Cheaper school vs more enjoyable school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waitingame

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright well right now I am accepted at Kentucky and am 10th on the waitlist at Ohio State. I am an Ohio resident so it would be around 75k cheaper over the four years. I believe that I will end up getting off the waitlist at some point before school starts. However I think I might have a better experience at Kentucky than at Ohio State. Also I grew up and am currently working in columbus and think it would be nice to experience a new environment for school. But obviously I do not know where I would enjoy more and the money keeps coming up and 75K is a lot of money.

Anyway I need some help deciding what is the best option. As I am not yet accepted I will need to secure a place to live pretty soon since Kentucky starts the first week of August. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

it really depends on whether or not you want to spend the extra money and what your financial situation is.... I personally would go to the school that I would have the better experience at because then I knew that I made my decision based on what I wanted rather than a money decision... but thats just me

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont have the option yet but at the same time I want to already have made the decision if the opportunity does arise.

actually i was in the same position and got into a more expensive school first...had made up my mind that even if i got accepted to the cheaper school i wasn't going to go there because i didn't like it...then got accepted to the cheaper school

i debated and debated but stuck with my original decision-to go to the school I always wanted to.

At the moment you do not have an option.

Spot on. I always tell people it's better to not plan ahead so they know what they would do if a certain situation should present itself. It's always good to be ill-prepared for those decisions and be forced to make them on the fly.

God forbid anyone prepares ahead

Some might call it being presumptuous.

Spot on. I always tell people it's better to not plan ahead so they know what they would do if a certain situation should present itself. It's always good to be ill-prepared for those decisions and be forced to make them on the fly.

Good advice. Some decisions you need to make on your own and if the input from sdn will influence the decision on which school to choose then it is time to look for a consult with an orthopedic surgeon to insert some rods to stiffen up the spinal column.

Last edited:
Good advice. Some decisions you need to make on your own and if the input from sdn will influence the decision on which school to apply and which one to choose then it is time to look for a consult with an orthopedic surgeon to insert some rods to stiffen up the spinal column.

Exactly! As you said, any pre-dental student who consults an pre-dental online community for advice and input regarding their dental education is clearly a buffoon! These decisions should be made wholly on gut feeling, without consulting anyone else who may have been, or is currently in, a similar situation!

Exactly! As you said, any pre-dental student who consults an pre-dental online community for advice and input regarding their dental education is clearly a buffoon! These decisions should be made wholly on gut feeling, without consulting anyone else who may have been, or is currently in, a similar situation!

LOL

Judges?... Gotta give it to supertank on this one

Members don't see this ad :)

It's not like sarcasm is your forte. Or is it?

Last edited:
To get away from the sarcasm (although I like it), I would definitely pick the school you would enjoy more. DS is going to be hell anyway, and you should try to go where makes you more comfortable and happy. This will cause you less stress throughout the years. However, if finances are a problem, obviously go for OSU (if you get in).

How can any of us tell YOU whats best for your future? Think of dental school like a job training that lasts 4 years. Do you want to be job trained for X amount of $$$ or X+75k ? only you can answer that

DS is going to be hell anyway, and you should try to go where makes you more comfortable and happy.

This line of thinking makes no sense. If dental school is going to be hell anyway, you might as well go wherever is the cheapest (Since either place he goes will be hellish).

I say go with the cheap one. Spend the 80k on a house or a portion of your own practice, or a CEREC, etc...

Is there really a big difference in experience between Ohio State and Kentucky? I've been through Ohio quite a bit, and parts of Kentucky, but not as much, and I can't imagine that the change would be worth it.

I'm one that was asking the same question. I had interviews at UF, where I went for undergrad, and grew up 45 minutes away, and NYU. And I was dreading getting into UF since I'd prolly end up staying here cuz it would be ridiculously that much cheaper. But I wanted to go NYU. But the change between North-Central Florida and New York is really huge. Somewhat gladly, the decision was made for me when UF rejected me and NYU accepted me.

Though I understand you've been in Columbus all yer life, and no matter where you go, you just want change. But I would think Kentucky wouldn't bring that much change, especially when you consider the extra 75k that you'd have to pay. After a couple of months, you get used to Kentucky, and I'd think you would see that it's the same lifestyle that you have in Columbus. No matter where you go, yer gonna have a new circle of friends, so maybe that'd be enough? Just my opinion. Good luck!

I say go with the cheap one. Spend the 80k on a house or a portion of your own practice, or a CEREC, etc...

Everyone always says go to the cheaper school and spend that $XX,000 dollars on a house, car, practice.... It's not like you get done with school and have $XX,000 sitting around burning a hole in your pocket. It's completely relative to each school one attends and students only get what they need in financial Aid. Now if you are just loaded and actually have $XX,000 sitting around, then i guess this would apply. But like most of us, we are poor getting out of school and $250,000 doesn't seem much different than $330,000 when we first start working in the "real-world". It's more a matter of how much more in a hole are we? I"m not bashing, I just see a lot of people say that.
On a similar note, people say going to UoP is so much better because you can get out into the working world and make money a year before everyone else... EVeryone else? I didn't know it was a race, They are not out before everyone else, their in the boat as the other graduating from a 4 year at the same time. I will be 30 when i graduate, i guess i can say I lost the race since many people around 26 are already graduating and making money before me. whew..

