1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

chemical equilibrium

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by BodybldgDoc, Apr 18, 2007.

1. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    PCl5 + 4H20 ---> H3PO4 + 5HCl Delta H = -527KJ

In the above reaction, if the temperature is increased, which direction would the reaction be shifted? To the left or to the right? and why?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. twohearted

twohearted The whistle go . . .
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I believe that since the rxn has a neg. delt. h, it would be considered exothermic. So heat could be written as a product: PCl5 +4H20 -> H3po4 + 5hcl + heat. L'chatliers principle states that when a perturbance in equilibrium occurs, the reaction will be shifted away from the perturbance (paraphrasing here.) Now if the heat would increase, I would think that the rxn would have to go left to resume equilibrium. Does that seem right?

4. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

you are correct. thank you for the explanation.

5. ATLATLATL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    my question is...say for instance if the temperature increased or decreased then which way would it shift?
    and if it was endothermic...then?

6. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

If it was endothermic, then the heat can be written as a reactant. so If you increase the heat from the side of the reactants it will shift towards the right i.e toward the products to bring the equation back to equilibrium.

7. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan!
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If temp. increases and endothermic = goes to right (forward)
    If temp. decreases and endothermic = goes to left

If temp increase and exothermic = goes to left
    If temp decreases and exothermic = goes to right

8. twohearted

twohearted The whistle go . . .
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Lets generalize. Exothermic means Delta H < 0. Heat is a product so: Reactants -> Products + heat. This is the case for the example given. So if heat were added to the system, we must go to the left to restore equilibrium. This is intuitive because if the ratio of the products to reactants must be constant (equilibrium constant Keq), then it must follow that the addition of product would disturb the system such that the rxn would move to form more reactant so that the ratio remain the same(moves left.) Now then, if the heat in this exothermic system (Reactants -> Products + heat), were to be decreased, then naturally more product must be formed to keep that ratio constant (rxn goes right.) For an endothermic rxn we have: Reactants + Heat -> Products. So increasing the heat would drive the rxn to the right, so that the ratio is restored. Likewise lowering the heat in such a system would cause the reaction to move left. If I am completely wrong here, someone please correct me, but it seems pretty intuitive.

9. Nasem

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For endothermic:
    Reactants + head <-----> Product, H is +
    If you +T, shift right --->
    If you -T, shift left <---

For exothermic:
    Reactants <-----> Product + heat, H is -
    If you +T, shift left <---
    If you -T, shift right --->