cheap tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doh1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I am a non-trad applicant who has recently been accepted and I have a few questions about tuition.
What is considered cheap tuition?
I ask this because the majority of programs that I've seen vary in the sense that some are 40k and others are 50k. Obviously 50k is ridiculous (in my opinion) unless your attending an accelerated program. From what I've seen other schools have tuitions much lower but only for in-state applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools in Texas are 20k a year, so I'd say that's pretty cheap

Reactions: 1 user
That’s the golden question for healthcare professional programs:

What I use to define cheap tuition (very loosely) is any tuition within a 25% cap of the in-state rate (adjust for cost of living) within said state.

However, these days if you can graduate as close to 100k or lower in debt your doing good (compared to the overall national avg.) if you get closer to 200k than 100k.... there’s nothing cheap about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"Cheap" is also relative. Generally you will have cheap tuition if you are either attending your instate program, or if you somehow hit the jackpot and received a substantial scholarship with your acceptance at any other program. Otherwise, any program out of state is going to cost you. Generally, out of state public schools are slightly cheaper than private schools, which are the most expensive.

"Cheap" is also relative. Generally you will have cheap tuition if you are either attending your instate program, or if you somehow hit the jackpot and received a substantial scholarship with your acceptance at any other program. Otherwise, any program out of state is going to cost you. Generally, out of state public schools are slightly cheaper than private schools, which are the most expensive.

My thoughts exactly.
All the cheaper programs tuition cost that I have been seeing is for instate applicants and dramatically rises for out of state applicants. I live in MA so I don't have a lot of options mainly due to the fact that there are only expensive programs here where I live.

I've been trying to find cheaper programs for Fall 2019 that maybe I overlooked but its been difficult. I've been accepted to a couple 40k per year programs but I've been searching for cheaper options.

Many schools in Texas are 20k a year, so I'd say that's pretty cheap

that's only for in state applicants though

Last edited:
Look into whether you can get in-state tuition after a year