cheapest way anyone bought their books--Rosai, Sternberg etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovepath

Y
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just checking what was the cheapest way anyone bought their books--Rosai, Sternberg etc. My idea was to use those 40% off coupons borders gives on on line purchases, but didn't know if amazon or anything was cheaper--any input appreciated!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone tried the borders 40% coupon, didn't know if they would exclude 400$ books. It would be good if it works.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the past you were able to use 30% Barnes and Noble coupons on textbooks- I got the new Enzinger and Weiss and Fletcher that way- Unfortunately, they have gotten wise and they won't accept them on textbooks anymore- They did just accept it for a board review book though probably because it wasn't classified as a textbook-
I don't have any experience with Borders- It never hurts to try

regardless of anything, I would definitely checkout the Mod. Surgical Path...

The new edition just came out and I got it for pretty cheap using a 10% off coupon.

Suster is one of the best around

At my residency program we contact the sales rep for one of the big publishers (Elsevier, Lippincott, etc.) every year and invite him to come to the hospital for a book fair. The sales reps are usually more than willing to come and offer a 20% discount with a donation of a text to to our resident library for the chance to sell so many books at one fell swoop.

It's a pretty good deal for the residents and allows us to keep our resident library updated. I would think that residency programs around the country could swing such deals.

Has anyone seen online 40% coupons around lately? Most I can find is 25%. Also, there's a Borders Rewards promo for July where you get $5 per $50 spent instead of the usually $5 per $150. It's not much, but it adds up quickly with path texts.

40 comes by once every few months, I just want to make sure all the stipulations are right, like its applicable to online purchases, as they won't have a sternberg in one of their stores. Or maybe you can order and use the coupon in the store--they always change stipulations, I just got my fingers crossed that they'll work on path books, as 40 is an awesome chunk

At my residency program we contact the sales rep for one of the big publishers (Elsevier, Lippincott, etc.) every year and invite him to come to the hospital for a book fair. The sales reps are usually more than willing to come and offer a 20% discount with a donation of a text to to our resident library for the chance to sell so many books at one fell swoop.

It's a pretty good deal for the residents and allows us to keep our resident library updated. I would think that residency programs around the country could swing such deals.

We just had this and the books were still cheaper on Amazon.

So to sum it up for ppl like me who don't have money to spend:
Amazon is a sure bet (unsure if there are comparable sites that go cheaper)
The Borders 40% would be good if we can verify it can work w/o them giving you trouble b/c it's a special order/textbook.

Despite all the discounts, I still often find the cheapest prices on amazon. Personally, I am cautious about buying "used" books online because I am never sure which edition I would get. But that's just me.

The cheapest way is to use your residency book fund. That way they are free.

Or if you are employed most academic departments give their faculty a slush fund for books.

Or if you are a fat cat private practice pathologist pulling over 200K a few thousand on books is nothing.

still slush can be applied to cheap venues like amazon and borders right?

Despite all the discounts, I still often find the cheapest prices on amazon. Personally, I am cautious about buying "used" books online because I am never sure which edition I would get. But that's just me.

Bought a few books this way. Saved quite a bit. Been quite pleased.

still slush can be applied to cheap venues like amazon and borders right?

You *might* find that your department has an official vendor or wholesaler that you are required to order from.

The cheapest way is to use your residency book fund. That way they are free.

Or if you are employed most academic departments give their faculty a slush fund for books.

Or if you are a fat cat private practice pathologist pulling over 200K a few thousand on books is nothing.

Thanks for the enlightening post. I'm surprised I got by without that knowledge before. I'll be forever indebted to you.

As far as I can tell the 25% borders work on path books but not 40%, and when I compared to amazon, it seemed borders was a little bit better. I don't know if I went on amazon during a bad day, but I'm just giving my experience.