Cheating on Finals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slowpoke

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was taking my last final today. I had bombed the midterm and needed to do well on the final (66% of the course) and as this thought cycled through my head I noticed something.

The girl at the end of the row was cheating off her neighbor, who was admittedly her friend. There was no seating chart and they strategically sat next to each other.

What would you have done?

Maybe I'll tell you what I did if this thread warrants a big enough discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Let it go. They won't make it that far in life by using those tactics. There is no need to meddle.

So I was taking my last final today. I had bombed the midterm and needed to do well on the final (66% of the course) and as this thought cycled through my head I noticed something.

The girl at the end of the row was cheating off her neighbor, who was admittedly her friend. There was no seating chart and they strategically sat next to each other.

Shut the **** up and worry about yourself.

Thanks,
Poliscidoc

Also premed moral police= go to hell

Members don't see this ad :)

I would have minded my own business and kept it movin'.

i would have told on them. probably with tears in my eyes as well. definitely would have thrown a temper tantrum yelling "it's not fair." i would have also made sure everyone knew i was a tattletale and not to mess with me. then everyone would think i was really cool and we would all smoke cigarettes. this is what i dream medical school is like.

One time a friend requested to cheat off me on the final, and i told him i really didnt care, but that i wasnt going to make it easy for him, and I would be out of there as soon as I was finished. He agreed, and did not study whatsoever for it (wasnt completely cumulative). He came in, saw me and sat next to me ready to go. Then the professor comes in and for the first time assigns seats!
Obviously he did not end up next to me, failed the final and ended up failing the class. I guess I could have been a better friend and told him off, but he asked like 2 days before the final, so even if he had made the effort he probably would have failed.
Anyways, point being is that cheaters will eventually dig their own grave, so dont concern yourself with it and concentrate on what you are doing.

Let it go. If the professor doesn't catch them first-hand, your meddling will just make you look like a petulant child who didn't get his way (i.e. "It's not fair, they got to cheat but I had to study...sob")...not saying you did any of this, OP, just giving an example...

And let's be honest, for the most part, people who cheat are not the ones acing the classes, they are the ones looking to barely pass. I'm not saying it's right, but you'd gain nothing by telling on them...I would have just concentrated on my test, especially if I needed an amazing grade to pass the course.

I once bitched to a friend of mine (now a successful Medical Director) about this, since he did his surgical residency at my school. He promised me that in medicine, the good ones always rise to the top, and the rest sink...whether it happens in med school, residency, or even years later. I was complaining about the privileged bunch who have access to the "holy grail" of old exams that lazy professors basically recycle. It killed me that I studied so hard to master the material while others spent two days memorizing correct answers to the questions that were almost definitely going to show up on the exam.

A classmate of mine was granted admission to some top med schools this year. She was asked on two separate interviews whether or not she'd turn in a cheater. She was honest...she said she'd be afraid to be the whistle-blower, since she might alienate her classmates AND her professors by pointing out the flaws of others. She explained that it's not her responsibility to monitor her fellow students, UNLESS a patient's health might be compromised by her actions. The first time, she was worried about her answer. Before that school accepted her (they did), she answered the same way on another interview, and the interviewer commended her for her honesty. She said most students are too afraid NOT to say "yes, of course I'd do it," and that her reasoning was sound.

Let it go. Let medicine sort people out. Not your responsibility.

I once bitched to a friend of mine (now a successful Medical Director) about this, since he did his surgical residency at my school. He promised me that in medicine, the good ones always rise to the top, and the rest sink...whether it happens in med school, residency, or even years later. I was complaining about the privileged bunch who have access to the "holy grail" of old exams that lazy professors basically recycle. It killed me that I studied so hard to master the material while others spent two days memorizing correct answers to the questions that were almost definitely going to show up on the exam.

A classmate of mine was granted admission to some top med schools this year. She was asked on two separate interviews whether or not she'd turn in a cheater. She was honest...she said she'd be afraid to be the whistle-blower, since she might alienate her classmates AND her professors by pointing out the flaws of others. She explained that it's not her responsibility to monitor her fellow students, UNLESS a patient's health might be compromised by her actions. The first time, she was worried about her answer. Before that school accepted her (they did), she answered the same way on another interview, and the interviewer commended her for her honesty. She said most students are too afraid NOT to say "yes, of course I'd do it," and that her reasoning was sound.

Let it go. Let medicine sort people out. Not your responsibility.

thats a great answer IMO and I was worried what I would say if that was asked in an interview because I sure as HELL would not tattle on someone cheating, it's just not my business.

move on dude.

