check this out.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, had a quick question.

I am a non traditional applicant (25 year old college grad with a B.S. in psychology, B.A. in child development)

I am currently taking my prereq courses at my local college. I work full time (50+hrs a week), am married, and have a small child which makes it only possible for me to take one course a semester.

Do you guys think that adcoms will look down on this? (that I am not able to take more than one class at a time?)

Thanks for the input in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I don't think so, as long as you make it clear that you know medical school will entail a major lifestyle change. I also have a child and until the end of April, worked full time as the CEO of a nonprofit agency while going to school part-time. I "retired" in time for summer classes and the application process. I'll find some other temporary-type job after summer is over.

As long as the adcom knows that you understand the time constraints of med school, and as long as you can demonstrate that you can handle the rigorous schedule once you are admitted, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck!

OP-

You're good to go. Tons of folks do it the way that you're doing it. Ideally you're taking these courses at a 4yr. institution and not a CC, but you can perhaps get around that too. The idea is of course to do VERY well with what your taking, and to ace that there MCAT! I interviewed at eight schools, and was accepted at all eight. My BS is in Occupational Therapy.

Good luck with it!

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
bigdan said:
OP-

You're good to go. Tons of folks do it the way that you're doing it. Ideally you're taking these courses at a 4yr. institution and not a CC, but you can perhaps get around that too. The idea is of course to do VERY well with what your taking, and to ace that there MCAT! I interviewed at eight schools, and was accepted at all eight. My BS is in Occupational Therapy.

Good luck with it!

dc

Yes, Ideally I would be taking these classes at a 4year, but I had to work almost full time through undergrad and in the end, came out of school with quite a nice debt.

With a family, I cannot afford to back to a University and take these classes. So, for the time being, a CC must sufice.

chan said:

I am a non traditional applicant (25 year old college grad with a B.S. in psychology, B.A. in child development)

I am currently taking my prereq courses at my local college. I work full time (50+hrs a week), am married, and have a small child which makes it only possible for me to take one course a semester.

Do you guys think that adcoms will look down on this? (that I am not able to take more than one class at a time?)

I work full-time (50+ hrs/week) and have since day one of undergrad, I have a wife and a small child and a dog...and I have had 15-18 credits for 4 years now and am doing 1 more year of the same to finish a BA and a BS before medical school. So "possible" might be too strong of a word. However, the point stands that you shouldn't worry about only taking a few creds/semester. That's pretty much the way it's done with us non-trads.

as long as youre a cat power fan i dont think theyll give a ****

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have good foundation, you'll be fine. There are number of schools that accept many non-traditional students.

chan said:

One thing adcoms like to see in non-trad students is their ability to hand full loads of science/nonscience classes. If you take 1-2 classes a semester, they aren't convinced you can handle the 20+ credits per semester that medical school requires, as a MINIMUM. They will almost certainly be concerned about your time availability if you stress that you only have enough time for 1 class a semester. Keep that in mind! I would spend at least 1 but preferrably 2 semesters doing at least 15 credits. This will show them that you can handle your time wisely and that you get good grades under pressure (assuming you get good grades). :)

Sanctuary said:
One thing adcoms like to see in non-trad students is their ability to hand full loads of science/nonscience classes. If you take 1-2 classes a semester, they aren't convinced you can handle the 20+ credits per semester that medical school requires, as a MINIMUM. They will almost certainly be concerned about your time availability if you stress that you only have enough time for 1 class a semester. Keep that in mind! I would spend at least 1 but preferrably 2 semesters doing at least 15 credits. This will show them that you can handle your time wisely and that you get good grades under pressure (assuming you get good grades). :)

did you even read what I posted? Obviously I would have time in med school to take 20+ credits.... I wouldnt have a full time job.