At what point is it mistreatment rather than teaching at an externship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxo111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering as I am externing at these places, at what point should I feel like a program is just abusing externs rather than teaching them and stay away from them? I think we are all being brainwashed at school to accept any order as an authority, but I think some of the things are coming out as unfair in my opinion. For instance, I was asked to cover a “clinic” by a senior at one of the programs when I just shadow there because I can’t see patients independently. I was actually supposed to be off that day because a second year resident wanted me to have that day off in the schedule as there were no cases going on and it was my last day so they did not see my need to come to clinic just to shadow. I am not complaining about being there but I just felt like if another resident gave me the day off, I don’t understand why this senior resident was telling me to come any way (they asked me to come AFTER schedule was sent). It was also a waste of time btw…….it was a nails and callus clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

1) you chose a poor program to extern at
2) learn to crawl before you run and treat each expeirence as a learning opportunity no matter how “bad” it is.
3) you’re in for a real shocker when you work your first job and see your schedule filled with this
4) refer back to #1

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would just take the L and move on. Remember that when you extern at programs, you are interviewing them as well. If you felt mistreated, abused or were otherwise unimpressed with the program then the best choice would be to not rank them and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, what you are describing is not mistreatment. It sounds unfair, but it's part of the job as a student. Listen, learn, and move on.
Hierarchy matters in every field. There are other programs, so def visit them and rank accordingly.

Reactions: 2 users