Guess what, you will see people doing wrong things you're entire life.

You don't need to be the general manager of the universe. If it is hurting you or your own, then you step up. As for thinking, "they are hurting my chance or other people's chances at a grade", well it is a letter on a piece of paper that no one will care about in 10 years (in other words, not that important).

Focus on you.

I heard this conversation between a TA and my chem professor during my final today:

"Hey, you see that guy over there? On the left side? Yeah..him. He totally has a cheat sheet. You can see it! Go around from the other door so he doesn't see you..."

5 minutes later someone stormed out 10 minutes into the final :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)

Personally, I would unequivocally have done nothing. You do you and let the cheater do him.

Last edited:
It would piss me off, but I know that I wouldn't do anything.

If it's any consolation, you professor might figure it out on their own. Unless they simply don't care (which plenty of them don't), I'm sure they keep an eye out for similar answers/scores.

I was talking to my ochem professor once during office hours, and he told me about this ridiculously complicated but sophisticated method he uses on every exam to catch cheaters. No one knew about it, and he was this super laid back and funny guy, so it really surprised me he was so serious about it. I think all of the exams had the same questions, same order, but there was something in there that allowed him to spot red flags every time.

i would have told on them. probably with tears in my eyes as well. definitely would have thrown a temper tantrum yelling "it's not fair." i would have also made sure everyone knew i was a tattletale and not to mess with me. then everyone would think i was really cool and we would all smoke cigarettes. this is what i dream medical school is like.

This post cracked me up

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

I personally believe that it would be easy to just blow them off and let the universe weed them out. However, I would have snitched quicker than a DEA CI in Detroit.

I heard this conversation between a TA and my chem professor during my final today:

"Hey, you see that guy over there? On the left side? Yeah..him. He totally has a cheat sheet. You can see it! Go around from the other door so he doesn't see you..."

5 minutes later someone stormed out 10 minutes into the final :eek:

LOL!!! I've proctored exams, and I'm totally clueless. A colleague of mine walked in and whispered to me, "when are you going to snag THAT guy?" I had no idea what he meant. Apparently the kid had a cheat sheet written in the label of his water bottle. That's supposed to be so common that many schools bar ANY food or drink during exams, and routinely check calculators. Another new one? Girls wearing skirts put cheat sheets in stockings on their thighs, or write things in their own cleavage, because catching them in the act would constitute sexual harassment regardless of who caught it.

SIGH....

Hmm...thats a bit of a toughie... I absolutely DETEST cheaters. It completely undermines everything that you've worked for that this person is cheating and will probably pass/likely pass the test. Its a difficult situation to be in when you catch one because it could affect your relationship with classmates and professors. I get why some people are telling you to move on, and thats fine, but those who sound most vehement/aggressive about it anger me because it implies that honesty is wrong. I'm not saying that the world is sunshine and roses or anything, but morality is not dead for everyone.

Anyways, I've never caught anyone cheating cause I generally tend to keep to myself when testing, eyes on my own paper or quickly scanning the room for a TA or prof when I have a question. I also have this weird habit of always sitting on the edge and like bending over my paper. Basically, I don't give myself a chance to catch others and I don't let others cheat from me.

LOL!!! I've proctored exams, and I'm totally clueless. A colleague of mine walked in and whispered to me, "when are you going to snag THAT guy?" I had no idea what he meant. Apparently the kid had a cheat sheet written in the label of his water bottle. That's supposed to be so common that many schools bar ANY food or drink during exams, and routinely check calculators. Another new one? Girls wearing skirts put cheat sheets in stockings on their thighs, or write things in their own cleavage, because catching them in the act would constitute sexual harassment regardless of who caught it.

SIGH....

OHHHHHHHHHH. I was wondering why for the AP and SAT tests they said "no skirts, only pants." I asked and our proctor didn't know either haha.

Cheating undermines the point of education, but I think cheating because you are lazy is completely different from cheating to pass a course. I know people who legit just can't do the work because they just don't get the material at all, and then I know people who think they are entitled to copy off others. The real world will be a wake up call for these individuals that think they deserve everything handed to them. One guy I know thinks he is incredibly intelligent yet he cheats on every exam, and COMPLAINS when people don't let him copy. LOL

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about. I probably wouldn't care, but I see nothing wrong in giving a tip off to the professor after class.

