Chemistry a good major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahnster13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have decided that if for some reason I do not make it to medical school (I am starting community college in the winter because I can't afford UW for the fall...) that I would like to be a high school chemistry teacher. Chemistry has been my favorite subject since I took regular chem junior year and AP chem senior year, and I feel that if I were to major in chemistry that I would do extremely well. Would chemistry seem too cliche a major as far as medical school admissions committees are concerned? I plan on transferring back to UW some time in the future to finish out my major there, so as long as I get my pre-reqs done and find something unique to do should I be good as far as medical school admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have decided that if for some reason I do not make it to medical school (I am starting community college in the winter because I can't afford UW for the fall...) that I would like to be a high school chemistry teacher. Chemistry has been my favorite subject since I took regular chem junior year and AP chem senior year, and I feel that if I were to major in chemistry that I would do extremely well. Would chemistry seem too cliche a major as far as medical school admissions committees are concerned? I plan on transferring back to UW some time in the future to finish out my major there, so as long as I get my pre-reqs done and find something unique to do should I be good as far as medical school admissions?

Chemistry is a fine major. Medical school admissions committee do not give preference to any particular major as long as you have fulfilled the prerequisites. If you are interested in chemistry, and believe that you will do well in chemistry, then it would be a great choice for you.

Also, there is a huge demand for high school science teachers, so that is a good back up plan if med school does not work out and you are attracted to the teaching profession.

There really are no cliche majors. Even if you are concerned about being too common, chemistry is a less common major for pre-med than bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go for underwater basket weaving.

There really are no cliche majors. Even if you are concerned about being too common, chemistry is a less common major for pre-med than bio.

I would consider bio a cliched major for pre-meds. I don't know of any bio major that isn't pre-health, like someone who wants to go to grad school or get a PhD for something bio related. I know plenty of chemistry majors, though, that want to continue the chemistry track after graduating undergrad. There are people who automatically default to bio because it's the thing to do for health profession schools. At least you're thinking ahead in terms of enjoying it after college.

High school chem teacher is one of my backups too! :thumbup: It's a fine track.

no way is chemistry cliche! i am a chemistry major :)

do something you love - you'll likely do well in it, which is what med schools care about.

Another plus, from my own personal experience, is that majoring in chemistry will help out your MCAT score. Everyone has to take intro and orgo for the MCAT, but the upper level Chem course I am in now is helping me out a lot! It makes MCAT gen chem look silly. But, as others have stated, the important thing is to major in something you enjoy!

Another plus, from my own personal experience, is that majoring in chemistry will help out your MCAT score. Everyone has to take intro and orgo for the MCAT, but the upper level Chem course I am in now is helping me out a lot! It makes MCAT gen chem look silly. But, as others have stated, the important thing is to major in something you enjoy!

Very true. I know acids and bases, electrochemistry, and thermodynamics like no one's business.

Very true. I know acids and bases, electrochemistry, and thermodynamics like no one's business.
Oh electrochemistry... We are killing this topic in my instrumental analysis class right now. If I hear any more about electrodes I'm going to jump out a window :scared:

Chemistry is great if you enjoy it. There's many career pathways you can take from a BS in Chemistry and it is a common major for those entering med-school (probably not as common as biology or biochemistry, but still a science major). Go for it if that is what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a chem major. It was great and thought-provoking but I gotta tell you there aren't many job options aside from teaching. I'm thinking about going for a MS in Chem Engineering though, as a backup for this year's cycle.

If it's relevant to your cause, statistics show that chemistry majors are the most sexually satisfied during their college years...Engineering majors are the least sexually satisfied...Biology is not included in the statistics because it's a soft-science(i.e. pseudo-social science)...Please keep that in mind when choosing a major...

Good Luck with your future endeavours(sp?):thumbup:

If it's relevant to your cause, statistics show that chemistry majors are the most sexually satisfied during their college years...Engineering majors are the least sexually satisfied...Biology is not included in the statistics because it's a soft-science(i.e. pseudo-social science)...Please keep that in mind when choosing a major...

