This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kay5

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a current freshman in Chemical Engineering, but my main goal is to continue onto medical school. However, recently I've been rethinking my choice because I don't want to get a bad gpa and have added stress on top trying to add in all biology courses, etc.

The main problem is I'm getting a full tuition scholarship from the engineering department. So if I switch to a different department I lose all of my scholarships.

I've been considering switching to interdisciplinary computing (I have little programming experience, but I absolutely love math) with a concentration in biology.

Just wanted some advice on whether I should "Stick with it", try a new major that sounds interesting (computing), or completely change departments and just find another source of funding?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

So for perspective, I’m a biomedical engineering major who applied this cycle and have been accepted to one of my top choice schools, so take what I say as you will.

It is entirely possible to get a good GPA while in any engineering so long as you are willing to put in the effort. That doesn't mean it's easy, but if you go into your ChemE classes willing to do what it takes to do well, you'll be fine. The main deciding factor should be, "Is this something I am interested in and willing to put the effort into in order to get the grades I need to get into medical school?" If your answer to that is anything but a firm yes, switch majors.
That being said, you might get a little more attention in your interviews having a "non-traditional pre-med major." Several of my interviewers commented on me being in BME and because it's a field I enjoy and am very interested in, I was able to talk about it in a way that came off positively (I'm assuming it did; I got accepted). But this should not be your deciding reason to continue in Chem E, if you only want to do it because it'll look good or something like that, switch.
As far as adding bio courses, I did have to add in two classes not covered by my degree plan, but that was pretty easy to slot in over summers while I was doing other resume building activities.
If you think you're more passionate about math than ChemE it might be worth it to switch if you're willing to forego that scholarship. Any financial decision is ultimately up to you though, no one here can make that decision for you.
Ultimately, I don't regret doing BME and pre-med, engineering is an exciting discipline and several physicians I know who did engineering in undergrad all comment on how well it prepared them for medical school/their careers (anecdotes, I'm sure others have hated it).

Sorry for the wall of text, but this is something I debated a lot myself throughout undergrad and I'm happy with how it's ended up for me.
If you have any other questions feel free to reach out.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

I'm a current freshman in Chemical Engineering, but my main goal is to continue onto medical school. However, recently I've been rethinking my choice because I don't want to get a bad gpa and have added stress on top trying to add in all biology courses, etc.

The main problem is I'm getting a full tuition scholarship from the engineering department. So if I switch to a different department I lose all of my scholarships.

I've been considering switching to interdisciplinary computing (I have little programming experience, but I absolutely love math) with a concentration in biology.

Just wanted some advice on whether I should "Stick with it", try a new major that sounds interesting (computing), or completely change departments and just find another source of funding?

Thank you!

I can’t give incredibly comprehensive advice, but I can attest to the fact that engineering is hard and gpa is important. I went to an engineering school and I had friends who wanted to do medical school but were prevented from going due to their GPAs. However, their GPAs were low due to their own study habits as well, not solely the class material and difficulty. Have you thought about moving to a “less intense” (not saying it’s easy, and not attempting to offend) engineering discipline? Industrial is actually incredibly applicable to health care systems and from my vantage point was really interesting. The alternative major you provided sounded like something you would enjoy as well and that could possibly be less strenuous. Or if you think you will be able to balance the class load and properly manage your time, stick with it.

Also, you’re a freshman and you have time. I started school thinking I was going to do Pharm and changed to md, then NP because I didn’t think I had what it takes to get into md, and am going to be going to an MD school next fall after realizing I was just being an anxious mess. Your path may not be linear and that scholarship is pretty important no matter if people say it’s just a small chunk of change compared to medical school. If you decide not to go and can’t find other funding, you’ll be slammed with the debt that you didn’t need to have.

Tl;dr: Stick with what would make you happy if you didn’t go to medical school, but study and commit to classes like you are.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really wanted to do biomedical engineering, but my university doesn't offer it. It also doesn't have industrial engineering otherwise I would definitely consider it!

I think my biggest fear came from talking to upperclassmen who were ChemE (at my university) and they all said they wish they would have done a different engineering major because ChemE was super difficult and stressful for the return. Should I take this warning with a grain of salt?

If I went to interdisciplinary computing I could still keep my scholarships, so I'm very tempted. I just don't know if it'll be any better GPA-wise.

I really wanted to do biomedical engineering, but my university doesn't offer it. It also doesn't have industrial engineering otherwise I would definitely consider it!

I think my biggest fear came from talking to upperclassmen who were ChemE (at my university) and they all said they wish they would have done a different engineering major because ChemE was super difficult and stressful for the return. Should I take this warning with a grain of salt?

If I went to interdisciplinary computing I could still keep my scholarships, so I'm very tempted. I just don't know if it'll be any better GPA-wise.

Have you talked to people in the interdisciplinary computing major? I would think if you were set on med school and didn’t even really enjoy ChemE that much, why do it? It seems like a lot of stress for little payout and an engineering or computer science major still sets you apart, though the importance of that is debated in different places on here.

So I think I had a very similar situation as you. I am a ChemE and chose to do so because a majority of my scholarship came from the engineering department of my university. I'm currently applying/interviewing this cycle.

Similar to you, I'm very math oriented which is why I chose to stick with engineering over changing to a different major and losing some of my scholarship. Oddly enough, my engineering classes actually raised my science GPA, possibly because I was forced to spend more time on them.

I personally enjoyed the engineering route to medicine. However, I think it depends on the person. If you're more of a math minded individual as you say, then I'd definitely stick with ChemE. The majority of upper level ChemE courses are essentially complex math and physics courses which plays well for you if that's where you find your success. Also, if you're department is similar to mine, the ChemE course requirements covers most, if not all of the pre-medical course requirements which is nice.

This is sort of a scatter brained response, but if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Also, you’re a freshman and you have time. I started school thinking I was going to do Pharm and changed to md, then NP because I didn’t think I had what it takes to get into md, and am going to be going to an MD school next fall after realizing I was just being an anxious mess. Your path may not be linear and that scholarship is pretty important no matter if people say it’s just a small chunk of change compared to medical school. If you decide not to go and can’t find other funding, you’ll be slammed with the debt that you didn’t need to have.

Tl;dr: Stick with what would make you happy if you didn’t go to medical school, but study and commit to classes like you are.

This -- Assume for a few minutes that you will, for whatever random reason, decide you absolutely don't want to do medicine. What's you own personal Plan B, and will Chem E prepare you for that? Or would the computing degree be better?

At this stage in your career, Plan B is actually the likelier outcome for any number of reasons, with time between now and then being a big one. As you get closer to applying (or not) are are still on track to be a competitive applicant (or not), then adjust your actions accordingly. Right now either path is still the right general direction.

Upperclassmen tend to be a bit cynical/jaded about their own major. For example, in my graduating class we love to say BME stands for Biggest Mistake Ever, but most of us are still happy with what we've learned and the skills we've developed. I'd imagine that's a similar feeling elsewhere. It probably just stems from the fact that the classes are hard and require a lot of work (as do other majors) so as upperclassmen we like to think it would've been easier to get to the same spot doing something else.

Figure out what you see yourself doing if you decide not to go to medical school and stick with that, but bust your butt to make sure you get the grades to get into medical school, and you'll feel very proud of yourself when you do. The sense of satisfaction you'll get knowing you toughed it out through the hard classes, got the grades you needed, then got into a good medical school will make everything worth it in the end, if you do.

Engineering classes have generous curves; your experience may be different. A 60 could be an A in an engineering class, whereas perhaps 90 is an A in an easier biology or psychology class. You don't really know how you stand unless you actually take a class. Who knows - the "hard" engineering class may be the one where you consistently outperform your classmates and end up being one of your easiest classes.

Hello,

Thank you!

For at least the first year, there will be substantial overlap between your Chem E classes and your premed prerequisites.

Chem I and II, Physics I and II are required by medical schools. Many medical schools require Calc I. Calc II or a stats class can be used to satisfy the 2 semester math requirement at those medical schools that have such a requirement. Orgo I and II are required by medical schools. Biochemistry, which is required by medical schools, is probably an elective for your Chem E degree.

The challenge will be Chem E specific upper level courses and the fact that you probably need to take more courses to complete a BSE than a regular BA.

Do you have to switch immediately if you want to switch? If not, you may want to take a wait and see approach.

If, however, chemical engineering doesn't appeal to you as much as interdisciplinary computing, then you should switch. There's no reason to suffer through 4 years of a major you dislike.

If you're at a highly selective/competitive engineering school, you'll probably find that a lot of the CS majors are pretty proficient at writing software code already and you, as a newbie, will start off at a disadvantage and might suffer a disappointing GPA as a result.

Note that, increasingly, software skills are in high demand in biology and chemistry. You might find an interdisciplinary computing degree to be helpful especially if applying to MD/PhD programs or to research intensive medical schools.