Chemical Engineer to Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dancer5072

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am a junior in High School and I plan to major in Chemical Engineering, and with that degree I want to go to Pharmacy school afterwards and work at a company like Pfizer afterwards. Is the degree that I want compatible for what I want to do? or am I completely insane. I absolutely love chemistry and I want to be involved with it for the rest of my life.
 
Go for a PhD in pharmacology instead. The majority of pharmacists work in settings where you use little or none of the chemistry you learn in school.
 
Agreed. I have my undergrad in Chemistry/Biochemistry and I use basically none of that knowledge in my pharmacy career. Go for the PhD if working in pharmaceuticals is what you are interested in.