LOL do you have an article to back up? I'd love to show my Business major friend.

omegaword. biology is for people who didn't really understand orgo. =)

Oh electrochemistry... We are killing this topic in my instrumental analysis class right now. If I hear any more about electrodes I'm going to jump out a window :scared:

That class (with lab) is the definition of death. Or so the rumors go...

I say go for it!
And what I say goes!!!
Good Luck!!:thumbup:

Ugh, instrumental = bane of my existence. We are talking about 2D NMR tomorrow. Groan.
ewwww.

gen chem and orgo are fun.
physical, inorganic, and instrumental can go die in a forest, if they could.

if you are going to teach highschool teach mathematics high demand for those and major in mathematics..

NMR isnt so bad... Call me crazy, but I kind of like it. We became very good friends over the course of my research

Yeah, but multidimensional NMR is something else entirely. I haven't seen too many people use it.

ewwww.

gen chem and orgo are fun.
physical, inorganic, and instrumental can go die in a forest, if they could.

Typical medical mentality...what good is knowing general and organic if you can't explain any of it? physical is what makes chemistry actually make sense and explains why reactions happen, why elements have properties at all, and what atomic structure really is. IMO Physical is one of the best classes that you can possibly take at the undergrad level - if you actually want to learn something.

if you are going to teach highschool teach mathematics high demand for those and major in mathematics..

Well, yes, it is common knowledge that mathematics is the most awesome major ever. :cool:

Seriously, if you want to do chem, do chem. Find something that will provide a satisfying backup career. Have fun!

Find something that will provide a satisfying backup career. Have fun!

Are there any other examples of such a major aside from engineering, computer science, pharmacy, and nursing? :p

That's only cause chemistry nerds are happy with any sex that they can get, no matter who (or what) it's from.

:D

Honestly, I don't think any freshman should decide on a major so soon. The way I see it is; take the intro chem classes along with other classes. If you are still in love with it then go for it. But you may end up taking another class that strikes your fancy.

p.s. I'm taking the exact same route you are. P.M me if you want to talk.

Dang, now you tell me? I should have put "human sexuality" instead of "chemistry" as my major on AMCAS.

Man, if I did that I'd be flooded with more interview invites than I can handle right now.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think any freshman should decide on a major so soon. The way I see it is; take the intro chem classes along with other classes. If you are still in love with it then go for it. But you may end up taking another class that strikes your fancy.

p.s. I'm taking the exact same route you are. P.M me if you want to talk.

I see your point in not deciding on a major too soon, but it still feels like wasting time when you don't know exactly what you want and thus can't go straight toward that goal in a focused fashion. Ah well.

Chemistry is for losers. Pick whatever major you are most interested in because it doesn't matter.

Your upper level chemistry classes, after you complete biochemistry, will have nothing to do with medicine. You're not going to run an experiment on MALDI to diagnose a patient.

I would recommend biochemistry if you still want to pursue chemistry. It avoids the biology courses like ecology and botany but allows you to take chemistry courses and others such as microbiology, genetics, immunology and hematology.

Of course, you can major in whatever you want and it won't make a difference.

Your upper level chemistry classes, after you complete biochemistry, will have nothing to do with medicine. You're not going to run an experiment on MALDI to diagnose a patient.

I would recommend biochemistry if you still want to pursue chemistry. It avoids the biology courses like ecology and botany but allows you to take chemistry courses and others such as microbiology, genetics, immunology and hematology.

Of course, you can major in whatever you want and it won't make a difference.

Yeah, but upper level chem classes are pretty thought-provoking. If the goal in picking a major was utility, everybody would pick only one major.

Chemistry is an awesome major ;)

I'm a junior and Chemistry has treated me well so far. I really considered Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering, but I went with Chemistry and I'm glad I did. My friends that are BioE and ChemE are killing themselves with the number of required classes they are taking. I'm big on working out, hanging out with friends, and other leisurely types of things, so the balance afforded by Chemistry is a real positive in my eyes. But if you choose something more intense and you're willing to put up with the stress, all the more power to you.