Check out this pre-allo thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY Musicologist

Career Changer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just FYI for any nontrad looking to procrastinate:

"Something I noticed at interviews..." has been hot today: a traditional student questioning the reasons for, and (in)advisability of, the (perceived) glut of nontrads entering med school. The OP seems to have some misconceptions and perhaps some confidence issues, and does NOT seem particularly receptive of other SDNers' perspectives regarding the potential value of life experience, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

NY Musicologist said:

"Something I noticed at interviews..." has been hot today: a traditional student questioning the reasons for, and (in)advisability of, the (perceived) glut of nontrads entering med school. The OP seems to have some misconceptions and perhaps some confidence issues, and does NOT seem particularly receptive of other SDNers' perspectives regarding the potential value of life experience, etc...
Another thread that always pops up is the MD > DO, etc., usually written by an OP like what you describe. Another is "I got into XYZ school and now I want to reapply because I am too good for XYZ."

Check out the "wave a magic wand" thread in Pre-allo as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
MJB said:
Anyone else ever feel sorry for some of those folks that post like that?

I pity him, but when I was that age I probably thought I knew everything too. :confused:

Oh, don't get me wrong, when I was coming out of school, I was a complete *****....I just hope I didn't do or say anything TOO stupid.

I remember being optimistic and everything!

NY Musicologist said:

Fortunately nontrads are held in higher regard by residency directors, future employers and the like. There have been numerous published comments of concern by practitioners that many of the current traditional med students possess too much of "an air of entitlement", including an expectation of higher than reasonable salaries and lower than actual hours, and tend to exhibit a lack some maturity in these matters. Nontrads are thus reaping benefit from their more realistic attitudes and expectations.

Apparently that misguided soul isn't alone, as the oldpremed forums were hacked today. :(

I wish the mods had the option of revoking one's ability to start new threads for a few days. I think banning somebody is severe punishment not warranted in the thread in question - but the OP's tone was such that perhaps not starting any new discussion for a few days would be appropriate. Not that I have control issues or anything... I think the non-trads should just send the OP to bed early with no dessert. :laugh:

I am glad I missed out on this thread while it was open. It never ceases to amaze me how some people are so closed minded about the obvious. Oh well, such is life.

Like RxnMan said, its just one of those threads intended to rile people up because the OP was placing him/herself on some pseudopedestal for all to see and worship :p .

My favorite is how some post that they got their grades from either:

1) "top tier" school

or

2) "Ivy league" school

Hehehehe. Cracks me up. I think the best way is to try to laugh at it. But if i was here this morning to see this thread when it was open, I'd prolly get a riled up too ;) .

Non-TradTulsa said:
I wish the mods had the option of revoking one's ability to start new threads for a few days. I think banning somebody is severe punishment not warranted in the thread in question - but the OP's tone was such that perhaps not starting any new discussion for a few days would be appropriate. Not that I have control issues or anything... I think the non-trads should just send the OP to bed early with no dessert. :laugh:

This is currently under consideration for new users! Also, being post-held is an alternative to being banned and is sometimes used. :)

MJB said:
Anyone else ever feel sorry for some of those folks that post like that?

Very. He actually has a mindset that makes posts like that look like a good idea in some way.

My pity is tempered by the fact that he could choose not to have that mindset if he wanted to. Then again, it's bolstered by the fact that I was an arrogant little twit, too, at his stage in life.

I can understand his frustration; I would have had a difficult time setting myself apart from the crowd if I'd done this right out of undergrad, rather than after 8 years of real life. Nevertheless, his approach to the problem is scarcely helpful.

relentless11 said:
...I am glad I missed out on this thread while it was open...
I'm positive I would have written something emotionally charged if it was open when I read it.

relentless11 said:
one of those threads intended to rile people up because the OP was placing him/herself on some pseudopedestal for all to see and worship :p .
Maybe not in this thread's case. I think Quickclot hit the nail on the head - the OP was scared. Imagine yourself applying and you know a couple of pre-med non-trads. They're filling out all the ECs like they're nothing, and you struggled to get your free clinic spot last summer. They have lower GPAs than you, but are getting 'forgiveness' (i.e. 'look as good as you') despite you working hard all three ugrad years. (I say 'forgiveness' because I know I'll imagine the worst reason for a perceived fault in someone I'm envious of).

Yeah, I can imagine someone freaking out.

RxnMan said:
I'm positive I would have written something emotionally charged if it was open when I read it.

Maybe not in this thread's case. I think Quickclot hit the nail on the head - the OP was scared. Imagine yourself applying and you know a couple of pre-med non-trads. They're filling out all the ECs like they're nothing, and you struggled to get your free clinic spot last summer. They have lower GPAs than you, but are getting 'forgiveness' (i.e. 'look as good as you') despite you working hard all three ugrad years. (I say 'forgiveness' because I know I'll imagine the worst reason for a perceived fault in someone I'm envious of).

Yeah, I can imagine someone freaking out.

I saw a lot of this in my post bac. I would ask them to sit back and think about it this way:
1. If for whatever reason you don't get in now, you could go and do something else for a few years, get some experience, and be me.
2. I can never go back and be you.

megboo said:
I'm tired of the God-bashing too.