Let it go. If the professor doesn't catch them first-hand, your meddling will just make you look like a petulant child who didn't get his way (i.e. "It's not fair, they got to cheat but I had to study...sob")...not saying you did any of this, OP, just giving an example...
Reporting cheating = acting like a sobbing petulant child crying about how it's not fair? What? :confused:

I'm surprised at the vulgar comments. Quite unexpected. Anyway heres what I did.............................

nothing... oh ****, surprised?

Edit: Shouldn't be, I've never come across someone or heard of stories of people reporting cheaters. It appears that it just doesn't happen. Atleast as often as there are cheaters.

Last edited:
dude, you're a fellow anteater! Although I won't be one by Sunday :)

anyways, what class was this? My hunch is Ochem...

QUOTE=Slowpoke;9792896]I'm surprised at the vulgar comments. Quite unexpected. Anyway heres what I did.............................

nothing... oh ****, surprised?

Edit: Shouldn't be, I've never come across someone or heard of stories of people reporting cheaters. It appears that it just doesn't happen, either the person is caught or the professor is oblivious.[/QUOTE]

dude, you're a fellow anteater! Although I won't be one by Sunday :)

anyways, what class was this? My hunch is Ochem...

It was N158. Interesting class, great lecturer but tricky exams.

It's funny that the other cheating encounter I've had was also in another neuro clsas (N110). The person was copying off of me and made it very apparent (positioning of body). I ended up writing random-crap into my fill in the blank and fed him the answers and erased them afterwards. At one point I was going to write on my exam "Dude, quit it". When I turned in my exam and was walking out, he was trying to copy off the girl in front of him. I ended up making eye contact with him and shook my head in disappointment, twas a satisfying moment.

The obvious thing to do when you see a cheater is go up to them afterwards, and ask if you could cheat off of them too.

Hey, it's only fair. (Though I suppose it is sort of like blackmail...)

What would I have done? Let them be and drop the class because obviously I'm not doing good in it.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

I personally believe that it would be easy to just blow them off and let the universe weed them out. However, I would have snitched quicker than a DEA CI in Detroit.

:laugh:

I would just go up to them after the test and say...

"Hey, nice cheating out there. You made it so obvious though. When I handed my test in I heard the TA talking to your professor (assuming TAs and your prof proctor the exams) telling him he caught you cheating. I heard this prof is a real stickler when it comes to cheating too, like he reports to university and tries to get kids kicked for academic integrity violation. You might want to go fess up within the next week before the prof reports it to the university and the paper work gets filed. Confessing looks a lot better than being slammed with an expulsion notice in a few weeks."

IE- Make all that **** up, just scare him into confessing when the prof really had no idea, and if he didn't confess he'd at least have a really awful, guilty next week or two.

I really don't care, I'm not going to go out of my way to "tattle" but I would go out of my way to at least talk to him and have fun with it.

I would probably do nothing.

That being said, here's a thought for all you people who'd tattle. You're a 3rd/4th year med student and your attending did an unscrupulous act that was against your "moral code" would you report him/her knowing full well your future rides in their hands?

It was N158. Interesting class, great lecturer but tricky exams.

It's funny that the other cheating encounter I've had was also in another neuro clsas (N110). The person was copying off of me and made it very apparent (positioning of body). I ended up writing random-crap into my fill in the blank and fed him the answers and erased them afterwards. At one point I was going to write on my exam "Dude, quit it". When I turned in my exam and was walking out, he was trying to copy off the girl in front of him. I ended up making eye contact with him and shook my head in disappointment, twas a satisfying moment.

Hahaha. I would have done that too....I've never taken any neuro classes though so I wouldn't know which teacher you would have had. Hope you did well on the final!

I would probably do nothing.

That being said, here's a thought for all you people who'd tattle. You're a 3rd/4th year med student and your attending did an unscrupulous act that was against your "moral code" would you report him/her knowing full well your future rides in their hands?

Why put moral code in quotes? If it something you would lose sleep over (i.e. harmful to patients), wouldn't it be your duty to do something about it? At least thats what my interviewers said....

dang, OP, I was thinking that you might've caused a huge scene or something haha. but way to keep up the suspense in the beginning.

When I'm writing a test I don't really care if I see people copying/if I know people behind are copying me.

With that said, I've proctored a lot of tests and I definitely understand what they mean by repeat cheaters WILL get caught. A lot of students have this misunderstanding that proving cheating on an exam is like a criminal trial - it's not. It doesn't have to be proven beyond any reasonable doubt... Things like suspicious answer choice patterns in conjunction with TA report + suspicious behavior by the student is enough to get an F on your transcript with notation.

But yeah, no, if I'm a student I wouldn't report it. When I'm proctoring I definitely do xD

I would just go up to them after the test and say...