Everyone always says go to the cheaper school and spend that $XX,000 dollars on a house, car, practice.... It's not like you get done with school and have $XX,000 sitting around burning a hole in your pocket. It's completely relative to each school one attends and students only get what they need in financial Aid. Now if you are just loaded and actually have $XX,000 sitting around, then i guess this would apply. But like most of us, we are poor getting out of school and $250,000 doesn't seem much different than $330,000 when we first start working in the "real-world". It's more a matter of how much more in a hole are we? I"m not bashing, I just see a lot of people say that.
On a similar note, people say going to UoP is so much better because you can get out into the working world and make money a year before everyone else... EVeryone else? I didn't know it was a race, They are not out before everyone else, their in the boat as the other graduating from a 4 year at the same time. I will be 30 when i graduate, i guess i can say I lost the race since many people around 26 are already graduating and making money before me. whew..

You're right, it's not a race. But financially speaking, it is more lucrative to enter the work field a year earlier than your colleagues, assuming the education was of similar cost and quality. Spending three years in school instead of four would add an extra year to your time in practice, and an extra year of income.

Also, it's easy to say "what's another $90,000? It doesn't really matter how far in debt I am, I'll be in a ton of debt anyway." That doesn't seem like very sound logic to me. How many people say when buying a house "I could get a house that suits my needs for $250,000, but I might as well go for one that's $330,000 because it's a ton of money either way." Where does this sort of thinking lead? Well, how many foreclosed properties are there in your area? Besides that, a $90,000 difference in the cost of education will translate to almost TWO YEARS of extra loan repayment, at about $4,000 a month. It's not what you could do with that extra money now, but what you could do in 10 years with an extra 4 grand a month over a period of two years.

You're right, it's not a race. But financially speaking, it is more lucrative to enter the work field a year earlier than your colleagues, assuming the education was of similar cost and quality. Spending three years in school instead of four would add an extra year to your time in practice, and an extra year of income.

Also, it's easy to say "what's another $90,000? It doesn't really matter how far in debt I am, I'll be in a ton of debt anyway." That doesn't seem like very sound logic to me. How many people say when buying a house "I could get a house that suits my needs for $250,000, but I might as well go for one that's $330,000 because it's a ton of money either way." Where does this sort of thinking lead? Well, how many foreclosed properties are there in your area? Besides that, a $90,000 difference in the cost of education will translate to almost TWO YEARS of extra loan repayment, at about $4,000 a month. It's not what you could do with that extra money now, but what you could do in 10 years with an extra 4 grand a month over a period of two years.

I think it's crucial to understand that to some, money isn't everything. You can do all sorts of mathematics and speculating to back up your argument, but, before you even start, know that some people will pick less expensive schools and some will not. I cannot understand why some here are so dogmatic to their claims...

...I'm all for sharing opinion but I wish people would please try to refrain from declaring them as the 'right decision'.

Deciding what school to attend comes down to many things which is different as each person. The financial aspect can be a significant point of consideration, but it doesn't have to be paramount.

Dental school isn't going to be enjoyable, especially the first two years. I don't think that is what you meant anyway. It is a tough decision but I'd probably base my decision on the school, the students, the faculty, the education and even the town where you will be spending the next four years...and not the money. Worry about the money afterwards.

I agree 90,000 is a LOT of money. most people take three years to earn that in gross income. I just often percieve people stating that money isn't all that, but then the only positive thing they say about a 3 year program is that you are out and making money earlier than people who started at the same time. Just remember that all the student starting out in their 30s and 40s aren't necessarily doing it for the money, rather they realize this is something they want to do now after years doing things they don't enjoy as much. The end result of practicing dentistry is what the real goal is.

To the OP, go with your gut. OR think of it this way.. Which school wanted you bad enough that they chose you first? Kentucky obviously thought you would be a good fit for their school so they picked you! Ohio State may be cheaper, but it's not a given, and your goal is to be a dentist right? Well.. it's in the bag as of right now. If you were rejected from Ohio State, you would choose Kentucky in a heart beat...

Dental school isn't going to be enjoyable, especially the first two years. I don't think that is what you meant anyway. It is a tough decision but I'd probably base my decision on the school, the students, the faculty, the education and even the town where you will be spending the next four years...and not the money. Worry about the money afterwards.
Why isn't it going to be enjoyable?:confused:

This is something I've been considering as well. I don't want $300K in debt, and I've heard the cheapest school is the best option. But I also know that environment is really important, especially after spending 4 years in an undergrad that didn't really fit me. I've done well, so I won't crumble if I'm in the wrong environment, but I know I'll be much happier and much more successful at the right place. I don't want a repeat of undergrad, especially since dental school is going to be tougher and more challenging. For me, I can't say anything definite. It really depends, and I don't know what things you value or how those two schools compares.

This is something I've been considering as well. I don't want $300K in debt, and I've heard the cheapest school is the best option. But I also know that environment is really important, especially after spending 4 years in an undergrad that didn't really fit me. I've done well, so I won't crumble if I'm in the wrong environment, but I know I'll be much happier and much more successful at the right place. I don't want a repeat of undergrad, especially since dental school is going to be tougher and more challenging. For me, I can't say anything definite. It really depends, and I don't know what things you value or how those two schools compares.

Go where you will enjoy. If money is not a facotr, spend the money. It will be an investment. That's 4 whole years of your entire life. You enjoy yourself, you'll perform better, and it will pay off in the end.

Okay, take me seriously here.
To address those intially stated that "anybody who consults fellow SDN members about THEIR future is spineless," do you consult your friends about life decisions? I don't see a huge difference between that and SDN questions. It's not like the orginal poster is going to take one paragraph from someone and base their entire dental education on it. It was a simple question!
In my opinion, I would say that through the life of a dentist, 75k really isnt the be-all or end-all. With this said, if you honestly feel that over four years in Dental school you would be 75k happier at Kentucky, who's to tell you not to do what truly makes you happy!? Dental school is rough I'm sure, so in the end you want to go to the place that minimized that as much as possible and allows you to create memories that will last a lifetime for you!
:] good luck!