Grrrr - how is it helpful to bash religion, age, school choice, etc.?
The problem isn't god-bashing, or age-bashing, or any other kind of bashing; that's just the symptom. The real problem is a general lack of respect for the ideas of others who don't think exactly like you do, and a lack of ability to comprehend the concept that two perfectly rational people can analyze the same set of data and come to dramatically different conclusions. Any time you have a matter open to interpretation, people will interpret it differently. Some interpretations are certain to be better than others, but we won't always be able to know which ones are best (as with the god issue, for example), and it's hubris to think that there is no possibility whatsoever that you could be wrong about even your most deeply held and most cherished beliefs. That's true for all of us, no matter what our age is.

There's also the fact that while a college student cannot even begin to wrap his/her mind around the reality of what it's like to be over age 30, we non-trads CAN remember what it was like to be college-aged. You couldn't pay me all the money in the world to convince me to re-live my times of adolescent angst. ;)

QofQuimica said:
...lack of ability to comprehend the concept that two perfectly rational people can analyze the same set of data and come to dramatically different conclusions. Any time you have a matter open to interpretation, people will interpret it differently...it's hubris to think that there is no possibility whatsoever that you could be wrong about even your most deeply held and most cherished beliefs. That's true for all of us, no matter what our age is.
This is key - an inability or unwillingness to be open to ideas. It is difficult to be open because you make yourself vulnerable to critisim and being wrong, both of which are hard to deal with, even painful. You need a strong sense of self to combat this, and that only comes with time.

QofQuimica said:
The problem isn't god-bashing, or age-bashing, or any other kind of bashing; that's just the symptom. The real problem is a general lack of respect for the ideas of others who don't think exactly like you do, and a lack of ability to comprehend the concept that two perfectly rational people can analyze the same set of data and come to dramatically different conclusions. Any time you have a matter open to interpretation, people will interpret it differently. Some interpretations are certain to be better than others, but we won't always be able to know which ones are best (as with the god issue, for example), and it's hubris to think that there is no possibility whatsoever that you could be wrong about even your most deeply held and most cherished beliefs. That's true for all of us, no matter what our age is.

Lack of respect is the key phrase. A lot of people know what they want for themselves, be it religion, sexual orientation, career, etc. but people always think they know better.

I have a big problem with the blatant attacks on any thread, including the Drs. Lounge. Just because someone isn't a Christian or Muslim or whatever doesn't give them the right to start a thread to bash them. At the same time, those overzealous about their beliefs should also show some respect and not start threads designed to put other people down when they disagree. I'm not sure this is a fault of being young, or just being disrespectful, like you said.

One one hand, there is a connection with religion and medicine, especially when it comes to abortion, euthanasia, and sex, as well as specific patient or physician issues. However, it's sad that you can't have a decent conversation without someone calling you names (b*tch, ******, idiot, small-minded, stupid, dumb, and the list goes on). I don't have a problem with politics, religion, whatever being discussed in the appropriate forums, but I also think the mods need to do a better job in the Drs. Lounge. It's sad that so many people stay away from that part of the forum because they don't want to get attacked for their input.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. Just frustrated I guess.

megboo said:
Lack of respect is the key phrase. A lot of people know what they want for themselves, be it religion, sexual orientation, career, etc. but people always think they know better.

I have a big problem with the blatant attacks on any thread, including the Drs. Lounge. Just because someone isn't a Christian or Muslim or whatever doesn't give them the right to start a thread to bash them. At the same time, those overzealous about their beliefs should also show some respect and not start threads designed to put other people down when they disagree. I'm not sure this is a fault of being young, or just being disrespectful, like you said.

One one hand, there is a connection with religion and medicine, especially when it comes to abortion, euthanasia, and sex, as well as specific patient or physician issues. However, it's sad that you can't have a decent conversation without someone calling you names (b*tch, ******, idiot, small-minded, stupid, dumb, and the list goes on). I don't have a problem with politics, religion, whatever being discussed in the appropriate forums, but I also think the mods need to do a better job in the Drs. Lounge. It's sad that so many people stay away from that part of the forum because they don't want to get attacked for their input.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. Just frustrated I guess.
My understanding is that the Doctor's Lounge is completely unmoderated for the most part unless the personal attacks are particularly vicious. I avoid that website altogether; I really don't think the occasional kernals of wheat to be found there are worth having to sort through silos of chaff along with being regularly pelted with other people's manure. ;) There are some good discussions about issues like these in the Healthcare Topics forum sometimes, and it's a lot more civil there.

QofQuimica said:
My understanding is that the Doctor's Lounge is completely unmoderated for the most part unless the personal attacks are particularly vicious. I avoid that website altogether; I really don't think the occasional kernals of wheat to be found there are worth having to sort through silos of chaff along with being regularly pelted with other people's manure. ;) There are some good discussions about issues like these in the Healthcare Topics forum sometimes, and it's a lot more civil there.

Aha! Now some things make a little more sense. I didn't know it was an unmoderated forum :).