"Hey, nice cheating out there. You made it so obvious though. When I handed my test in I heard the TA talking to your professor (assuming TAs and your prof proctor the exams) telling him he caught you cheating. I heard this prof is a real stickler when it comes to cheating too, like he reports to university and tries to get kids kicked for academic integrity violation. You might want to go fess up within the next week before the prof reports it to the university and the paper work gets filed. Confessing looks a lot better than being slammed with an expulsion notice in a few weeks."

IE- Make all that **** up, just scare him into confessing when the prof really had no idea, and if he didn't confess he'd at least have a really awful, guilty next week or two.

I really don't care, I'm not going to go out of my way to "tattle" but I would go out of my way to at least talk to him and have fun with it.

This right here is exactly what I would do. Make the person suffer with their guilt for a couple weeks and we will see if they cheat again. :laugh:

Well you guys are a bunch of wimps. There was this huge group of students cheating in my Chem II class. Our professor was notorious for giving difficult exams and curving the hell out of them. He gave out a sheet with the periodic table on it on the first day of class. We were to bring it in to use on all our exams.

The thing was, he used to re-use questions and problems from old exams. So someone got copies of old exams and for each exam we had, he'd write all the problems on the periodic table we were supposed to bring in. Then he'd pass it around to the rest of the class prior to test day. Class averages were generally in the mid 80's thanks to this, with those of us not cheating getting screwed by the curve since the tests really were very hard. My friend offered the cheat sheet to me and I refused, but didn't say anything to anyone - until before the final when I was pissed that he was going to curve based on cheaters and I was busting my ass to get a decent grade. I went to the professor's office and told him what was going on. He didn't say anything at all to the class, but on the day of the final, he asked us to leave all our books at the front of the room and he handed out his own periodic tables.

Class average on the final was in the low 50's.

Well you guys are a bunch of wimps. There was this huge group of students cheating in my Chem II class. Our professor was notorious for giving difficult exams and curving the hell out of them. He gave out a sheet with the periodic table on it on the first day of class. We were to bring it in to use on all our exams.

The thing was, he used to re-use questions and problems from old exams. So someone got copies of old exams and for each exam we had, he'd write all the problems on the periodic table we were supposed to bring in. Then he'd pass it around to the rest of the class prior to test day. Class averages were generally in the mid 80's thanks to this, with those of us not cheating getting screwed by the curve since the tests really were very hard. My friend offered the cheat sheet to me and I refused, but didn't say anything to anyone - until before the final when I was pissed that he was going to curve based on cheaters and I was busting my ass to get a decent grade. I went to the professor's office and told him what was going on. He didn't say anything at all to the class, but on the day of the final, he asked us to leave all our books at the front of the room and he handed out his own periodic tables.

Did you end up doing well overall in the class?

Did you end up doing well overall in the class?

I ended up with a B thanks to no curve on the first three exams. Had there not been any cheating in the first place and the curve had been the way it was supposed to be, I probably would have had an A.

Haha, I had a friend who cheated on EVERYTHING...But it was especially bad in O chem. He would go in for the prof's office hours and he would somehow sneak a test out and then fill it out and turn it in. So he would intentionally miss a couple and get like 96% on all his tests. He shared it with my ex so she would memorize it and do the same. Then for the final he convinced her to help him steal it so she did. Someone gave the professor a heads up...(wasn't me tho! My ex was a real loudmouth...) so the professor made up multiple copies of the test for the final...well he got lucky because he still had the original copy to turn in, her not so much. She actually started crying right after the professor handed her the test,and then scribbled through everything because she had no idea what was going on. Everyone heard her scream when she left the room too and she had a complete temper tantrum. It was amazing! Although he never got caught...

I also should add that turning someone in is no good...I was quite a loudmouth my freshman year of college and *accidentally?* turned someone in...not for cheating but for lying. It was in speech class and he had a presentation to give and he emailed the teacher saying he was incredibly sick and so during class the teacher just kind of said we were missing a presentation because so and so was sick. And before I could control myself I blurted out "but I just saw him messing around with his friends in the cafeteria?"...and then I realized what my lack of thought had done and I felt like crap and actually said again outloud that I had no idea why I did that...About 10 people turned around and asked me the same thing and then I got some mean remarks and stares after class. Let them get caught themselves

I agree with most; just let them dig their own grave.

The other day I ran in to a similar situation. Without going in to details, a few people (of a really small class) were in the library. I went up to say hi to them (am friends with a few) and realized that they were developing a cheating strategy and they asked me if I wanted to join them. I just said no thanks. But here is the thing; I was there long enough to see their method and also to see that it flat out was not going to work well. They spent all this time coming up with this "plan," and could have just used that time to study. Anyways, I got a 90% on the exam and the class average was in the mid 60's.

Just some word of advice-

At an interview, I was asked what I would do if I caught someone cheating, and I said essentially what many of you guys have been saying- I would not report them because I couldn't be sure they were actually cheating/ it wasn't really my role/ etc.

Well that didn't really please the interviewer (she actually seemed displeased).

I think if you get asked this in an interview, no matter what you would actually do, say something along the lines of "I would go confront the perp/ I would discreetly email the instructor."

I think you handled this well. On a curved exam, there's nothing wrong with either personally or anonymously letting a professor know how the whole class is cheating or that someone is cheating, if you don't specifically identify that person. That will at least lead the professor to more tightly monitor/proctor exams in the future making it much harder for the cheaters. At the same time you haven't snitched out anyone in particular...

Just some word of advice-

At an interview, I was asked what I would do if I caught someone cheating, and I said essentially what many of you guys have been saying- I would not report them because I couldn't be sure they were actually cheating/ it wasn't really my role/ etc.

Well that didn't really please the interviewer (she actually seemed displeased).

I think if you get asked this in an interview, no matter what you would actually do, say something along the lines of "I would go confront the perp/ I would discreetly email the instructor."

that's interesting that the interviewer got upset. It seems some doctors/teachers definitely expect students to report cheating as a moral duty or something. But the reality is 95% of people won't say anything. I really hope that being honest about this won't hurt a person at interviews. It just seems so fake to be like 'yeah i would e-mail the teacher about it"; i don't think I could even BS that at an interview.

that's interesting that the interviewer got upset. It seems some doctors/teachers definitely expect students to report cheating as a moral duty or something. But the reality is 95% of people won't say anything. I really hope that being honest about this won't hurt a person at interviews. It just seems so fake to be like 'yeah i would e-mail the teacher about it"; i don't think I could even BS that at an interview.

For real. I mean, does the interviewer really want a generic answer that is obviously not the whole truth, and is that really a quality that we should be looking for in doctors---> Saying whatever you think people want to hear? I don't think so...

i feel like in part it is a social responsibility of pre meds, med students, and etc to do something about cheating, and by that i don't necessarily mean narking but alternatives seem not effective. this isn't elementary school any more where grades were for ****s and giggles, this is the real thing, people are taking tests that will determine whether they get into med school, whether they become doctors or not. Forget the fairness factor for a second, although it is still a vital component of the argument, and lets keep in mind the safety of future patients and those who will consult medical advice from these "cheaters". What keeps cheaters who abuse the fairness of a test from abusing their positions? I firmly believe that there are no easy way out of becoming a doctor, no shortcuts, and as much as undergrad and medical school teaches and test you about biology, anatomy, and physiology, it is also a lesson/test on your character and ethics. The rigorous educational aspect of medical education reflects the intense lifestyles and the commitments that doctors have to make. IF these students cannot withstand academic pressure and seeks to find a easy way out of school, what prevents them from seeking an easy way out of a surgery. Good grades aren't the only thing (at least i hope) that will make a good doctor

i feel like in part it is a social responsibility of pre meds, med students, and etc to do something about cheating, and by that i don't necessarily mean narking but alternatives seem not effective. this isn't elementary school any more where grades were for ****s and giggles, this is the real thing, people are taking tests that will determine whether they get into med school, whether they become doctors or not. Forget the fairness factor for a second, although it is still a vital component of the argument, and lets keep in mind the safety of future patients and those who will consult medical advice from these "cheaters". What keeps cheaters who abuse the fairness of a test from abusing their positions? I firmly believe that there are no easy way out of becoming a doctor, no shortcuts, and as much as undergrad and medical school teaches and test you about biology, anatomy, and physiology, it is also a lesson/test on your character and ethics. The rigorous educational aspect of medical education reflects the intense lifestyles and the commitments that doctors have to make. IF these students cannot withstand academic pressure and seeks to find a easy way out of school, what prevents them from seeking an easy way out of a surgery. Good grades aren't the only thing (at least i hope) that will make a good doctor

So you just found out your best friend cheated on a test in medical school. You would just turn in him/her without a second thought? This issue is not as cut and dry as you are making it out to be.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wow, I would figure that you'd be too tired from polishing your halo and harp to have written this reply:rolleyes:

Chill out, life isn't fair.