check this out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dencology

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
guys, what is the answer:

a salmon swims hundreds of miles to spawn where it was hatched. this is an example of
a. classical conditioning
b. habituation
c. imprinting
d. operant conditioning
e. fix action pattern

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
guys, what is the answer:

a salmon swims hundreds of miles to spawn where it was hatched. this is an example of
a. classical conditioning
b. habituation
c. imprinting
d. operant conditioning
e. fix action pattern

Its imprinting because its a specific acquired behavior during the critical period. Here, the critical period is when salmons' are hatched..the odor/location of the spawn is imprinted into their memory so they can naturally go back when its time to mature.

FAP will be constant, the animal will do it no matter what. But here the animal won't go back to its spawn if its not matured.

Its imprinting because its a specific acquired behavior during the critical period. Here, the critical period is when salmons' are hatched..the odor/location of the spawn is imprinted into their memory so they can naturally go back when its time to mature.

FAP will be constant, the animal will do it no matter what. But here the animal won't go back to its spawn if its not matured.

I agree with the answer but i don't agree with the explanation.
It will not be FAP because FAP's are in response to a stimulus and once started can be stopped until the action in completed. So... there is no stimulus that the salmon encounter in the ocean that makes them swim back to their spawning grounds or place of birth. It is imprinting because like Yakuza said. they environment in which they are born is imprinted on them. This is one of the big reason why habitat alteration is a problem. The fish can find the area the imprinted.

For habituation think about a "habit". Here you're breaking a bad pointless habit, like pointlessly shaking your knee while studying.

IdahoDoc, why it is not habituation?

Because habituation is when you learn to ignore a repeated stimulus. We can think of it this way. In order for it to be habituation a continuos stimulus would have to be applied to the fish to stay away from its breading stream and once that stimulus is applied so much and for so long then the fish would ignore it and return. Since there is no stimulus that keeps the fish in the ocean it is not habituation. Hope that makes sense.

well explained. thanks to both of you IdahoDoc and yakuza.
I wanted also to ask why it is that in autosomal recessive there is a 1/4 chance that a child will have a disease?
guys, i have a hard time with this particular subject. i just don't understand it. if you can clarify it for me that would be great.

i added both of you to my favorite friend list. did you get my request?

well explained. thanks to both of you IdahoDoc and yakuza.
I wanted also to ask why it is that in autosomal recessive there is a 1/4 chance that a child will have a disease?
guys, i have a hard time with this particular subject. i just don't understand it. if you can clarify it for me that would be great.

i added both of you to my favorite friend list. did you get my request?

I am guessing that your are crossing a heterozygous person with autosomal recessive that is expressing the trait. If this is the case then there is only a 1/4 chance, while it will show up in 2/4 it is recessive and only will be expressed in one of those 2 cases.

a a’
A Aa Aa’
a aa aa’ The only one that is expressed