Chemistry Chapters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoLCareerGoals

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going through Chemistry the Central Science Ed. 10.
So far based on AAMC topic lists I am planning to skip:

Ch 17: Additional Aspects of Aqueous Equilibria (common ion effect, buffered solutions) actually in most doubt about this one.
Ch 18: Chemistry of the Envirenment
Ch 22: Chemistry of the Nonmetals
Ch 23: Metals and Metallyrgy
Ch 24: Chemistry of Coordination compounds
Ch 25: The Chemistry of Life: Organic and Biological Chemistry (will read a separate Organic book anyway)

Sound plan or do I need any of the material above for MCAT? Even if not required, did you think it would be helpful for MCAT (to get deeper insight/etc)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going through Chemistry the Central Science Ed. 10.
So far based on AAMC topic lists I am planning to skip:

Ch 17: Additional Aspects of Aqueous Equilibria (common ion effect, buffered solutions) actually in most doubt about this one.
Ch 18: Chemistry of the Envirenment
Ch 22: Chemistry of the Nonmetals
Ch 23: Metals and Metallyrgy
Ch 24: Chemistry of Coordination compounds
Ch 25: The Chemistry of Life: Organic and Biological Chemistry (will read a separate Organic book anyway)

Sound plan or do I need any of the material above for MCAT? Even if not required, did you think it would be helpful for MCAT (to get deeper insight/etc)?

Thanks.

Definitely do not skip chapter 17. Depending on what exactly is covered in 22/23, you might want to take a look at those too.

Thanks for your input.
Ch 22: has 11 sections with bits of info on a large # of elements. Hydrogen (isotopes, properties), Nobles gases, halogens, oxygen, other 6A elements (their uses, preparation), nitrogen, other 5A elements, carbon (its elemental forms, properties), other 4A elements, boron.
I guess it sounds useful even if not directly listed in topics for MCAT.
Ch 23: occurance and distribution of metals, pyrometllurgy, hudromettalurgy, electrometallurgy, metallic bonding (though covered in an earlier chapter already), alloys, transition metals, chemistry of selected transition metals.

But you def agree 18, 24, 25 can be skipped correct?

To be honest I don't know what a combination compound is, so I don't want to tell you to skip it or not skip it. Chem of the environment seems skippable though.