life. For example, the one I am using now is only ONE year old and its battery life is 1 hour and 15 minutes! It use to be 3 hours! what the hell happened?? Its going to be trash next year I am sure. What a waste of 1k. 🙄

I never lived with a boyfriend before. I am a very liberal and open person, but I don't think I will ever live with a guy until he is my husband. If he wants me as a housewife and want all the benefits of being married then he will have to marry me. Just like you can't live in a house before you buy it, you can't use me as your housewife until we are married. :laugh: Most of my relationships last about 3-4 months. I had plenty, but they don't last long. I LOVE being single now b/c I just started school and I love the fact that I don't have to worry about anyone but ME. If I need to study, I will study, I don't need to hear anyone whine about me not going out with him. But I guess the only drawback is my AGE. I will be almost 29 when I graduate. Let just hope I don't look my age later on! :scared:
 
Last edited:
He is my housewife. lol KIDDING. In general though, he is way cleaner than I am (military) so I have to admit that I don't do much cleaning. Cooking is a huge hobby of mine so I guess that makes up for it. He's studying computer science and works in the tropical fish industry so he's home way more than I am. 👎

Yeah some spanish people are pretty short... mostly relative to Americans anyway. lol I've spilled coffee on my laptop too! Luckily I soaked it up before anything broke, but apparently it happens more than we think! I don't know why my laptops always break, but I guess I just don't take great care of them. I had an IBM Think Pad that needed a new video card (apparently?) My dad is a computer programmer so he gets good deals on computer stuff so I just give my broken ones back to him. I have replacement batteries that you can switch out if the old batteries go bad, but sometimes the computer just doesn't charge up all the way when it gets older I think. When I was at UM we had some professors that prefered for us to bring our computers to class because they based their notes around a powerpoint presentation that we could download, so I started to become a really annoying nerd who would come to class early and push through everyone with my plug in my hand to get near an outlet. The newer classrooms had outlets on each desk that popped up so that was less embarassing.
 
Oh yeah and I doubt that you will look old! I believe in sunscreen! I wear spf 15 everyday... but I do admit that I don't exactly hide from the sun either. I hate being pale but oh well... I think wrinkles are less fun... even though I'm going to get them eventually (hopefully in my 40's or 50's). Wishful thinking I'm sure.
 
He is my housewife. .

Thats a great deal you have there then! 😉

Mercer Pharmacy has a plug by each seat which I am sooooo happy about! I think its new b/c on the syllabus the teacher stress that we must have at least a 3 hour battery life! But I am glad they finally decided to put a plug by each seat. My computer will last 1.5 hour max. Every laptop computer I have ever own has been a Sony. Maybe I should try a Mac next time....which pharmacy school are you at? Nova? UF?

I wear SPF 15 everyday too. I just started wearing eye cream too. Its never too early to start protecting your skin against sun damage and wrinkles. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah you are at Mercer??? I am thinking about making California and Mercer my two out of state applications. Mercer is in Atlanta right? My dad used to work for Verisign in Savannah and I loved it up there. The people seem to be much nicer than down here = )

Unfortunately I am not yet in pharmacy school... I just go to Nova for my master's right now. I just finished my application for UF this week though = ) I'm still waiting for my 3rd LOR for Nova though. PBA wants 3 also, and so does LECOM I think, but they have later due dates so I'm not worried about that just yet. If UF invites me for an interview I want to apply early so I can hopefully go to the one on Martin Luther King weekend because I will already be in the area (Orlando) for college nationals. Orlando is within 1-2 hours of St Pete, Gainesville, and obviously the Orlando campus. lol If they want me at Jacksonville that is a little farter, but not bad. I'll just be happy if they calllll.

Everyone I know loves MAC, but I can't seem to switch from a PC. I think it's just about what you are used to.
 
Ah you are at Mercer??? I am thinking about making California and Mercer my two out of state applications. Mercer is in Atlanta right? My dad used to work for Verisign in Savannah and I loved it up there. The people seem to be much nicer than down here = )

Unfortunately I am not yet in pharmacy school... I just go to Nova for my master's right now. I just finished my application for UF this week though = ) I'm still waiting for my 3rd LOR for Nova though. PBA wants 3 also, and so does LECOM I think, but they have later due dates so I'm not worried about that just yet. If UF invites me for an interview I want to apply early so I can hopefully go to the one on Martin Luther King weekend because I will already be in the area (Orlando) for college nationals. Orlando is within 1-2 hours of St Pete, Gainesville, and obviously the Orlando campus. lol If they want me at Jacksonville that is a little farter, but not bad. I'll just be happy if they calllll.

Everyone I know loves MAC, but I can't seem to switch from a PC. I think it's just about what you are used to.

Mercer is great. First week has been cake, but its going to get a lot worst I am sure. LOL... The people in Savannah are very friendly. In Atlanta people are less friendly b/c its a bigger city. Its a nice city but the traffic sucks. If you get into UF definetly go there cuz its in state. Nova is great too, I been there once and LOVE their campus. Its hard to not love anything thats 3 miles away from the beach! :laugh:

I almost bought the air MAC. Trust me you will want something light, so it won't break your arm off when you have to carry it all day on campus. However, I don't want to take the time to figure out how to use a MAC. I heard its very hard to use, so I choose Sony. I wish they came out with an Air Sony. Something under 3lbs are always good.

Oh and definetly apply to UCSF, you never know, and San Franciso is the prettiest city in the USA.
 
my wife's Vaio weighs 3.2 lbs, a whopping 2 ounces more than the MacBook Air and was $900 less. And it came in "shocking teal" and "Pretty Pink."


Mercer is great. First week has been cake, but its going to get a lot worst I am sure. LOL... The people in Savannah are very friendly. In Atlanta people are less friendly b/c its a bigger city. Its a nice city but the traffic sucks. If you get into UF definetly go there cuz its in state. Nova is great too, I been there once and LOVE their campus. Its hard to not love anything thats 3 miles away from the beach! :laugh:

I almost bought the air MAC. Trust me you will want something light, so it won't break your arm off when you have to carry it all day on campus. However, I don't want to take the time to figure out how to use a MAC. I heard its very hard to use, so I choose Sony. I wish they came out with an Air Sony. Something under 3lbs are always good.

Oh and definetly apply to UCSF, you never know, and San Franciso is the prettiest city in the USA.
 
Okay okay I'm usually pretty obsessive about proofreading because I know how brutal you guys are 😉

But hey... I've been working until 3am and waking up at 7am for class so I'm exhausted and delirious at all hours = )

Nova does has a really nice campus because it's so frickin' new! UM seems ancient in retrospect... but I still kinda miss it. Good memories. I think my favorite part of Nova is the gigantic reef tank and the Guy Harvey mural in the athletic center. lol

The MAC is hard to get used to. My old roommate had one and I tried to use it sometimes. My Toshiba is pretty light compared to the ThinkPad. The Think Pad was like 12 pounds I believe. It was horrible. I don't know why because I got it brand new in 2005 so it's not like it was a complete dinosaur. It was the fastest computer I've ever used though = (