PhD/PsyD Chemical Dependency pre-licensure course for CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcphd

Reaction score
Hello, Where are people doing the Chemical Dependency pre-licensure course? JFK University is closing and I am looking for options in addition to Alliant.

Members don't see this ad.

Back when I was close to being licensed, I couldn’t find many options at all and did JFK; in fact Alliant and JFK may have been the only options. The chemical dependency course (unlike all the others) has to be from a degree-granting institution, but few universities offer this specific pre-licensure designation course.

A lot of online CE companies say they offer it but it won’t count, so I’d just go with Alliant to make sure it will be accepted as a valid pre-licensure course.

Edit: see this thread:

Members don't see this ad :)
See if your local VA offers it. They might let you attend even if not VA-affiliated.
It has to be from a degree-granting institution. CA is picky about their requirements for licensure including pre-licensure courses so they probably seem a little strange to folks outside of the state.

I took mine at a VA. Maybe it's considered offered via our academic affiliate.
I'm surprised that it was allowed, because it's clearly in the BOP regs that this course must be completed at an academic institution--so I guess it must have been affiliated as part of whatever institution that was. You're lucky it counted, then!