Cheating Allegations at your program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is old news now, and there is a thread (or two) in the med forum, but I was reading this article earlier today:

Cheating happens at every level and can be committed by anyone (i.e., student or an attending), but there should be integrity in medicine, and the honor code should be followed. That said, a fair due process is also imperative for the best outcome to prevent future failures from school Admins. In the above case (at Dartmouth), the process was not fair to the students, IMO.

So, just wondering if there are similar cases you know of at your program? What was the outcome? Are exams still virtual from home?

This is not a name/shame thread, but given the pandemic, it's important to know how the 9 programs handle such cases (if any), because like everything in Podiatry, I am sure it all 'varies'.

Members don't see this ad.

I read that over in one of the student forums. Ugh. There was some sort of cheating event that occurred at DMU when I went that I believe involved DO students and going to the bathroom over and over during exams. I remember hearing about it minimally afterwards and thinking back to these people who ran to the bathroom the second exams started. Some professor found answers hidden by a toilet or something like that.

During my 3rd year we took some of our exams on computers (albeit at the school in a classroom with proctors) but I still thought the school handled it poorly. While for most things the school was reasonably legit this was meh. We went to an auditorium. Brought in our bags, computers, etc and were studying right up until we logged into their software. I remember looking around and thinking that some people were logged in and some people were still studying.

When I was an undergrad I took a physiology class. It was taught by 5 different professors but they all used the same examination. It was given once. If you missed it because you were sick you took an entirely different exam. Seating was by random number generator. No bags. No notes. Student ID and a pencil. Zero speaking allowed in the testing room. No questions could be asked. If your pencil broke you raised your hand and got a new one. No leaving. No bathroom breaks. It was the most regimented examination experience I've ever had. The school wasn't military but still had the military honor code on the front page.

Spoke to students at other programs and not to my surprise, there was numerous expulsion due to cheating. At a few of these places, students were basically having a group chat using skype/WhatsApp. Good riddance in these instances, but I'm sure a few were targeted due to the software/AI issues.

I'm sure everyone is waiting to back live on campus asap :smack: