Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMikes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is one of the assumptions "No net migration" or "No migration."

Destroyer is saying no net migration, but bootcamp is saying no migration. This seems like an important distinction, with conflicting sources all over the place. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Is one of the assumptions "No net migration" or "No migration."

Destroyer is saying no net migration, but bootcamp is saying no migration. This seems like an important distinction, with conflicting sources all over the place. Any thoughts?
How so both coorealte to the idea that the population pool is not changing or increasing genetic variance to somehow change the allelic frequency, and leaving the population in equilibrium which would come in a general question on the dat assuming first of all that it is a hardy Weinberg population and it may ask for certain genotypic frequency, or a conceptual question. However, you also have to assume that usually a population in general does not abide by hardy Weinberg principles because we can't just prohibit mutation as it is by random...

Last edited:
How so both coorealte to the idea that the population pool is not changing or increasing genetic variance to somehow change the allelic frequency, and leaving the population in equilibrium which would come in a general question on the dat assuming first of all that it is a hardy Weinberg population and it may ask for certain genotypic frequency, or a conceptual question. However, you also have to assume that usually a population in general does not abide by hardy Weinberg principles because we can't just prohibit mutation as it is by random...
That's not what I'm really asking.

By saying no net migration it is unclear if it is simply referring to the # of individuals staying constant or of the allele frequencies remaining constant. It is vague.

If there is no migration. There is no change in the allele frequencies.
If there is no net migration. It implies there could be change in allele frequencies because, surely, different individuals could enter than those who left. It does not assume they are identical.

That's not what I'm really asking.

By saying no net migration it is unclear if it is simply referring to the # of individuals staying constant or of the allele frequencies remaining constant. It is vague.

If there is no migration. There is no change in the allele frequencies.
If there is no net migration. It implies there could be change in allele frequencies because, surely, different individuals could enter than those who left. It does not assume they are identical.
Seems like a typo, one of the stipulations for Hardy-Weinberg is that: The population must be isolated from other populations (no gene flow).
I see how that's confusing but essentially just remember that in order for equilibrium to occur there can be no factors that normally affect gene frequencies

Seems like a typo, one of the stipulations for Hardy-Weinberg is that: The population must be isolated from other populations (no gene flow).
I see how that's confusing but essentially just remember that in order for equilibrium to occur there can be no factors that normally affect gene frequencies
Thanks! I just figure by no net migration they have to be referring to the allele frequencies rather than the # of individuals. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense.